#1 raildogg

raildogg

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts
  • Full Name:Richard A Rozzi

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:10 AM

Did you ever get a kit that was poorly engineered? I've been building a ROG W900 Wrecker, the Fred's Automotive issue, and it's a dog. First, it was chrome that was too thick, and had wrinkles in key araes, then it was mold shift flash everywhere now it's the air cleaner cans have the mounting tabs reversed. And to top that off the duct work that connect the turbo to the cans interferes with things on the fire wall and causes massive miss alignment issues. Yes, I double checked my build orientations for, if I glued things backwards, and I did not. So, now I'm stuck re desighning the turbo duct works and trying to make the cleaner cans presentable.and finding a way to make corrugated ducts from scratch. Man did you ever have one of those day's. I just can't get a break on this one. Just thought I'd share my angst. Thanks guys

#2 Blown03SVT

Blown03SVT

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts
  • Full Name:Eric Terry

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:44 AM

The last issue of the 33 Willys street machine... the 57 Corvette gasser, and the 37 Chevy gasser come to mind. Now, granted this was when Racing Champions was handling all the old AMT kits. 

#3 Scuderia

Scuderia

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,504 posts
  • Full Name:Lawrence Greene

Posted 22 January 2013 - 12:09 PM

monogram Testarossa, AMT 97 Trans Am. That Trans Am i built a decade ago, fit like poo. Hated it so much, decided to try it again now that I'm a bit older. Same issues, and even worse is the AMT has no side-mirrors.

#4 Scalper

Scalper

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,831 posts
  • Full Name:Andre

Posted 22 January 2013 - 12:33 PM

OH RATS... I have that 57 Corvette Gasser on my shelf too.   I wonder if it has any good parts as a donor kit?

Yeah the rims and tires. they are pretty nice

#5 Guest_G Holding_*

Guest_G Holding_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 January 2013 - 12:36 PM

Don't let Harry see this, we could get 10 or 12 PAGES on Pocher kits......

#6 Harry P.

Harry P.

MCM Ohana

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,387 posts
  • Full Name:A mere layman...

Posted 22 January 2013 - 01:18 PM

Don't let Harry see this, we could get 10 or 12 PAGES on Pocher kits......

:lol:

All I'll say is... if you think one of your 1/24 kits is hard to build, try a Pocher and you'll know what real frustration is like!

#7 slusher

slusher

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,078 posts
  • Full Name:carl slusher

Posted 22 January 2013 - 01:28 PM

l have to agree with the monogram Testarossa its bad.

#8 Jordan White

Jordan White

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,710 posts
  • Full Name:Name Full

Posted 22 January 2013 - 01:44 PM

The worst kits are any where exterior body parts must be installed with no tabs, especially body color parts that must be installed after the interior tub. 

#9 Ace-Garageguy

Ace-Garageguy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,937 posts
  • Full Name:Bill Engwer

Posted 22 January 2013 - 01:56 PM

Gee willikers, I guess I have the wrong attitude. I don't see poor-fit issues as problems, but as skill-builders. Instead of throwing them in the trash-compactor, send me all your badly-engineered models. I'll even pay shipping.

#10 Steven Zimmerman

Steven Zimmerman

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 811 posts
  • Full Name:Steven

Posted 22 January 2013 - 02:05 PM

Crybabies ! Try workin on a resin body, where you have to scratchbuild your interior, frame, glass, dashboard....shall I go on ?

#11 Draggon

Draggon

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,732 posts
  • Full Name:Glenn Asher

Posted 22 January 2013 - 02:42 PM

ANY of Revells "saints and sinners" series, and all of those "Buttera" kits and spin offs. I'm no newbie, but that dang Buttera kit has got me stymied. Not gonna send 'em to you Bill, I am committed to building at least one before I die!

Edited by Draggon, 22 January 2013 - 02:43 PM.

