#21 Draggon

Draggon

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,890 posts
  • Full Name:Glenn Asher

Posted 06 December 2012 - 07:07 AM

"Pro-built" on ebay. If most of "them things" are pro built, then I must be the incarnation of Gerald Wingrove.

#22 Greg Myers

Greg Myers

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,860 posts
  • Full Name:Gregory Myers

Posted 06 December 2012 - 07:20 AM

In light of this particular thing, I think anyone working in the automotive retail end, specially car sales should have to endure these same obscenitys. "Thank you Mr. Smith, for your purchase of your grocery's. Would you like paper or plastic? The paper will be an extra $4.95. We're running a special on plastic at $3.98. Let me talk to my manager to see if I can get you the special price. By the way I hope you noticed we lowered your cart fee as you chose one of our wobble free editions. You can wait over here. It wont take long."

*Plus shop fees. Or the similar *Plus disposal fee.

As in, "Oil Change Special, only $24.99!!!*

*Plus $3 disposal fee.

Uh, if the oil change is $24.99 plus a $3 "disposal fee," then the actual price I'll have to pay is $27.99. I assume they won't sell me the oil change without the "disposal fee," so why play the silly games?

#23 Guest_Johnny_*

Guest_Johnny_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 December 2012 - 07:26 AM

It is just like the tire disposal fee when you buy new tires. Even if you take the old tires with you you still have to pay it says the government because you might dump them somewhere and create a superfund cleanup site! :lol:

#24 txdieseldog

txdieseldog

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts
  • Full Name:Barry Bond

Posted 06 December 2012 - 07:50 AM

Her's one for ya. "Billet Aluminum" (whatever part you want to enter here) The term "Billet" refers to the blank chunk of metal in RAW form before it is machined! After that, it becomes an aluminum PART! Not a "Billet" aluminum part. They can add what type of aluminum but that still will not turn it back to billet. And to add "Aircraft aluminum" is just as bad. Building Aircraft with a large quantity of 6061-T6 Aluminum does not make a car part made from 6061-T6 aluminum an "Aircraft Part"! Like it is better because it has the word "Aircraft" in it!

#25 Greg Myers

Greg Myers

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,860 posts
  • Full Name:Gregory Myers

Posted 06 December 2012 - 08:01 AM

If one were to get technical, a motor should only apply to an electric motor.  An engine refers to something with pistons i.e. two and four stroke engines.  This thread could get crazy real fast! 

Where did the term "souped up" originate?

If one were to get technical, a motor should only apply to an electric motor.  An engine refers to something with pistons i.e. two and four stroke engines.  This thread could get crazy real fast! 

Had to look that one up. Interesting.http://en.wiktionary.../wiki/souped-up

#26 Marcus M. Jones

Marcus M. Jones

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts
  • Full Name:Marcus M. Jones

Posted 06 December 2012 - 08:15 AM

Pro Touring.   i have seen many cars get a different set of rims & paint job with a slight drop in stance.   it takes more than just those three things to make a car pro touring.

Let's  all calm down ....... proceed to the modeling table, take a couple of deep breaths and scratchbuild a 1:1 dodge with a posi rearend and pontiac tripower.  It will have mag style wheels that are actually hubcaps.  When it's finished we will call it a ratrod.

LOL

Edited by Marcus M. Jones, 06 December 2012 - 08:19 AM.

#27 Danno

Danno

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,172 posts
  • Full Name:Nameless Natural Luminary

Posted 06 December 2012 - 08:21 AM

Explain.

What do you find annoying about that phrase? (I know people are always falsely claiming that their model is completely scratchbuilt, but that's not the fault of the phrase, it's the fault of the person using the term incorrectly).

I didn't read all the extra specifications.  I didn't realize we were to limit responses to only annoying but properly-used phrases or to assess fault to the phrase not the usage.   ;)  

What I find annoying about that phrase is that it is ALMOST always misappropriated, ALMOST always fraudulently claimed, and then the ne'er-do-well screams like a mashed cat to defend its misuse and all the wringy-handed warm-fuzzies jump on the bandwagon to rationalize or justify its misuse in order to save the feelings of the miscreant.  Otherwise, the phrase itself doesn't annoy me at all.

It's not unlike tracing a picture, filling it in with crayon rubbings and calling it original art, is it? 

B)

Edited by Danno, 06 December 2012 - 08:22 AM.

#28 Longbox55

Longbox55

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,666 posts
  • Full Name:Bill Burmeister

Posted 06 December 2012 - 08:46 AM

The original term was "Suped-Up", as in "Super". Not sure where the spelling got changed.

#29 gerdog

gerdog

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • Full Name:Gerry Stencell

Posted 06 December 2012 - 08:56 AM

The original term was "Suped-Up", as in "Super". Not sure where the spelling got changed.

