Model Cars Magazine Forum

Pro Street Community Build Project

1320wayne

I did a bit of interior work tonight, I sprayed the interior parts last night with some Dupli-Color Vinyl & Fabric Paints (Medium Gray), let 'em dry overnight, masked 'em all up, and shot some Dupli-Color Black Primer on for a second color. A quick ride in the dehydrator, and they're ready for some detailing!

Freshly painted with the Black Primer, ready for some foil work!
SuperDuster113-vi.jpg

A close-up of the dash, this is the best masking I've ever done!
SuperDuster114-vi.jpg

First two pieces of foil in place, time for the Q-Tip!
SuperDuster115-vi.jpg

First two pieces have been trimmed, and the long strip is in place and ready to meet Mr. Q-Tip!
SuperDuster116-vi.jpg

The long strip of foil has been trimmed up, we're looking good so far!
SuperDuster117-vi.jpg

Now the real fun begins, foiling the window crank and door handle...
SuperDuster118-vi.jpg

Trimmed up nicely, I'm getting good at interior panels!
SuperDuster119-vi.jpg

The last step, adding some Semi-Gloss Black to the Duster badge at the top of the door, and adding my door lock knob. This time I used some 24 Gauge wire instead of 30 Gauge. I flattened the wire with some pliers, and it looks great, no painting needed!
SuperDuster120-vi.jpg

Thanks for that tip Roger, I honestly hadn't even thought about it yet...time to do some test-fitting!

Yay! 1,000 Posts, I'm 4 digits now! :D

yea, pro streeters take alot of test fitting and thinking thru.....

glad to see people making progress. hopefully i will get in the model room soon. the wife just informed me i will be painting 2 bathrooms, both kids rooms and the upstairs hall .....

yea, pro streeters take alot of test fitting and thinking thru.....

glad to see people making progress. hopefully i will get in the model room soon. the wife just informed me i will be painting 2 bathrooms, both kids rooms and the upstairs hall .....

You should paint the bedrooms "Hugger Orange" and the hallway "Ford" blue. Are you going to pinstripe any of them??

You should paint the bedrooms "Hugger Orange" and the hallway "Ford" blue. Are you going to pinstripe any of them??

haha.... although... that would be cool. get some old tin signs and some neon lights, pinstriping instead of border....... oh... whats that dear........ ok, dear........ crystal corral blue will be just fine........

RATS!!

The Chevelle and the Falcon are kind of stalled. Could the third time be the charm?

PRO002_zpsc0026b31-vi.jpg

Yeah, I know me building a Hudson Hornet seems kind of weird, but still.

So far I have added the tubs and rear frame/suspension from a Revell '67 Chevelle. The front tires and inner wheels are also from that kit, but I used the wheels from a Monogram '37 Ford street rod. I kept the stock suspension up front and modified the spindles to lower the nose a bit.

The Chevelle and the Falcon are kind of stalled. Could the third time be the charm?

Yeah, I know me building a Hudson Hornet seems kind of weird, but still.

So far I have added the tubs and rear frame/suspension from a Revell '67 Chevelle. The front tires and inner wheels are also from that kit, but I used the wheels from a Monogram '37 Ford street rod. I kept the stock suspension up front and modified the spindles to lower the nose a bit.

do to our firewall here, i cant see the picture, but it sounds like a really cool project. its the first pro streeted hudson i have seen. i am in a rut on mine too, doing too many other things besides building, but the wife will be happy.

PRO002_zps25a8be1e.jpg

Better? :unsure:

i dont know what you did, but that worked and that really cool !! reminds me of something Troy (however you spell his last name) would build.

http://www.radrides.com/index.php?option=com_macgallery&view=album&Itemid=448

i hope to get something done on mine tonight. how about everyone else? any progress....

Edited by tubbs

Chuck is building a Hudson? Nah, that must be a typo, he hates those things! :lol:

Looks like a good start, what are you gonna put under the hood? Make it a Hudson 6 with a huge honkin' blower on it!

Al, I've gotten a bit done on mine, hopefully I'll have some bench time tonight and get some more, we'll see how the head full of snot holds up!

