Model Cars Magazine Forum

1963 Cougar ll Updated 2-1

cobraman

I built this car several years ago when it was a new kit. I believe at that time it was an IMC kit. I recall it being a rough build and it did not turn out too good. So..... since it has a Cobra chassis and I am a Cobra kind of guy I thought I would take another crack at it. I plan on some mods and I guess I will see where it goes. Parts look pretty clean but not sure about the fit yet. I don't care for the stupid sliding side windows and that feature may not make it to the final product.

ebayandmcmphotos001.jpg

Edited by cobraman

Just take your time, it is a pretty good kit of what I think is a cool car. I built one a few decades ago (I think might have been the Testors issue if not the original IMC), and while it was a little fiddly, it went together fine and all the features worked. Still have it in a prominent place in my case... It should be a deeper red than shown on the box, more like a candy burgundy red if you want to go for accuracy.

I started one of these back in the IMC release days and while I never heard about the tube chassis being Cobra, I can see how that could be said.

There are vintage model car magazine articles on how to build one before it was kitted.

If lindberg didn't ruin the molds it should go together just fine.

I also built this is a kid ( about 12 or 13 I think ) and don't remember the Cobra chassis , how about a photos of it before you start ?

Here is a chassis photo. The one on the left is from an AMT Cobra kit and on the right the chassis from the Cougar ll.

cobrachassis002.jpg

I built one of these also a few years ago, and while some of the parts can be a bit fiddly, it does go together nicely if you take your time. The in progress build I did can be seen here------I would post pics, but I don't want to hijack the thread. ;)

Yes, the show car chassis was from the 289 Cobra of the day, and yes the engine was set back a bit to give the car a more "mid-front" weight balance. Everyone expected Ford to bring out this car as the Corvette Sting Ray was wowing the public at the time, but the car was nothing more than a "teaser" for what Ford actually brought out a few years later.

What might have been though!

Got a little ( very little ) work done on this build. Since I am not doing it stock but rather as a mild custom I modified the hood a bit and I don't care for the operating head lights I glued them in. I puttied up the headlight doors and also the front pan.

cougarll2002.jpgcougarll2001.jpg

Forgot to add........... yes, that is the green putty everyone loves so much. : )

I have another small update. I was watching the BJ auto auction and saw a beautiful 63 Vette which we all know has the split back window. One of my favorite cars and I got to thinking.................. this Cougar kit is a 63 so why not borrow that idea. Still needs work but you can get the idea.

cougar3001.jpg

My thoughts for this kit are to build it as a race car. I have a couple of the kits and started on one of them when Lindberg introduced it. But then we moved and I've never pulled it back out.

- Halibrand mags to replace the wires that failed on the 1st racing Cobra.

- Hood scoop for the 4 Webers

- Side header pipes or possibly a pair out the back

- USA racing colors. White/blue Possibly like the Shelby Blue with white stripes or metallic blue with a white band across the hood. Or maybe even white with blue stripes like old family friend Briggs Cunningham's cars.

- Spoilers front and rear have been considered also. They were used on the GTOs and other GT racers of the era.

Edited by DustyMojave

• 2 weeks later...