Model Cars Magazine Forum

Need help. Wanting to make a resin duplicate.

I am working on a 58 biscayne 4 door that has taken a lot of time and work and the bodywork is almost done. After its done i will be giving it to my dad (it's a. Replica of his that he owned many years ago) and I want one for my self so I was thinking I might Make a cast and pop out a few.

My problem is that because they will be just for me I only want 3 or 4 i am not looking to spend a huge amount and I have never done any resin work and I want to. My questions are what would be the best method for making a few duplicates? I am not looking to make professional quality bodys just something that looks nice when built. Also what supplies (i have no supplies for making resin or for working with resin) would I need to do a quick cast? How much roughly would the supplies required cost? And any tips or techniques any one had to offer would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Casting is fairly easy once you know a few tricks, but I don't suggest any novice jump right in with a full body casting. You might be better off going through one of the casters here to get them done. I can point you to a supplier where you can get the supplies and the amount you need for just over a hundred bucks. If you are dead set on giving it a try, message either Futurabat or Chief Joseph. Both good guys, both experienced casters and they won't steer you wrong. :)

To add to Kevin's comments, if you have NEVER cast a part before, you definitely don't want to start with a body! I realize you are Down Under, but you are best to find someone locally who can help you or do it for you as you could mess up the master.

In the long run it might be cheaper to do another conversion like you did of the first one than to try and resin cast another copy. Not sure how popular a 4 door 58 Chevy would sell so you may find it hard for a resin caster to make them unless you pay for the complete costs.

Best of luck and it is nice of you to make that for your Dad!

It can't hurt to ask resin casters if they would be interesyed in selling copies of your car body, and give you several copies as payment. I did that with an out of production drag car a while back.

Edited by LDO

Hey James.

Casting may seem daunting at first but given time it does get easier. I have been casting for over 10 years and i have found there are a number of ways to cast bodies. The most obvious is casting with a two part mould but this is also quite costly as far as materials go. The best way to cast a body if you are a first timer is the pour and set method. You cast one side at a time starting with the roof first then moving onto the bonnet and boot area followed by the both sides, this is a very slow way to do it, but the advantage that the body is fully cured at de mould time and far more rigid. As far as materials go

i would get in touch with Barnes Products in Sydney and order through them. I would say that if you are only casting the body that a one kilo container of M4503 silastic would be all you need and about the same amount of Easy Cast part A and B Resin. Any way if you need help with this p.m me and i am sure we can work something out.

Cheers.....Rob.