I finally got the interior panels modified to fit the new chassis (thanks again for reminding me Roger!), and here's how I did it. I put my interior panels in place on the chassis, and marked where the new rear wheel wells land with a pencil. I carefully followed the pencil line with a #11 blade, then followed that line with my Trumpeter panel scriber. Once it was thin enough, I snapped the excess off, trimmed up the cut area, and tested my fit, and they both fit fine!
Stock door panel on the left, modified on the right...
SuperDuster121-vi.jpg
Cut line marked with a pencil and ready for removal...
SuperDuster122-vi.jpg
Lightly scribed with a #11 blade...
SuperDuster123-vi.jpg
And deepened using the panel scriber, ready for the excess to be snapped off!
SuperDuster124-vi.jpg
Next up is the back seat. To mark this, I used my modified door panels as a template. Once again, the line was marked with a pencil, but the cutting was done with the #11 blade only this time. Once the cuts were made, I discovered I was going to have to remove some plastic from the back side of the seat and the wheel wells to get it to fit properly. I didn't get any pics of that process, but I'll snap some later if I get to the bench.
Stock side of the back seat...
SuperDuster125-vi.jpg
And how much has to be removed to get it to fit in the new Pro-Street chassis. Amazingly, it looks good once the door panels are in place. I need to mock it up with a spare Duster body just to check clearances, but so far it looks fine!
SuperDuster126-vi.jpg

OK, I've got some more updating to do, I got the interior mocked up to check the back seat's alignment (Along with the door panels) and the modified chassis. It fits great, here's some pics to prove it!

Here's the minor mods needed to the wheel wells and back seat to get it to fit properly, just a bit of plastic removed from both...
SuperDuster131-vi.jpg

And the interior mocked up with a spare Duster body. The gap between the package shelf on the back seat and rear window opening is fine, the rear glass is pretty thick!
SuperDuster127-vi.jpg

SuperDuster128-vi.jpg

SuperDuster129-vi.jpg

SuperDuster130-vi.jpg

Next up, a bit of masking was done to the body so I could paint the headliner and under-hood areas Black, some Black embossing powder was added to the floor pan, and the interior assembly was started. I stopped here for the night, I'm sick as a dog, and I need some drugs and sleep!

SuperDuster132-vi.jpg

SuperDuster133-vi.jpg

SuperDuster134-vi.jpg

SuperDuster135-vi.jpg

SuperDuster136-vi.jpg

Edited by Custom Mike

Dang Marshall, I hope you plan on a monster motor for that beast, that baby is looooong!

OK, the interior is now done, but it's in the spare body to keep it all squared up while the glue dries. I got a bit more done, starting with making a new driveshaft. I chopped the universal joints off the kit part, added a piece of aluminum tubing, and we have a driveshaft that fits!
SuperDuster137-vi.jpg
SuperDuster138-vi.jpg
SuperDuster139-vi.jpg
Next up was a minor fix to the back wheels, the inner wheel backer was not as big as the rim, so the tires were looking slanted toward the axle. A strip of styrene around each one makes the tires look like they should!
SuperDuster140-vi.jpg
Once it's painted, you can barely tell it's there!
SuperDuster141-vi.jpg

This part tells me why Sam didn't want to build it, the Challenger T/A exhaust wasn't exactly designed to fit a Duster. This took a bit of heat, a whole lot of eyeballing and test fitting, and a couple of pieces of beading wire to hold the modified exhaust together.
First up, the stripped exhaust in it's original size on the chassis...yeah, that's not gonna fit!
SuperDuster144-vi.jpg
The exhaust itself lands right at the back corner of the door...not the best placement!
SuperDuster143-vi.jpg
A bit of heat was applied to the exhaust tips, a bit of pressure, and we have tips that are better aligned. I also cut a section out of the center, and bent the pipes going up to the engine so they would line up with the location that the Duster's exhaust took over the transmission crossmember...
SuperDuster145-vi.jpg
4 holes were carefully drilled in the modified exhaust, and a bit of 24 gauge beading wire was added to each pipe on the rear half...
SuperDuster146-vi.jpg
And a bit of Tamiya Extra Thin cement was added to the joint. Once it's cured, I'll work on making the seam disappear, hopefully making it look like a kit part!
SuperDuster147-vi.jpg
Once all of the repairs to the exhaust are done, I still need to make it play nice with the exhaust from the engine, which should be a real joy...I'm not looking forward to it! Oh, and then I need to find a way to get the exhaust secured to the chassis!
Edited by Custom Mike

Little update for the engine of my '58 Chevy Sedan Delivery. I got the carburetors installed. They are from my parts box, Air Cleaners are from Revell '69 Nova and they need some Black Washing before I can call them done. Also started the Fuel Lines, still needs to make one fitting to the Water Pump so I can connect the lines there, too.

