#221 Custom Hearse

Custom Hearse

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,998 posts
  • Full Name:Marshall Glasgow

Posted 08 March 2013 - 03:18 AM

Marshall, it'll have the full-size Superbird wing on it, which I don't agree with myself. The Duster trunk in angled downward, and the Road Runner the Superbirds were based on had a flat trunk, so it leans backwards, and sticks way up over the roof. But it's what Sam wants, so I did it his way. I'm doing a second one for another buddy over on Scale Avenue, with the stipulation that I could do it the way I wanted, which includes getting the wing to look right on the Duster body. I'll post a WIP on it when I get started so you can see how the body work is done, hopefully I can get to it sometime this spring or early summer, we'll see!

I know what you mean... It wasn't fun trying to get the wing mounted on my '71 Superbird project...

972678-R1-23-1A.jpg

Looks a little off, but it worked finally.

Edited by Custom Hearse, 08 March 2013 - 03:18 AM.

#222 plowboy

plowboy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,715 posts
  • Full Name:Roger Hayes

Posted 08 March 2013 - 02:24 PM

so i was thinking on maybe using one of the motors from the pro mod kits,the one with the pontiac valve covers,  removing the lenco and doing a more streetable trans? go for more of the outlaw type car with full tube chassis, big motor, parachutes and wings but still maintain streetability?

i know most of you will say "build it the way you want!" well as i stated, building it the way i want never happens. the monster in me takes over and it takes on a form only the mad man in the model room knows where it will go. i need a good solid direction and stay on that path.......

signed,

"where is the point of no return"

If you're seriously thinking about that plan, I would use the entire chassis and running gear from the Revell '55 Pro Sportsman. I would even keep the Lenco transmission. Maybe modify the kit intake by making it shorter and just put a single Dominator carburetor on it?

I haven't made a lot of progress on my Duster. I've decided to scrap the induction setup I currently have on the engine in favor of a stock single four barrel intake from a JoHan kit. A member from another board is sending me one. I looked at the intake that comes with the '70 Super Bee. But that intake has eight runners per side! :rolleyes:  Either way, it doesn't look right. So, I'm not using it. If it comes down to it, I'll just scratchbuild a single four intake.

#223 Custom Mike

Custom Mike

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,469 posts
  • Full Name:Mike

Posted 08 March 2013 - 04:50 PM

you know what, just a question, why did you use the DODGE daytona front instead of the PLYMOUTH superbird nose.... just curious.

It's what Sam sent me to use, simple answer, right?

Marshall, when I did my '71 Daytona, I chopped the wing down, but mounted it to the trunk, Not entirely realistic, but it's not gonna be hitting 200 mph any time soon, so I didn't sweat it. I just wanted it to have the right angle, and to look more like it was supposed to be on the car and not just ripped off a Daytona and slapped on the trunk of a '71 Charger.

71Daytona_19-vi.jpg

71Daytona_16-vi.jpg

#224 Custom Hearse

Custom Hearse

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,998 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 06:06 PM

Nice Mike! I've wanted to do a '71 Charger Daytona. Yours looks good.

#225 1320wayne

1320wayne

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,969 posts
  • Full Name:Wayne Stevens, JR.

Posted 10 March 2013 - 03:12 AM

Hey guys, lot's of great progress going on here. Sorry that I haven't been able to contribute as much to this thread lately but my new job (OTR truck driver) is keeping me very busy and out of town for lengths of time that for the time being is preventing me from finding any model building time. I am trying to check in as much as possible but it's not easy.

If anyone new wants to participate then they just simply need to read the listing at the beginning of the thread to see if their project meets the criteria for the CBP. The more the merrier.

Keep up all the great progress.

