Pictures of your kit collections (waiting to be built)

• You cannot reply to this topic
205 replies to this topic

#41 plowboy

plowboy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,526 posts
  • Full Name:Roger Hayes

Posted 14 December 2012 - 01:09 PM

I would take photos of my stash and post them,but then my wife would have evidence of how many kits I actually do have. :lol:  Can't have that! 

#42 1320wayne

1320wayne

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,957 posts
  • Full Name:Wayne Stevens, JR.

Posted 14 December 2012 - 01:38 PM

I can't speak for others but I have multiples of the same kit (especially drag and Nascar) because there are so many folks creating decals for other cars that can be built from that same kit. Plus, when something new, or reissued, comes out, and it's desireable you've got to pick up at least one before they run their course and you miss out. If you do this enough times then you eventually find that you have enough unbuilt models to last at least three lifetimes. Because of this I have actually found that over the past couple of years I have sold off some of my stash that were at the bottom of the "to be built" list.

So with that being said, here's my stockpile.

DSC08588-vi.jpg

DSC08587-vi.jpg

DSC08586-vi.jpg

DSC08585-vi.jpg

DSC08584-vi.jpg

And all the racks shown in these pictures are all two deep so there is almost twice as much as what you can see.

#43 2000-cvpi

2000-cvpi

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 576 posts
  • Full Name:Corey Sarenius

Posted 14 December 2012 - 02:25 PM

Am I the only one that looks at these pictures and pick out the kits that I would like to buy? I love these topics, its fun to see what others have and how they choose to store their collections.

#44 dragcarz

dragcarz

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts
  • Full Name:Roger Sitzes

Posted 14 December 2012 - 03:50 PM

Why so many Kits? I've bought every kit with the intention of building it.. some of the older kits were very simplified such as the Johan 63 Dodge Polara, I purchased a Lindbergh Color me Gone 64 Dodge to use under the 63, But I also wanted to build a Color Me Gone 64 Dodge,so now I need at least two kits. Same with Polar Lights, or Revell  Funny cars, take one of these kits and any resin Funny Car body, some aftermarket decals and you can replicate any number of early funny cars.

I have also passed on kits earlier in my life only to later purchase them at collector prices, and thena couple years later, they reissue the kit and I've got a ton of money tied up in a kit, If I have any interest I try to buy it just in case, if later I decide I'm not going to build it I sell or trade it for something else.

#45 Ford guy

Ford guy

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 408 posts
  • Full Name:Roy Snyder

Posted 14 December 2012 - 05:29 PM

I have over 400 unbuilt kits in my stash. Some were bought to build, some were bought as trans kits, some were bought for parts.

I like having several of the same kit because you may see an orange Fairlane you would like to build while researching the blue Fairlane you're currently building.

Sometimes I'll look though a Hot Rod magazine, I see a picture of a car I'd like to build, but I already have one built. Well since I had two in my stash, I get to build one like the one I've just seen.

I have 4 '70 Mustangs that I've built, along with 4 '64 Fairlanes, etc. 

Just my two cents.      :rolleyes:

Roy the Ford guy

#46 gray07

gray07

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,601 posts
  • Full Name:Shelly and Darrin Holts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 06:07 PM

Why i have so many is, i love to build vans and trucks and unusual cars, so i buy them or trade for them, but my problem is people come up to me all the time wanting to sell me built models, so i buy them to help them out, but alot of times i start rebuilding the builts thats  what i been getting into. Right now i know someone waiting to sell me around 60 built up models but i already have over 200 builts in boxes. But like my wife says sooner or later i will buy the guys builts to help him out. And another reason i love models and meeting people at shows and on forums.

#47 Tom Geiger

Tom Geiger

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,279 posts
  • Full Name:Tom Geiger

Posted 15 December 2012 - 05:48 AM

I do have a mess of stuff and was running out of room to store it all. So I bought a bigger house!  :)

I have things I swear I never saw before.  I'll see a decent rebuilder for sale and buy it, only to discover I already have two. Eventually I'll build something from the best one and sell the others. 

When I get the time, I am going to build shelves in my storage room for them all and organize what I've got.  Then I'll cull out some of the stuff I don't have an interest in, duplicates etc and sell them. I'll then use that money to fill in the gaps in my collection. 

#48 kataranga

kataranga

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts
  • Full Name:Chris Martin

Posted 15 December 2012 - 06:22 AM

My space right now is rather long and narrow so its difficult to see everything...

IMG-20121211-00102.jpg

IMG-20121211-00100.jpg

IMG-20121211-00101.jpg

IMG-20121211-00102.jpg

All told I have about 420 kits or so. I usually buy multiplies of kits that have several building options. So, I have 2 68 Chargers, 2 69 Darts, 2 70 Mustangs, 2 57 Black Widows, etc. I have one each of the various versions of the 69 Nova as well. I have every intention of building every one of those kits, it just might take me a while. The open/upside down boxes in the third picture are projects currently on the go, but with most of these kits you can grab any one of them off the shelf and chances are there's something started in there; some more than others. I have what I guess you could call modeler's ADD: I start one kit and then get an idea for something else so I start that one too and on and on...

Edited by kataranga, 15 December 2012 - 06:24 AM.