DSCN1136.jpg

DSCN1138.jpg

DSCN1140.jpg

Little update for the engine of my '58 Chevy Sedan Delivery. I got the carburetors installed. They are from my parts box, Air Cleaners are from Revell '69 Nova and they need some Black Washing before I can call them done. Also started the Fuel Lines, still needs to make one fitting to the Water Pump so I can connect the lines there, too.

DSCN1140.jpg

looking good. nice detail.....

Niko, that enigne looks great, Jim, I hope you and Marshall can join in, you've both got some killer work going on!

Now I'm gonna take over the thread for a bit, I got a lot of work done on the SuperDuster this weekend! First up, we'll show the completed interior. I screwed up on this, after making up the under-dash gauge sets, I forgot to put them in. Now, since I did such a stupendous job gluing it together, I had to add the set of three gauges AFTER everything was assembled. I also forgot to paint the Duster badge on the driver's too, so that had to be done also. Let's start with the pics of the not-quite completed interior, then we'll get into the adding of the gauges...I'm a goober!

SuperDuster173-vi.jpg

SuperDuster174-vi.jpg

SuperDuster175-vi.jpg

Now comes the part where there was a very high chance of screwing this interior up. Trumpeter Panel Scriber to the rescue! I love this tool even more now, it made this possible with the dash glued solidly in place, thank God! I picked a spot for the gauges (Right above the ashtray), and started carefully scribing a line in the front side of the dash...

SuperDuster176-vi.jpg

Once I had the front side started, I went at it from the back side also...
SuperDuster177-vi.jpg

At this point, I had laid the gauge set on the back side of the dash to see how long the hole was going to have to be, then continued scribing the hole
SuperDuster178-vi.jpg

The hole is all the way through now, just a bit of clean-up, and the gauges can be installed!
SuperDuster179-vi.jpg

The gauges in place, almost like I never forgot them!
SuperDuster180-vi.jpg

Edited by Custom Mike

The next headache on the road to completion, the 383 Sam sent, of course was not the engine designed for this chassis. So when I tried to slide it into place with the exhaust installed, I found the oil pan was hitting the inside of the K-member. A quick couple of passes with the X-Acto knife solved this one...

SuperDuster183-vi.jpg

SuperDuster184-vi.jpg

Now onto more of the exhaust system. I got it all together nicely if you recall, added a bit of Mr Hobby White putty, but it just wouldn't fill the cuts properly.

Here's the glued exhaust, the gap has gotta go...
SuperDuster149-vi.jpg

A bit of Mr Hobby White putty, a bit of sanding....
SuperDuster150-vi.jpg

After hitting it with some Metalizer Stainless Steel, it just didn't look good enough...
SuperDuster151-vi.jpg

At this point, the pipe going up to the driver's side had snapped off at the joint. Now I had to strengthen the joint, a small piece of strip styrene was added to the back side, A bit of shaping to hide it on the sides...
SuperDuster152-vi.jpg

And a quick test-fit on the chassis, this is where the inspiration hit me, I had a way to hide the joint!
SuperDuster153-vi.jpg

Here's the fix, and a way to attach the exhaust to the chassis all in one! I grabbed some more .010 styrene strips, and glued a piece to the underside of the exhaust...
SuperDuster154-vi.jpg

A second piece was glued to the flat side and pushed down with a piece of sprue right against the exhaust, causing it to go vertical...
SuperDuster155-vi.jpg

Once the glue had set, some more glue was applied to the exhaust itself, and the strip was held down until the glue set, then the first step was repeated until I had a clamp/hanger assembly...
SuperDuster156-vi.jpg

A bit of trimming of the new hanger, two holes drilled, then mocked up on the chassis. Once I had the exhaust where I wanted it, I marked where I wanted to cut the pipes to join with the engine and drilled a hole in each to accept the beading wire in the exhaust manifolds...
SuperDuster157-vi.jpg

Edited by Custom Mike

Now we show one of the biggest headaches so far, the exhaust manifolds for the 383(496). Once again, I used some beading wire at the ends of the pipes to secure the exhaust to them, but I also added some on the engine side to make sure the stay put. This is where the nightmare started. Here's what they looked like when they were installed, all nice and pretty!

Beading wire installed on the pipes, I added some to the head sides too, look at how straight those pipes are....
SuperDuster159-vi.jpg

SuperDuster162-vi.jpg

I did a quick test fit in the chassis, and the pipes were nowhere near where they needed to be, and the driver's side was hitting the tie rod. So I broke out a lighter, and spent the next two hours carefully applying heat and bending the pipes (Four bends on one side, five on the other) while they were attached to the engine..
SuperDuster163-vi.jpg

SuperDuster164-vi.jpg

SuperDuster165-vi.jpg