Ah, that makes sense now.  Yeah, spellings get changed, just ask someone who researches family history.

#30 Guest_Johnny_*

Guest_Johnny_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:09 AM

Campbell's???

#31 Brett Barrow

Brett Barrow

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,267 posts
  • Full Name:Genius billionaire playboy philanthropist Brett M. Barrow, Esq.

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:10 AM

The overuse of the word "custom". 

And I've already had about 20 people ask me what's "custom"  about Revell's new 57 Ford Custom.  It was the name of the model and trim level.  Just the name.  Nobody ever asks why Chevy's Impala isn't an actual antelope, a Barracuda isn't a fish, or a Corvette isn't a small warship... 

#32 Harry P.

Harry P.

MCM Ohana

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,862 posts
  • Full Name:A mere layman...

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:20 AM

What I find annoying about that phrase is that it is ALMOST always misappropriated, ALMOST always fraudulently claimed, and then the ne'er-do-well screams like a mashed cat to defend its misuse and all the wringy-handed warm-fuzzies jump on the bandwagon to rationalize or justify its misuse in order to save the feelings of the miscreant.  Otherwise, the phrase itself doesn't annoy me at all.

Agree 100%.

Regarding the use of "scratchbuilt," it's like the old saying goes... you're entitled to your own opinion, but not your own set of facts.

#33 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,341 posts
  • Full Name:Casey Littmann

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:45 AM

Thank goodness Chuck didn't mention Vaseline (pretoleum jelly), Q-tips (cotton swabs), Band-Aids (adhesive bandages), Kleenex (facial tissues), nor Scotch tape (clear adhesive tape), too. I just goes to show how languages are fluid, things are always evolving, and sometimes brand names fall into favor as the generally accepted word for a more general item.

Since we're ranting, I'll add one:

1) 95' Camaro = 95 foot Camaro, not an abbreviated version of 1995, The correct way to type it is '95. It also works for words such as 'stang (Mustang). 'cept (except), and 'vette (Corvette)...though I think "Vette" has pretty much taken over.   :lol:

#34 Harry P.

Harry P.

MCM Ohana

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,862 posts
  • Full Name:A mere layman...

Posted 06 December 2012 - 10:07 AM

Thank goodness Chuck didn't mention Vaseline (pretoleum jelly), Q-tips (cotton swabs), Band-Aids (adhesive bandages), Kleenex (facial tissues), nor Scotch tape (clear adhesive tape), too. I just goes to show how languages are fluid, things are always evolving, and sometimes brand names fall into favor as the generally accepted word for a more general item.

"Hey, can you xerox this for me so I can tape it to the side of my frigidaire?"

:lol:

#35 Longbox55

Longbox55

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,666 posts
  • Full Name:Bill Burmeister

Posted 06 December 2012 - 10:11 AM

Here's another one; Using the terms "Stepside" and "Fleetside" when describing what type beds a truck has, regardless of brand. Technically, Stepside and Fleetside and Chevrolets. GMCs are Fenderside and Wideside, Fords are Flareside and Styleside, Dodge is Utiline and Sweptside, Jeep had the Thriftside and Townside. IH doesn't seem to have had an official name for it's beds, but refer to them as Standard or flush side in the brochures. I don't know for sure about Studebaker, either.

#36 Danno

Danno

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,172 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 10:12 AM

"Agree 100%.

Regarding the use of "scratchbuilt," it's like the old saying goes... you're entitled to your own opinion, but not your own set of facts."

AMEN, Brother Harry!!! My point exactly.

B)

#37 blunc

blunc

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts
  • Full Name:mike cassidy

Posted 06 December 2012 - 10:19 AM

"Hey, can you Canon this for me so I can plonk it to the side of my Maytag?"

Just doesn't seem to have the same meaning.  

#38 Danno

Danno

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,172 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 10:19 AM

Not a modeling term, per se, but last night I heard a television commentator say, "People just want to conversate about it."  :o

Huh?   :blink:  

Since when was  "conversation" perverted into the act of 'conversating' rather than conversing?  :wacko:

:o   

#39 blunc

blunc

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 10:23 AM

don't forget to use Scotch tape.. and tighten that door with your vicegrips and crescent wrench!

(the spelling police have note a violation in your rant, please revise "vicegrips" to "visegrips", thank you for compliance.) 

:P

#40 blunc

blunc

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 10:25 AM

Not a modeling term, per se, but last night I heard a television commentator say, "People just want to conversate about it."  :o

Huh?   :blink:  

Since when was  "conversation" perverted into the act of 'conversating' rather than conversing?  :wacko:

:o   

They had to say "conversate" since "engage in oral intercourse" could be totally misunderstood.