Model Cars Magazine Forum

Back in the game - 70 Chevelle-racing stripes and clear coat update SHINY!

1fine89

photo-1_zpsec53a148.jpg

Well after creeping around here for a few months I have gotten enough inspiration to start building.
The Chevelle will be a curbside build and the 454 for the Chevelle kit is going into the monte carlo in the background.

70 chevelle
has been sanded and preped for primer.
rims, front and rear grills have been detailed.
wheels still need to be weathered.

The Monte Carlo is the main reason for my modeling procrastination. Heres what happened: I painted it black, and although it turned out pretty good I wasn't happy with it. I tried polishing it, using future ect. Long story short I ended up messing up the paint and I have been avoiding it. I have made all sorts of goodies for it, scratch build stuff cowl hood, 454, drag lites, plug and wires, headers, ect, but I haven't been able to bring myself back to the bench due to the paint let down. Heres where it lays sitting.

86 Monte Carlo 454
Stripped of paint
body work complete

My plan is to finish sanding the monte carlo before the weekend and have them both in primer after the weekend.

sorry for the big picture and thanks for reading my long winded rant
Cheers, M!k3

Edited by 1fine89

ok update time

Chevelle
I got the chevelle in the paint booth and shot some color. I also painted the interior black but will wait to show it until I flock it.
I really like the color. ITs painted in dupli color medium grey met. From what I can tell its pretty close to the dark grey offered in 1970.

P1140002_zps0f5f73e0.jpg

This picture might show the color better

P1140008_zps35f6b4c2.jpg

IT will have the factory rally strips on the hood and BMF when finished!

Ok so I have a question for all you model buffs, I have wet sanded my bare plastic model from 600-2000. Shot 3 coats of primer, wet sanded again with 2000. Shot my base grey (color shown)

Now my question is-would it be best to wet sand again with 2000, then shoot 3-5 coats of dupli color clear? then what? buff or wet sand the clear?

Any help would be great!!

Got the racing stripes on the Chevelle tonight and some clear coat. Its amazing how much the prep work makes your paint lay down nice. This is the first time I have really taken my time and really concentrated on the finish paint. Hopefully you like the outcome!

The paint is really smooth and I think will only need a little polish.

Tell me what you guys think

photo-1_zps0d92a83a.jpg

photo4-1_zpsf3e869c1.jpg

Edited by 1fine89