Model Cars Magazine Forum

Really weird question

Are you talking about inhaling vapors from building materials? I knew a guy in college who loved to huff airplane glue out of a paper sack but never built models. He certainly wouldn't have passed a drug test (and as I recall, he rarely passed any tests at all in college).

(Why do you think they call it DOPE?)

post-4455-0-53890400-1354743216_thumb.pn

Edited by sjordan2

Yea, that's basically what I'm wondering Skip.

I'm hoping to seen be in a situation that I need to take one before long and want to make sure that if I work with some paints, model cement, or other adhesives while working on plastic models or R/C stuff, I won't have any issues caused by the proper use of the stuff. I bought a 3M respirator a while back and try to use that while spray painting stuff, kinda wondering if I should use that if I work on anything else if I do get that opportunity too.

Only if I used Coke instead of rock salt when rusting things...... Not sure in modeling what would cause a "positive" ?

Lol, I always figured that when it comes to conventional drugs, I was good! The most potent things I tend to consume have been OTC IB Profin (Motrin), Acetaminophen (Tylenol), Caffeine (mainly from Coca~Cola products and Iced Tea), as well as Portillo's Chocolate Cake Shakes :lol:

I think you are safe. I've been in a drug testing position for at least 10 years (commercial drivers license) and have taken dozens of drug tests without a problem.

It may vary some by drug test, for example I know the DOT testing program I'm in also looks for alcohol, where most employment drug tests don't.

In general unless it is a test specifically looking for a weird drug (your boss thinks you are huffing paint, abusing cough drops etc) they are looking for illegal drugs, and prescription drug abuse. Interestingly many now also test for things like Goldseal which is a product many take in the belief it will conceal their drug use.

You are given an opportunity to list items you are concerned about like the vicodin your dentist gave you for wisdom teeth, your pot growing neighbors garage burning down last night etc.

Mythbusters did show eating a lot (and it was a silly huge number) of poppyseed bagels, muffins etc was able to give a false positive for opiates. The drug test people said that couldn't happen, but based on that episode they supposedly changed their protocols for that particular aspect of the tests.

Edited by Aaronw

That one should be tested for STDs.

That's nothing, if I get the chance, I'll take a pic of one of the individual ones, those have so many seeds on them that you can barely see bagel in some spots! I've brushed half of them of some of the ones I've had and still had more that what the pictured one has <_<

That's nothing, if I get the chance, I'll take a pic of one of the individual ones, those have so many seeds on them that you can barely see bagel in some spots! I've brushed half of them of some of the ones I've had and still had more that what the pictured one has <_<

I don't think that's what sjordan was talking about....snicker....

So they're now requiring drug tests to work in a hobby shop?

A sad day.

Charlie Larkin

No, I'd be insulted if that were the case........although some of the short term people...................

I'm hoping to get something that will help with the car payment and I don't want to do something that could throw a flag on a drug test.

I think you are safe. I've been in a drug testing position for at least 10 years (commercial drivers license) and have taken dozens of drug tests without a problem.

It may vary some by drug test, for example I know the DOT testing program I'm in also looks for alcohol, where most employment drug tests don't.

In general unless it is a test specifically looking for a weird drug (your boss thinks you are huffing paint, abusing cough drops etc) they are looking for illegal drugs, and prescription drug abuse. Interestingly many now also test for things like Goldseal which is a product many take in the belief it will conceal their drug use.

You are given an opportunity to list items you are concerned about like the vicodin your dentist gave you for wisdom teeth, your pot growing neighbors garage burning down last night etc.

Mythbusters did show eating a lot (and it was a silly huge number) of poppyseed bagels, muffins etc was able to give a false positive for opiates. The drug test people said that couldn't happen, but based on that episode they supposedly changed their protocols for that particular aspect of the tests.

And the testing outfit were wrong! It happened to me years back and I didn't eat a huge amount either! Had 3 rolls with a dinner at a truckstop. Didn't even give a thought to what was on them and a few days later was the "pick" for the random test for the company I drove for.

A phone call to the place where I had ate and the receipt from the meal took care of the issue.