'57 Ford Custom (Finished, see it in Under Glass forum 3-7-13)

• You cannot reply to this topic
96 replies to this topic

#21 Lovefordgalaxie

Lovefordgalaxie

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,052 posts
  • Full Name:Túlio Lazzaroni

Posted 30 December 2012 - 07:11 AM

It's your model Ron, do what you want with it man, after all, we build those things to have fun!!

The wheel painted in white will look good with blackwall tires, yes they will.

if you want to detail it to look more factory, the interior gray is a medium gray tone.

The floor pan was painted at the line before painting the body itself on cars that would go to places where some more rust protection were needed. 

A curious fact is that if they had just painted a Colonial Blue car, for example, and the next car on the line needed to be painted a different color, they would empty the paint guns at the floor pans, so you could have a Raven Black car with a Colonial Blue floor. Usually, cars that would be sold in states like Arizona, or California would have just the red oxide primer on the floor pans, with some body color overspray, and black undercoating on wheel weels, and rockers.

#22 rmvw guy

rmvw guy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,351 posts
  • Full Name:Ron Martz

Posted 30 December 2012 - 07:28 AM

That's some interesting history Tu'lio,  thanks for all your tips and I am having fun. :)

#23 rmvw guy

rmvw guy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,351 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 03:05 PM

Okay, I haven't posted in a while, found this buried on page 8. :) DSC04265.jpg

#24 rmvw guy

rmvw guy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,351 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 03:18 PM

Where did the rest of my post go after Smiley?  Okay I will try again. This is going as bad as my attempt with BMF. he he he ( no Smiley this time)  I went to plan B, the Prismacolor pen for trim after wasting an entire morning with BMF.  Bought a second "57 today at Hobby Lobby for $16 and some change and 40% coupon. It will be a race car of some kind.  Got the dust speck on hood polished out. Need to get back to work on this one. Thanks for looking. Here's a Smiley for you.   alfredeneuman.jpg

#25 Del Austin

Del Austin

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • Full Name:Del Austin II

Posted 30 January 2013 - 03:48 PM

Looks great so far. Have to pick up one of these kits.

#26 Dogfish_7

Dogfish_7

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  • Full Name:Bruce Osborne

Posted 01 February 2013 - 03:43 AM

Paint job looks great!

#27 geemoney

geemoney

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • Full Name:mike nequette

Posted 01 February 2013 - 03:57 AM

Okay, I haven't posted in a while, found this buried on page 8. :) DSC04265.jpg

you did the trim with that pen? beautiful! that looks really good!

#28 rmvw guy

rmvw guy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,351 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 04:44 AM

you did the trim with that pen? beautiful! that looks really good!

Yes I did, picked it up at Hobby Lobby in the art supply section, It goes on easy and cleans off easy also with either Gojo hand cleaner or auto polish. When I get it just right I put clear over it to seal it. I'm not good with Bare Metal Foil so far. Thanks for the compliment. Here's a look at the Hudson I did with the pen.DSC03559_zps3b8781ae.jpg

#29 crazyrichard

crazyrichard

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,648 posts
  • Full Name:richard gelens

Posted 01 February 2013 - 04:56 AM

great idea , the only downside is that it seems to go gray when clear coated , i have silver paint i use that for all my chrome , cant clear that either then it turns grey ...without clear its more chrome like

but def looks very very good with that pen

#30 rmvw guy

rmvw guy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,351 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 06:06 AM

great idea , the only downside is that it seems to go gray when clear coated , i have silver paint i use that for all my chrome , cant clear that either then it turns grey ...without clear its more chrome like

but def looks very very good with that pen

At least it doesn't peel off or wrinkle.  :lol:  I agree, it is a little too gray. Without clear it rubs off too easy. Thanks for the compliment anyway. 

