Model Cars Magazine Forum

2013 Cannonball Run CBP

Nick Winter

Things are looking good in my garage folks. The mods to get this hemi to fit have been minor. Some adjustment to the front crossmember to allow for the front sump oil pan.

2013-05-12130040_zps2d95137a.jpg

One really nasty detail of this Revell Magnum 6.1 is these @#&%*! crappy headers. Some sheet and some half round stock will do just enough to make it look not ridiculous if viewed from below.

2013-05-12125752_zpsa609252a.jpg

2013-05-12125914_zps0a7eebc0.jpg

More soon. Things have finally eased up at work. In fact the suits have decided to cut OT entirely for a while, so I will finally get a rest from hour weeks.

Man that Datsun makes me remember the childhood had several also the one with the fenderflares IMSA style.

Also Rob those hour long weeks must really be killer

(so I will finally get a rest from hour weeks.) i want that work week LMAO just kidding i know the long hours deal so ... (just looking for a good part in the cannonball story ) And the stance looks ok to me also

MIchael

Jonathan have you given any thought to using something beefier for the front suspension? I know its just a model and we can suspend disbelief, but a fully dressed hemi is pushing 700 lbs. With two, that's a heck of a lot of weight on that old straight axle. Maybe check out what those Blastolene guys do for those monster cars they build. I think they use old truck straight axles. Pretty big.

http://www.amcarguide.com/custom/jay-lenos-tank-car-blastolene-special/

And by the way, I totally love it. I've wanted to do something similar for a long while.

Edited by Jantrix

Cannonball Veterans I have a question in the History of the SA/MCM Cannonball Run's have two Racers and there models actually met during the build?

Got a Chance to meet Paul (Maltsr) tonight and he tagged along to the local club meeting, Our Cannonballers met.

GEDC5291_zps756baa3f.jpg

GEDC5294_zps1e2aa9cf.jpg

GEDC5293_zpsf2b8ca4f.jpg

Nick

Jonathan have you given any thought to using something beefier for the front suspension? I know its just a model and we can suspend disbelief, but a fully dressed hemi is pushing 700 lbs. With two, that's a heck of a lot of weight on that old straight axle. Maybe check out what those Blastolene guys do for those monster cars they build. I think they use old truck straight axles. Pretty big.

http://www.amcarguide.com/custom/jay-lenos-tank-car-blastolene-special/

And by the way, I totally love it. I've wanted to do something similar for a long while.

That is what I was forgetting to address, I am trying to keep this as real as possible and something a bit better would be needed to support the extra weight. I got so carried away with the back end that I forgot about the front end. A problem I will soon fix. Thanks for pointing it out Rob, I'm still new to such customizing so if you or anyone else see's anything else by all means point it out. :)

Great work so far everyone!

As for me after a ton of thinking and some scratch building I think I've come up with a suitable front end to support 1,400 odd pounds of America's finest, I hope at least lol. It's fitted with 3/4 ton springs with gas shocks, upper a-arms and will be getting a stabilizer bar at the bottom. Forgot to get it in the pics.

Post11Pic1_zps376519d5.jpg

Post11Pic2_zps91884fe7.jpg

Post11Pic3_zps5f3359ad.jpg

Post11Pic4_zps825b03fb.jpg

Next thing I will work on is the rear rims, I had an idea and want to try it out. I will also probably start on the GTX now.

Edited by TFchronos

Nice work Jon.

Just a thought but you probably wouldn't need to run an alternator on both engines. Unless you've got some secret power draining navi/comms system setup planned...

I've actually started.

So far i've mocked up the axles on the Landcruiser chassis and struggled to find some suitable wheels - I want treaded road tyres of a largish diameter (or they look stupid) but of a decent sidewall height (or it'll look too much like a blinged up urban SUV which won't mesh with the planned "unstoppable" paintjob).

I've also sawn the gearboxes off the backs of the stock straight six turbo diesel and the Celsior V8 and swapped them over.

I had to do this as I need to retain the 'cruiser box for its integral transfer case (I now have a spare diesel - pass me that Corvette)

I've also had to remove the Celsior sump as it has lumps in exactly the wrong places which will foul the front axle. I'll scratch something up when I get the engine mounts and ride height sorted.

Pics soon.

Nice work Jon.

Just a thought but you probably wouldn't need to run an alternator on both engines. Unless you've got some secret power draining navi/comms system setup planned...

Well, you're on to me so I might as well just tell everyone my plans. Being a mad scientist I found way to convert the power generated from an alternator and use it to power a focused emp gun to knock out the electrical systems of the racers ahead of me. :D

Nah I just haven't decided which engine I want the alternator on yet, I'll take care of it soon.