#321 John Pol

John Pol

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 866 posts
  • Full Name:John Pol

Posted 05 March 2013 - 03:29 PM

We all have different levels of building.I wish I had some of the knowledge John has his scratchbuilding and knowledge to me is amazing. Keep up the good work John it seems there is nothing you can`t build or scratchbuild. My hat goes off to you and your craftmanship. And it takes a big man to amite his mistakes. And I`m sure we all do that.

John Pol

#322 cobraman

cobraman

Crazy 'bout Cobras!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,336 posts
  • Full Name:Ray Kurn

Posted 05 March 2013 - 03:33 PM

John, your builds including this one are a work of art. I admire your abilities to create such detailed builds.

#323 Harry P.

Harry P.

MCM Ohana

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,715 posts
  • Full Name:A mere layman...

Posted 05 March 2013 - 03:34 PM

Hey guys... can we stick to the model itself and refrain from personal critiques?

For some reason John's threads seem to spark controversy. I guess when you have the name recognition that John does, you're going to draw attention to yourself and your work, both positive and negative. But let's refrain from personal comments, please.

#324 John Teresi

John Teresi

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,159 posts
  • Full Name:John Teresi

Posted 05 March 2013 - 03:38 PM

Hey guys... can we stick to the model itself and refrain from personal critiques?

For some reason John's threads seem to spark controversy. I guess when you have the name recognition that John does, you're going to draw attention to yourself and your work, both positive and negative. But let's refrain from personal comments, please.

I`m done :) ........I have said what I need to say :) ........I`ll get back to work on the freaky "Freakshow"..........I have other models to build. :D

#325 Scale-Master

Scale-Master

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,889 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 03:58 PM

Talking about honesty?.........you have made so many super 7`s.........maybe you will get this one right?........the one your working on now. ;)

Sure let's talk honesty.  Show us where I have not been honest.  If you are going to make a comment like that, be prepared to back it up.

That is quite an interesting comment John.  Just what exactly do you think I did not get right on them?  Would you like to show me how you could build one better?

Let me help with some honest facts:

One of my Sevens earned me a TamiyaCon win and trip to Japan. (2001)

Another won the Judges Grand Best Of Show Award at an IPMS National Convention. (2003)

Yet another earned both The People's Choice Best of Show and Judges Best Of Show, (and several other Best Of awards) at the 2007 GSL.

And add to that in every contest we have both entered, I beat you and took all the Best of Show awards, all with my Super Sevens.

So if you are trying to have a urinating contest I suggest you stop facing the wind.

I think it is more a case of sour grapes than an attempt at humor. 

Edited by Scale-Master, 05 March 2013 - 04:18 PM.

#326 Von Don Koolkat

Von Don Koolkat

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Full Name:Don 'Koolkat' Graham

Posted 05 March 2013 - 04:17 PM

maybe we could move the off-topic comments to the rivet counter thread, I really want to see how John finishes this build.

I agree. There's also the recycle bin.

#327 OldTimer50707

OldTimer50707

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 895 posts
  • Full Name:Lee Burrows

Posted 05 March 2013 - 04:19 PM

John, keep up the fantastic job you are doing on this build. Not sure why this thread all of a sudden went south :(

#328 Harry P.

Harry P.

MCM Ohana

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,715 posts
  • Full Name:A mere layman...

Posted 05 March 2013 - 04:48 PM

As per usual Harry, you're talking out of both sides of your mouth.  You can't dump on the real car without dumping on the replica, plain and simple. You can't say the real car is in your words: the ugliest, gaudiest, most over the top (in a bad way), tasteless, schlocky, garish and finally revolting creation ever and not expect John or anyone else to relate those insults to his replica of that very same car. If the model looks exactly like the real car, those same adjectives apply to it no matter how you try to spin it.

Not true. In fact, what I said was that the real car is ugly, but that was not a reflection on John's work.

John didn't design the car, he's making a model of it. And doing a very good job. I am not criticizing him for the way the car looks... he had nothing to do with that. There is a difference between commenting on the looks of the real car and commenting on John's work. And I said that John's work is first rate.

The real car is ugly. John's modeling talent is first class. Two different things.

#329 codie27

codie27

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts
  • Full Name:Codie Lawrey

Posted 05 March 2013 - 05:40 PM

It seems to me the more talented a builder is and the more they utilise scratchbuilding parts for their models the more negative comments they get from others who aren't quite as willing to build their own. All negativity aside, it takes guts to take such an oddball subject and to be able to create all the parts needed to make it look like the real car. Great work so far. I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of your updates on the build and the finished model.