#31 rmvw guy

rmvw guy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,351 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 04:03 PM

Progress pictures, not really much going on.  I did decide to go ahead and paint the valve covers black so they would look right.  Also got the seats painted and decal-ed.  A lot of the other small parts got painted.  My 18 month old Grandson came over to spend the day and night so, plans for the weekend changed on this project. Hope to have it  "Under Glass" soon. Thanks for looking.DSC04279_zpsfe44d6c4.jpgDSC04277_zps916adb77.jpg

#32 JFortner5

JFortner5

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Full Name:Joey Fortner

Posted 02 February 2013 - 04:40 PM

That looks really nice, I'm looking forward to more pics.

#33 rmvw guy

rmvw guy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,351 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:35 PM

That looks really nice, I'm looking forward to more pics.

Thanks Joey, here you go.  This kit has been a real pleasure so far.  The biggest challenge has been the two tone paint and backing up to paint the valve covers black after they were already glued to the engine and painted ford red. At least until now.... assembled the chassis and wheels like clock work.  Then I discovered one wheel in the air, oh no, here we go.  :unsure: Anyway thanks for looking and here are the pictures. DSC04293_zps13d0e09f.jpgDSC04294_zpsb4050db1.jpgDSC04295_zps83fb82a4.jpgDSC04296_zpsb9f64de9.jpg

#34 rmvw guy

rmvw guy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,351 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:49 PM

I keep losing half of my post!!!  If I can remember what I just said.  The left rear wheel is obliviously lower then the right.  So the only thing I can figure is I got the glue thicker on one side where the rear end mounts to the springs. The springs went in the pin holes perfect.  Oh well, anyway I had to walk away for a while.  Now I feel like I need some white gloves to keep from winding up with another weathered rust project. Here's another picture of the dash with decals applied.  This has a really nice decal sheet. Thanks again for looking.DSC04297_zps80f87d3b.jpg

Edited by rmvw guy, 04 February 2013 - 12:51 PM.

#35 rmvw guy

rmvw guy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,351 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 04:52 PM

Alright! Problem solved, If you build this you might want to compare your rear springs side by side.  I found  that the one spring was not grooved out as much where the rear end meets it. After grooving the problem one out with the hobby knife, I used a small metric rule to measure both sides until they were exactly the same. Then glued all the parts together and clamped them with alligator clips, measuring again.  Perfect!!!!  Now I can go forward, what a  relief.  :) DSC04298_zpsa67144d0.jpgDSC04299_zps2db0de87.jpg

#36 rmvw guy

rmvw guy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,351 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 02:47 AM

I couldn't wait to make some comparisons.  :)  DSC04300_zpsc48d3756.jpgDSC04299_zps2db0de87.jpgDSC04301_zpsb2ad44f5.jpgDSC04302_zps0dd53e90.jpg

#37 rmvw guy

rmvw guy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,351 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 04:20 AM

I am going to try Bare Metal Foil one more time after making these observations. The '57 Chevy has it just on the horizontal pieces.  I have some on order from LHS should be here by the end of the week.  The nice thing is, it should go right over the silver paint. If it gets scratched there is silver under it.  After reading about the woos others have had with this stuff on another thread, I feel like I'm up for one more challenge.  I just hope it doesn't have any wrinkles, you can't tell any more when you buy it the way they package it in a white envelope.  Wish me luck, I will post pictures one way or the other, good or bad.

#38 rmvw guy

rmvw guy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,351 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 08:58 AM

I don't have a lot of knowledge about this engine but, after struggling with the distributor for a while, the kit directions aren't very clear on this, I found an image of a real engine.  The distributor actually fits in at an angle not straight up and down.  Just thought I would share this with anyone interested. Don't ask me about the firing order.  :lol:  DSC04305_zps208799fa.jpg57_Ford-Fairlane-500SC_DV-11-RMSJ-e05_zpDSC04304_zps360810cc.jpg

#39 rmvw guy

rmvw guy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,351 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:12 AM

IT is hard to get a good close up with my camera, this one might be better.  I think the distributor may even need a little more angle, not sure.DSC04307_zps2b3c2dc2.jpg

#40 rmvw guy

rmvw guy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,351 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:50 AM

Here's another shot with installed in the frame. I decided to use the small air cleaner to show off engine wires more. DSC04313_zps2d0b600c.jpg

Edited by rmvw guy, 07 February 2013 - 07:52 AM.