Model Cars Magazine Forum

'54 Chevoldsmollac custom...mystery frame, Aug.26

Ace-Garageguy

I haven't been building much recently due to some health and other issues, but I was able to get a little bench time in last night and today.

Though I AM going to do the Olds version of this, I'm also doing a Cadillac-inspired version, so I wanted to work out a method for fitting the custom hood from the '49 Ford to the Chevy front end. Here you can see fillers and extensions growing in place from styrene stock.

DSCN0575_zps3fe63a16.jpg

I decided to use the diecast rear Caddy promo bumper on this, but it needed some mods to work, including removing all the mounting tabs, etc., and notches had to be cut in the sides of the rear quarters to fit.

DSCN0551_zps662d5ed2.jpg

Extended rear quarter mocked up, with skirts that will come all the way back to pick up the bumper, and Olds-inspired bullet taillights.

DSCN0569_zps0256c28e.jpg

Longer, lower profile shot. I also added back a 1/16" strip at the bottom of the body shell, as the section job looked a little too severe.

DSCN0557_zps7467308f.jpg

And a front 3/4 shot showing the leading-edge scoops on the mocked-up skirts.

DSCN0562_zps7f4c7a0e.jpg

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Thanks for the interest and comments.

I'm trying to imagine what you will do to make the dagmars look more integrated. They look good, but "forced"?

I agree they look a little forced at this point, and there are several 1:1 cars (that got it right, including the stock '54) I've been studying to get a feel for solving this. Figuring out how to integrate the hood into the available opening was the first hurdle, and it's solved but not complete. It still needs some minor adjustment, as it slopes down in front very slightly, rather than being close to parallel with the fender tops (as seen in the profile shot).

Also keep in mind that this nose won't be used with this particular tail treatment either...this thing is an ongoing mashup of various ideas, kind of like an evolving series of sketches. Though the plan IS to use another of these rear bumpers on the Caddy-nosed version, the '53-'54 Caddy quarter-panel vertical side-vents and the characteristic Caddy rear pre-fin fender bump taillight housings will be incorporated.

A most interesting salvage of a mess.

I agree with Chuck- a Nailhead would be a perfect choice to power this thing. If you don't have one, the 88's 303 would also be quite acceptable.

I liked that pearlescent baby blue on the custom Caddy convertible. May I suggest that for the color with white pleated interior with navy accents?

Charlie Larkin

Here...

DSCN8234.jpg

...This is looking excellent! It looks good with the other Bumber & Grille set, but I think these Caddy bumbers are spot on. Very nice work so far with this, and so far it is shaping very nicely into smooth Custom. Personally I'd go without the Fender Skirts, but I have never liked them on any car, so..... :)