#49 Ben

Ben

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,928 posts
  • Full Name:Ben Wicker

Posted 15 December 2012 - 06:53 AM

i do have a question , why do people buy that many boxes just to put on shelfs ?

dotn get me wrong i think it looks freaking cool and i would love to go through those collections and see whats in them ..

already see coolness in the pics ..

but in a way i dont really get it ..

i mean you guys are never going to build all the kits in this life time , some people have multiple kist (the same) and i understand some are rare and might become real valuable ..

atm i have 4 kits in stock myself and those are already burning on the shelf ... ooh i want to start them so bad :)

my way is more like i want to build one kit at a time and i would def. like to make a collection of boxes , just i would want to have boxes in stock i want to build and wil build in a certain time frame ..

so anybody wish to explain the idea / feeling / drive behind the hudge collections ? like is that a hobby on its own , just the collecting of kits ?

and again dont get me wrong i think its awsome to see such extensive kit collections > love it

I always love to hear the questions of why do you have to buy so many or why so many of the same kit. My theory is that, if you like it, you better get it now or your going to regret it later!!!!!!! I just pulled a Mercury Cyclone stock car kit off the shelf that I bought two of when they first came out and started working on it. I paid 19.99 for those kits when they were available, now they're going for 65.00!!!!! I have hundreds and hundreds of kits and yes, I'll never be able to build them all but it sure is nice to be able to have any kit that I do want to build, right at my finger tips!!!!!!!

#50 Scuderia

Scuderia

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,531 posts
  • Full Name:Lawrence Greene

Posted 15 December 2012 - 07:58 PM

This is my stash, sans the other un-started Nascar kits.

IMG_20121215_214049Medium-vi.jpg

#51 ChrisR

ChrisR

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts
  • Full Name:Chris Roos

Posted 16 December 2012 - 12:42 AM

Some of mine - 2 232 in total.

Modelroom001.jpg

Modelroom002.jpg

Modelroom003.jpg

Modelroom004.jpg

Modelroom005.jpg

Modelroom006.jpg

Modelroom007.jpg

Modelroom008.jpg

Edited by ChrisR, 16 December 2012 - 12:47 AM.

#52 Foxer

Foxer

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,975 posts
  • Full Name:Mike DeRagon

Posted 16 December 2012 - 02:41 AM

wow .. 2232!!  .. and some real oldies there, Chris.

I just have kits that have lured me to build for one reason or another. Not one still has the shrink wrap on. And many have a part or two pirated.

starageDSC_7593.jpg

storagepaintboothDSC_7594.jpg

#53 Dragline

Dragline

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,811 posts
  • Full Name:Bob Frias

Posted 16 December 2012 - 10:00 AM

More than some, certainly less than others.

343jfq1.jpg

I only have kits I truly wish to build.

28tvnm1.jpg

Quite the inventory some have. I wish you would all live so long and build them all.

I have more but they are elsewhere and valuable so they stay with my comic and original art collections.

Bob

Edited by Dragline, 16 December 2012 - 10:02 AM.

#54 disabled modeler

disabled modeler

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,944 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 10:10 AM

I have many old ones of my dads problem is finding parts they need to be able to build/restore them....think there is about 75 of them still to build/restore.  I might have around 30 of my own to build or re-build.

#55 martinfan5

martinfan5

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,218 posts
  • Full Name:Jonathan Stephens

Posted 16 December 2012 - 12:10 PM

Here is mine,  yes I know its so small compared to everyone else's ,  but I am builder and not a hoarder, err collector :lol: ,  this is the stash minus four that are on the bench

kt1.jpg

kt2.jpg

#56 JamesW

JamesW

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,971 posts
  • Full Name:James WastaWTF

Curb Appeal M.C.C. President

Posted 16 December 2012 - 12:24 PM

My stash is relatively small compared to most of yours. This is just the shelf in my closet. I have about 10 stacked up under my desk, and a few more in the mail on their way to me.

20121216_171912.jpg

20121216_171922.jpg

#57 Nick Winter

Nick Winter

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,926 posts
  • Full Name:Nicholas J. Winter

Posted 16 December 2012 - 12:42 PM

Pictures are from October, I added quite a few since then.

GEDC3496.jpg

GEDC3495.jpg

Nick

#58 Roadracer

Roadracer

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  • Full Name:David Jones

Posted 16 December 2012 - 01:41 PM

Some of mine - 2 232 in total.

That's a very nice collection of model kits Chris!

I definitely have a ways to catch up! LOL!

Here's a few of mine!

SDC10347.jpg

SDC10349.jpg

SDC10348.jpg

#59 Ron Hamilton

Ron Hamilton

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,493 posts
  • Full Name:Ronald Hamilton

Posted 16 December 2012 - 05:23 PM

Why did you do this topic?  I cannot turn around in my basement. Over 2000 of them.

2009_0620june09mamameeting0001.jpg

2009_0314march14090146.jpg

2009_0316mymodelsmarch090013.jpg

2009_0316mymodelsmarch090012.jpg

2009_0316mymodelsmarch090011.jpg

2009_0316mymodelsmarch090002.jpg

2009_0316mymodelsmarch090005-1.jpg

2009_0316mymodelsmarch090008.jpg

And this is the tip of the iceberg.

#60 brodie_83

brodie_83

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts
  • Full Name:Brodie Nyrud

Posted 17 December 2012 - 01:23 PM

^Man, I'm so jealous that you have a 1/8 IROC-Z Camaro...