#330 Von Don Koolkat

Von Don Koolkat

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Full Name:Don 'Koolkat' Graham

Posted 05 March 2013 - 05:47 PM

A piece of wood plaque on the wall doesn't impress me at all. What impresses me is a model builder's attitude and REAL contributions to the hobby,- whether they build awesome or ho-hum models --- or even build models at all.

I know the Freakshow real car is not the epitome of beauty, but that's one of the kool things about building it. One of my my own projects if Frank Marrata's 40 Merc (The Pink Beast), which is way up at the top of the list for wierd, wayout (yes, ugly) customs. Just the project itself gets a lot of looks when people recognize it. If the steering wheel on it is wrong (I'm not that far) and I've tried to find the right one - I will still call it a replica model. I don't care about the rivet counters, because it's my lifetime hobby. I don't care about 'winning'. I care more about a fellow modeler telling me "nice model".

I can't wait to see this finished, John!

Edited by Von Don Koolkat, 05 March 2013 - 05:50 PM.

#331 Randy D

Randy D

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts
  • Full Name:Randy Ditton

Posted 05 March 2013 - 05:55 PM

Hi John,   Getting caught up with your progress,  looks fabulous!!!!   Love the interior and what a monster motor.   Your detailing is outstanding.

I noticed the great looking gauge faces on the air tank, how did you do those?   Need some on some tanks for my dio project.

Keep up the good work my friend :)

Randy

#332 Rob McKee

Rob McKee

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 846 posts
  • Full Name:Rob McKee

Posted 05 March 2013 - 05:59 PM

It's coming along very nicely John. I noticed the guages on the tanks as well. How did you do those?

#333 John Teresi

John Teresi

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,159 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 06:01 PM

Hi John,   Getting caught up with your progress,  looks fabulous!!!!   Love the interior and what a monster motor.   Your detailing is outstanding.

I noticed the great looking gauge faces on the air tank, how did you do those?   Need some on some tanks for my dio project.

Keep up the good work my friend :)

Randy

Hi Randy..........I used a chrome spru for the base of the gauge and used "Pro Tech" faces with ring.........I added a little detail to one of the gauge faces by using a .005  red and green pen........thanks

#334 John Teresi

John Teresi

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,159 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 06:03 PM

It's coming along very nicely John. I noticed the guages on the tanks as well. How did you do those?

Hi Rob........I just replied to Randy`s comment........thanks

#335 Hollywood Jim

Hollywood Jim

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 434 posts
  • Full Name:Jim F.

Posted 05 March 2013 - 06:30 PM

I love your work John. 

#336 John Teresi

John Teresi

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,159 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 06:32 PM

I love your work John. 

thanks Jim........yours as well buddy........they don`t call you Hollywood for nothing........you got some talent buddy. ;)

#337 Da_Wolfman

Da_Wolfman

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Full Name:Dan Arnall

Posted 05 March 2013 - 08:05 PM

John, amazing work. I am anxiously awaiting another update. I appreciate all of the photo's and your willingness to share your tricks-of-the-trade. Keep up the great work.

BTW, the engine looks outstanding.

#338 Pro Wrench

Pro Wrench

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • Full Name:Curt Scott

Posted 05 March 2013 - 08:38 PM

The valve covers are a non-issue. Not everybody is an ASE certified mechanic. I challenge anybody to post their own perfect model.  I've never seen one. Better yet, please post your own model YOU'VE BUILT of the FreakShow. I've considered building it, but it seemed to be a rather an intimidating model to construct..

At the same time, I'm sure John appreciates the correction about the valve covers. I am sure many modelers aren't aware of some superficial differences like that. Super model, John!

I agree. For what it's worth, I am an ASE Certified Master Technician and I didn't notice. Not that I would have cared if I had. Also for what it's worth, the Mona Lisa doesn't have eyebrows and I could care less about that also.

#339 Bill Edman

Bill Edman

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 730 posts
  • Full Name:Bill Edman

Posted 05 March 2013 - 10:37 PM

knowing the real car personally i cannot wait to see how john goes thru finishing it especially the paint. keep up the good work john salivating to see more of this awesome build!

#340 RAT-T

RAT-T

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • Full Name:Tom King

Posted 06 March 2013 - 04:11 AM

GEEZE, I THOUGHT WE WERE ALL HERE TO GET AWAY FROM THE DRAMA?

THE CAR LOOKS AWESOME JOHN! LOOKING FORWARD TO THE PAINT WORK ON THE BODY