#226 tubbs

tubbs

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,688 posts
  • Full Name:Al Matheny

Posted 12 March 2013 - 03:38 AM

i know, no pictures = it didn't happen, but i will fill you guys in anyways. sat down over the last week or so and started gathering up parts for my 62 pontiac. ripped apart what was there and i think i have definitely, pretty much almost decided on a full tube chassis street car. i think i might go with a pro stock aluminum block and heads with a single plane, single carb intake (or a block out of the 67 pontiac goat), cut the lenco off and add a street trans (probably automatic). looks like the rear out of the 67 AMT chevelle, want to leave the front bench. the rear may have to come out or be reshaped. full cage, ugly old man color with an outlaw hood. as low as i can get it, big 'ol sprint car rears, a wing, wheelie bars and 2 parachutes to top off this big ol led sled. oh yea, and wipers and a full exhaust to stay within the rules.

well, that is the plan, now if i can keep all the other projects off the bench and keep my mind on these plans, we should have a winner. i will try to get picts up tonight. having house vs water problems right now so that will have to come first.

#227 Custom Mike

Custom Mike

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,469 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 05:21 PM

This one's not dead yet guys, I just haven't had time to work on it lately. I did find that the back seat/package shelf is up too high, so I've got to find a way to get it back down, and possibly add a bit to the back edge, but I won't be sure of that until I get it at the correct level. Hopefully I'll have some updates on it this weekend, wish me luck!

SuperDuster198-vi.jpg

#228 plowboy

plowboy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,715 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 02:53 AM

Mike, I think I would cut the package shelf loose from the seat. Then, add the length to the front where you cut it. That way, you wouldn't lose the shape at the rear of it and it will still fit up against the window nicely. When you glue it back to the seat, you could lower or angle it down.

After my Duster project, I doubt if I will ever attempt another one! I would have never thought that a simple backhalf and engine/frame clip swap would have caused so many problems! I've battled fitment issues at every turn! I did have my interior done. But, when I went to put the body on, it wouldn't fit! So, I had to get the dash loose because it had somehow spread apart before the glue set and made the interior too wide up front. I'm just going to leave the dash loose. There's no way it can go anywhere once it's assembled. The quarter windows now have me concerned. I'm going to check everything out before I polish the paint. The more I mess with it, the less details I plan to add.

#229 tubbs

tubbs

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 05:02 AM

Mike, I think I would cut the package shelf loose from the seat. Then, add the length to the front where you cut it. That way, you wouldn't lose the shape at the rear of it and it will still fit up against the window nicely. When you glue it back to the seat, you could lower or angle it down.

After my Duster project, I doubt if I will ever attempt another one! I would have never thought that a simple backhalf and engine/frame clip swap would have caused so many problems! I've battled fitment issues at every turn! I did have my interior done. But, when I went to put the body on, it wouldn't fit! So, I had to get the dash loose because it had somehow spread apart before the glue set and made the interior too wide up front. I'm just going to leave the dash loose. There's no way it can go anywhere once it's assembled. The quarter windows now have me concerned. I'm going to check everything out before I polish the paint. The more I mess with it, the less details I plan to add.

hehe, don't  do that. you should have been warned that, at least for me, on a pro street car, i work from the ground up. get that chassis nailed down with the tubs in place.  always make your tubs a hair bigger than the diametere of the tire so you have clearances for the interior panels. i have re-made the tubs on the super bee chassis a few times. i do it to get the bodu low as i can. i have a 69 dart i was scratching a chassis on, here is one chain of events...

- made the frame

- made the tubs

- tubs too tall, body sits to high

- remade tubs body sits perfect

- now engine hits the ground

- raise engine

- engine too high, hits hood

- lower engine back to origional spot

- make new pan

- cage hits tubs

- rework cage

it can be a pain, i know..... oops, then the build you just did all that work to falls to the concrete cause you put it on a stack of who knows what, things bust, parts fly and it ends up in the box like a misfit toys on an island. i will get back on it sooner or later, here is a few shots of when it was last on the bench. once i get back on it, i may post it up here, we will see.

Attached Files

#230 Custom Mike

Custom Mike

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,469 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 05:09 PM

Al, i should know all about all the issues that pop up when you shove a pro-street chassis under something it wasn't designed for, I used the same chassis on a '99 Eclipse, it was one problem after anther on that one, but I finally beat it! OK, we have solved the problem with the rear package shelf, and it took all day to get it right! I started out by using my panel scriber to cut a groove at the point where the rear seat and package shelf meet. I got the package shelf to about half it's normal thickness, then ran some Tamiya cement to the groove, softening the plastic enough to bend it downward....