#12 Blown03SVT

Blown03SVT

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:32 PM

OH RATS... I have that 57 Corvette Gasser on my shelf too.   I wonder if it has any good parts as a donor kit?

I refuse to round file a model because it is kicking my butt. I did build all the Gassers I mentioned. LOTS or trial fitting, filing and super glue with zip kicker. The Vette got me the worst though. The chrome was terrible as was with the others, the windsheild was about 3/16th's of an into wide, and the side coves were way out to lunch. Forget about the front hinge. I will eventually scratch build one someday that actually works. The wheels are okay, but the rims are too small for the rear slicks.

ANY of Revells "saints and sinners" series, and all of those "Buttera" kits and spin offs. I'm no newbie, but that dang Buttera kit has got me stymied. Not gonna send 'em to you Bill, I am committed to building at least one before I die!

I've built a few Buttera kits... very fiddly but you can make them look alright. They are right up there with the old Revell Gassers like the 41 Willys, 51 Henry J, 38 (?) Anglia and the 50 Austin. Lots of patience required.

#13 Gregg

Gregg

da Big Kahuna

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,427 posts
  • Full Name:Gregg Hutchings

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:42 PM

OMG

Da Big Kahuna speaks.

I just went through this with the AMT/Model King '69 Camaro Funny Car kit.

Granted, the box art that our friend Sean Svendsen did is fantastic, and makes you want to buy and build the kit, but the fit of almost everything in the kit is horrible!

I lost the last two remaining hairs on my head on this one.

The front end caused me so much problems, I ended up sending Sean a note, asking for some more pics and clarifications.

He came through like a champ, and this should help with an article on the build of this very cool kit.

The old AMT instructions don't match up to the kit parts, the kit parts don't fit, and nothing goes together like it should.

Too bad it wasn't re-engineered to today's standards, they would have had an incredible 5-star kit on their hands!

Thanks for the help, Sean!

#14 Chuck Most

Chuck Most

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,715 posts
  • Full Name:^See Above

Posted 22 January 2013 - 05:27 PM

:lol:

All I'll say is... if you think one of your 1/24 kits is hard to build, try a Pocher and you'll know what real frustration is like!

Still can't be as bad as rebuilding the front end on an old Dodge truck that's been cobbled with parts from who knows how many model years by wanna-be mechanics over the decades... I now know why Mustang II IFS setups are so popular. :blink:

#15 jas1957

jas1957

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts
  • Full Name:John Strick

Posted 23 January 2013 - 12:57 AM

AMT '53 & '55 Vette,   The bodies, interiors & chassis are all nice but try putting them all together  & it just don't work.

#16 Jantrix

Jantrix

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,131 posts
  • Full Name:Rob Mattis

Posted 23 January 2013 - 01:38 AM

Come join the Nightmare Kits CBP, and hang with folks in the same boat.

#17 Eshaver

Eshaver

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,867 posts
  • Full Name:Ed Shaver

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:43 AM

Crybabies ! Try workin on a resin body, where you have to scratchbuild your interior, frame, glass, dashboard....shall I go on ?

RIGHT ON............................

#18 plowboy

plowboy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,213 posts
  • Full Name:Roger Hayes

Posted 23 January 2013 - 03:21 AM

Try a Revell '57 Ranchero if you want some punishment. Getting the multi piece body together is the easy part. Getting the chassis to fit the body so that it doesn't look like it has a three inch body lift is another all together.

#19 Tom Kren

Tom Kren

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,745 posts
  • Full Name:Tom Kren

Posted 23 January 2013 - 03:26 AM

AMT 76 Gremlin this kit sucks nothing fits thew mine at the wall after about a hr or fitting parts that dont fit! Nice box art is all its got going for it.lol

#20 Blown03SVT

Blown03SVT

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 03:47 AM

I pretty sure there is a difference here. If you buy a "kit" you have a little expectation it is diesigned to sort of fit together. Buying a resin body with the intent of scratch building everything, you knew what you were getting into. If that's you skill set then I applaud you.