#61 W-409

W-409

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,523 posts
  • Full Name:Niko Lindström

Posted 01 January 2013 - 05:13 AM

Since we are heading to the evening of January 1st, here's my progress with the MPC '86 Camino:

I scratchbuilt a throttle linkage. Carburetor is from parts box, and for the linkage I used sheet aluminium and some metal wire. Also started the bodywork, and holy cow there's a lot of it! There's flash everywhere. Once I got it cleaned up a bit, I decided to glue that Monte Carlo nose on. It didn't fit nicely either, see the last pic and there's the gap what needs to be filled. A lot of sanding still to do before first coat of primer or filler spray.

If you look at this picture closely, you can see that the Water Pump is floating. :rolleyes:  I must do something for it.

DSCN01861.jpg

DSCN01821.jpg

DSCN01831.jpg

DSCN01841.jpg

#62 Jantrix

Jantrix

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,306 posts
  • Full Name:Rob Mattis

Posted 01 January 2013 - 05:18 AM

Well gang I was lucky enough to find a fastback right here at home to replace the GTO roof. '73 Mustang to be exact. Looking forward to doing some cutting.

#63 dodgefever

dodgefever

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 07:33 AM

I'm going to start on mine later.

#64 Shardik

Shardik

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 764 posts
  • Full Name:Johann H. Buerfeind V

Posted 01 January 2013 - 09:44 AM

Doggone it! I just got started and the darned doors fell off :rolleyes:

#65 Craig Irwin

Craig Irwin

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,793 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 05:17 PM

Well my search for my camera turned into a major cleaning effort, so I have nothing to report. The kit is still mint unstarted! LOL!

The kids are at thier fathers untill Saturday so I'll stil get a good start.

#66 Nick Winter

Nick Winter

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,926 posts
  • Full Name:Nicholas J. Winter

Posted 01 January 2013 - 05:42 PM

Got a front bumper and front pan on order from modelhaus, I actually like the custom rear bumper and lights better than the stock ones, car came up Super good after a swim in the purple pond, also dug out some parts to replace missing pieces, a Builtup Torino Interior and Chassis I had donated a front suspension and a steering column and wheel.

GEDC4131.jpg

GEDC4132.jpg

GEDC4133.jpg

GEDC4134.jpg

GEDC4135.jpg

GEDC4136.jpg

Nick

#67 Shardik

Shardik

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:24 AM

Not much to report.  As previously stated, the doors are off and now the trunk has followed suit.  And as you can see, I've decided to french the license plate.  I also filled in the mounting points for the tail lights, as these will be frenched into the fenders.

Cheron_8_zpsba0ee0fc.jpg

I dealt with one of the kit issues which is a particular pet peeve of mine;  molded in windshield wipers.   Still some work to do here :unsure: .

Cheron_9_zps4719c8fe.jpg

Next up will be the chassis.  Since it was going to have to be modified anyway, I've decided to attempt to build one from scratch.  Wish me luck; this will be a first for me.

Edited by Shardik, 02 January 2013 - 09:28 AM.

#68 Jantrix

Jantrix

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,306 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:56 AM

Johann, did you see my suggestion regarding a chassis for you on page 3?

#69 Shardik

Shardik

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:15 AM

Rob,

Yes, and thank you.  However, I now have a pretty clear vision of where I want to go with this one: an '80's style street racer with tubbed four link rear end and IFS up front.  Mainly for the challenge of doing something new.

Keep the suggestions coming though; I admire your skill and value your input.

By the way, are you planning on using the '37 chassis and interior on yours?  If so, I'd be interested to see how it works out for you.

#70 Jantrix

Jantrix

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,306 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 12:59 PM

No I'm not. I may have if I'd thought of it earlier, but I'm building mine as a gasser. So the bare interior and the kit chassis are perfect. Incidentally the '37 chassis comes with IFS and a Vette rear end. So it might be good for parts if nothing else.

Now regarding my GTO. Man the wheels are turning. I have a plan, an artist rendering and the guts to cut. As soon as I receive permission from said artist I will post up the inspiration for my build. It will involve being chopped, sectioned and narrowed. If Ed Roth and George Barris had gotten drunk together, this might have been the result. Pics soon!

#71 rmvw guy

rmvw guy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,524 posts
  • Full Name:Ron Martz

Posted 02 January 2013 - 04:52 PM

Look out Bad Man!!DSC04241_zps359c53ce.jpg

#72 plowboy

plowboy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,543 posts
  • Full Name:Roger Hayes

Posted 02 January 2013 - 06:25 PM

I may join in on this one later. The '72 Torino is just going to be a curbside build. Too much work for me to come up with a detailed and correct chassis for it. I still may attempt it someday. But, I'm just not up for a build like that right now.

#73 Jantrix

Jantrix

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,306 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:34 AM

Derick, I have added you to the list with the rest of us masochists. 