SuperDuster200-vi.jpg

I still had a big gap to the window, so I cut a pair of .030 strips, and glued them to the back of the package shelf....

SuperDuster201-vi.jpg

SuperDuster202-vi.jpg

Still not enough, I've test-fit it about 20 times at this point, I've gotten really good at getting the chassis into the body by now!
SuperDuster203-vi.jpg

#231 Custom Mike

Custom Mike

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,469 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 05:13 PM

We have our 3rd .030 strip added, let's see how it looks now....

SuperDuster204-vi.jpg

Much better, I can work with this!

SuperDuster205-vi.jpg

A bit of sanding to get the strips to match the package shelf...

SuperDuster206-vi.jpg

And a quick coat of Flat Black, not bad, but I've gotta do something about that nasty seam!

SuperDuster207-vi.jpg

SuperDuster208-vi.jpg

#232 Custom Mike

Custom Mike

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,469 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 05:17 PM

And here's the fix for the seam, more embossing powder! I masked off the speakers and the rest of the chassis, and laid down a nice coat of embossing powder, the seam is now gone, another problem solved, all I have left now is the foil on the sides and door handles, side windows, gluing the front wheels on, adding the P.E locks, back bumper, and the valve cover bolts and she'll be finished!

SuperDuster209-vi.jpg

SuperDuster210-vi.jpg

SuperDuster211-vi.jpg

SuperDuster212-vi.jpg

#233 Custom Hearse

Custom Hearse

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,998 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 09:20 AM

Dang Mike! That looks good!!! I'm definitely looking forward to seeing it finished!

#234 tubbs

tubbs

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 02:40 AM

seems like you are moving right along. cant view the picts here at work. will have to wait till i get home. found a great site for chassis references, plan on using thier ideas this weekend on my 62 poncho.

#235 hardhitter

hardhitter

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • Full Name:jamie johnson

Posted 23 March 2013 - 08:26 PM

looking good guys wish i had some big treds.. i got a grand national`kit just sitting think it work make a good pro street ride. keep up the great work love watchin some day will have to step up.  but told my self not buying a new kit just for meats.lol

#236 plowboy

plowboy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,715 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 08:33 AM

Well, it's obvious that my Duster just doesn't want to be built. :angry:  So, I'm going to oblige it and take the wheels,tires and cut the tubs off the chassis and put them under something else. The rest of it will go back in the box. It's fought me the whole way and I'm just tired of it. It's time to move on to something else.

#237 tubbs

tubbs

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 04:27 AM

Well, it's obvious that my Duster just doesn't want to be built. :angry:  So, I'm going to oblige it and take the wheels,tires and cut the tubs off the chassis and put them under something else. The rest of it will go back in the box. It's fought me the whole way and I'm just tired of it. It's time to move on to something else.

that's too bad, and i have a duster or 2 slated down the road. did you take the pictures down too? hmmm, absolutly no trace. well, good luck on whatever you pick next. keep us posted.

#238 tubbs

tubbs

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 04:47 AM

looking good guys wish i had some big treds.. i got a grand national`kit just sitting think it work make a good pro street ride. keep up the great work love watchin some day will have to step up.  but told my self not buying a new kit just for meats.lol

yea, the days of buying kits "for parts" are pretty much over for me too. if you post up in the wanted section for some big ol steam rollers, i am sure you will get some hits. it would be nice if you could join in with the rest of us....

#239 hardhitter

hardhitter

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • Full Name:jamie johnson

Posted 25 March 2013 - 07:17 AM

AL-thanks bud i was thinking the same thing loli have yet to use wanted or traden post yet will have to give it a try thanks

#240 1320wayne

1320wayne

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,969 posts
  • Full Name:Wayne Stevens, JR.

Posted 31 March 2013 - 11:45 AM

Here is a small bit of progress that I was able to accomplish. The hood scoop work is complete and just needs some minor smoothing and I added pieces to the bottom of the body sides to give it a more agressive look. I still have some minor body work to finish up before final priming and readying it for paint.

DSCN0785-vi.jpg

DSCN0786-vi.jpg

DSCN0787-vi.jpg