Okay now that I have permission from the artist I present you with the inspiration and the design for my GTO. Gary Campesi's "Split Personality".

gto-split-personality_zps51ff344f.jpg

I will be building the '67 based on this artwork. It will not be a replica or 3D version, but it will certainly be close. I'd like to thank Gary for permission to post his work and his blessing on my build. If you would like to see more from this excellent artist please peruse the following website.

http://www.hubgarage.../GaryC/vehicles

#74 W-409

W-409

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,523 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 05:49 AM

Bodywork time. I filled the gap between the Choo Choo Customs Monte Carlo-style nose and rest of the body with styrene and putty. Also I decided to remove the holes what are next to the windshield wipers. They are meant for the tabs what are located underside the hood. I removed them from the hood, so I filled the holes with styrene. After some putty, I decided to primer the body.......

DSCN0213.jpg

DSCN0214.jpg

DSCN0216.jpg

DSCN0223.jpg

DSCN0225.jpg

...After primer, it looks like there's some sanding still needed, but not too much. Since the nose is not molded to body in real car, I mean that there are seams between it and the body, I will just sand a little those puttys, and then I will shoot another coat of primer and paint.

#75 W-409

W-409

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,523 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 05:54 AM

And then I moved on to the engine. Here you can see two Nightmare parts, the kit offers.

1. Fan Belt.

It's way too thick, and the alternator belt pulley looks really small. I cut those two pulleys seperate, I will find one for the alternator and make the belt myself.

DSCN0196.jpg

2. Alternator.

Well, what can I say?! Look At It!!! Looks like carburetor to me. :lol:  Needless to say, I'm not gonna use it.

DSCN0198.jpg

And then I modified the Water Pump to fit well with that engine, it's not floating model anymore. :D

DSCN0221.jpg

DSCN0229.jpg

#76 dodgefever

dodgefever

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 06:25 AM

I had build the Hot Rod version about 1987 or so and remembered how horrid that kit was.. upon getting this one for my birthday ( first time I had seen this style of box art. I cringed.. then I opened it in some hopes that the new box art = better model... wrong as with a lot of over ran model kits they get worse with time!! heck there is a 3/16 inch 1:1 measure not scale gap between the front fenders and the cab.. and thats just the easy to see hehe..

Sounds like the Hot Rod kit you're thinking of was the Revell '56.  The '53 flip-nose is an old MPC tool, IIRC, but equally terrible.

I've just got hold of a new Revell '57 Ford to help with my Ranchero.  The plan is to take a mould off the top half of the body and cast a resin piece to restore the top.  :unsure:

#77 Shardik

Shardik

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:20 AM

Derick, I have added you to the list with the rest of us masochists. 

Okay now that I have permission from the artist I present you with the inspiration and the design for my GTO. Gary Campesi's "Split Personality".

gto-split-personality_zps51ff344f.jpg

I will be building the '67 based on this artwork. It will not be a replica or 3D version, but it will certainly be close. I'd like to thank Gary for permission to post his work and his blessing on my build. If you would like to see more from this excellent artist please peruse the following website.

http://www.hubgarage.../GaryC/vehicles

Holy cow, Rob, You're not just going for the silk purse but the whole Gucci ensemble! :o   I can't wait to see your interpretation of this!

#78 Jantrix

Jantrix

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,306 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:35 AM

I have never tried something like this. But guys like Ira and John T. have got me so jazzed to try my hand at some serious body work. The worst that can happen is one bad kit is trash. I'm spending no money on this, everything from the parts bins.

Accumulated parts so far.
Chassis and suspension - 40 Ford pick up.
Engine- Chevy big block.
Wheels/tires - Chevy SSR
Interior- No idea
Windshield - working on it.

#79 Jantrix

Jantrix

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,306 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 03:00 AM

I did some math this morning. First I scaled the side image of Gary's rendering down until the size of my 1/24 rear tire (and I picked a tall one) matched the image. Then I got out my ruler.

I will have to change the wheelbase from 115" to 109" - very do-able. :)

Change the cars overall length from 206" to approximately 148".  Almost five feet shorter. <_<

The height of the car to a scant 27" from the top of the highest point of the rear fender to the rockers. The height of the body where the engine is, is only 22" ! :angry:

It is obvious that building the drawing perfectly to scale would be nearly impossible and still have room for a V8. So I'm going to have to take a much more liberal approach to building this machine. And I'm not even going to try to scale the narrowing of the body. I foresee my biggest challenge is going to be narrowing the grill area to the width of a '41 Chevy grill and still include the headlights and make it recognizable as a GTO. :o

The cutting begins this weekend.

#80 Shardik

Shardik

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 06:41 AM

Rob,

I run into this allot at work (I'm a machinist):  just because you can draw it, doesn't mean you can build it ;) .