54 replies to this topic

#21 Craig Irwin

Craig Irwin

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,793 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 03:59 PM

I also have one that I bought as a builtup w/ an opening decklid, must be a '60s issue?

I built an orignal 62 Corvette in 62, with an opening trunk. I can't remember if it was an AMT or SMP.

#22 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,984 posts
  • Full Name:Casey Littmann

Posted 26 January 2013 - 06:13 PM

Here's the "Countdown" issue kit ,,

Again, it's chrome tree and a closeup of the slotted wheels.

Seems to be a lot of blank spaces on this tree.

IMG_1405-vi.jpg

These appear to be the same wheels, only de-chromed? I can't tell if wheel #3 (the first rear wheel, left to right) has a flashed over center bore or not, but it looks like #4 does:

soitvette_zpsbaf0f5de.jpg

sitmvette2_zpseeece6e2.jpg

Are the "'60s Sizzle" issue wheel just so laden with undercoating that the texture is lost after they were plated?

And why does the Countdown go from 62, 61, 60, then back up to 69?, 68, 67???  :huh:

#23 Alan

Alan

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • Full Name:Alan Bohack

Posted 26 January 2013 - 07:01 PM

The wheels in the first chrome tree posted and the orig. SITM kit were also used as the front wheels in the 67 Cyclone AWB kits.

Also, ALL the drag parts except the slotted wheels and hard top are in the 94 issue (1962 Chevrolet Corvette convertble kit #6489 ) where the built up on the box art is black

Edited by Alan, 26 January 2013 - 07:49 PM.

#24 tim boyd

tim boyd

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,127 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 08:44 AM

The wheels in the first chrome tree posted and the orig. SITM kit were also used as the front wheels in the 67 Cyclone AWB kits.
Also, ALL the drag parts except the slotted wheels and hard top are in the 94 issue (1962 Chevrolet Corvette convertble kit #6489 ) where the built up on the box art is black

I agree with Alan on the black box art version having all the drag parts except for the wheels.

I just checked my Model King reissue of the '67 Cyclone AWB and the wheels in that kit are slotted Halibrands, but not the same tooling as the Sock it To Me versions. I wonder if Model King changed the tool when they reissued it - or maybe AMT changed it back when they did the Street Freak series (assuming this kit was part of the Street Freak series - I can't recall).

TIM

#25 Rob Hall

Rob Hall

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,128 posts
  • Full Name:Robert Hall

Posted 27 January 2013 - 09:56 AM

And why does the Countdown go from 62, 61, 60, then back up to 69?, 68, 67???  :huh:

I guess it was supposed to look like it wrapped around...never noticed that.   The 'Countdown Series' kits give me warm fuzzies, as kits from that series were the first AMT glue kits I ever built as a kid back in the day..my gateway to AMT...

Edited by Rob Hall, 27 January 2013 - 09:56 AM.

#26 1972coronet

1972coronet

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,387 posts
  • Full Name:John Shoe

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:04 PM

Some inspiration !

From the Rod Shop fanpage via facebook :

Attached Files

#27 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,984 posts
  • Full Name:Casey Littmann

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:25 PM

Other than nostalgia and the decals, I'm not seeing any reason to purchase this kit over Revell's '62. The AMT kit's headlights are tiny and chrome plated(!), and the whole nose looks ad if it was stretched vertically. 

Wait, is this about the hardtop, again?  :lol:

#28 Craig Irwin

Craig Irwin

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,793 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:34 PM

Other than nostalgia and the decals, I'm not seeing any reason to purchase this kit over Revell's '62. The AMT kit's headlights are tiny and chrome plated(!), and the whole nose looks ad if it was stretched vertically. 

Wait, is this about the hardtop, again?  :lol:

It must be, and the decals !

#29 CEKPETHO BCE

CEKPETHO BCE

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 557 posts
  • Full Name:Andrey

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:48 PM

I was going to get this kit to build the drag/boneville version, but now it seems like I will be saving some money seeing how wonderfully this kit compares to the Revell version.

Thanks a lot guys for saving me money!

#30 Erik Smith

Erik Smith

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,815 posts
  • Full Name:Erik Smith

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:34 PM

It must be, and the decals !

They will probably through in a set of printed slicks, too.

#31 Craig Irwin

Craig Irwin

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,793 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 01:41 PM

Sorry, the headlights, front end and chassis are far too much for me now that Revell has done the subject light years better.

#32 cooltoys1

cooltoys1

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts
  • Full Name:Jay Ignatjew

Posted 16 March 2013 - 01:43 PM

Has anyone purchased the Sock it To Me reissue? I got it today, it looks the same as what i remember, other than the pad printed slicks and wide whites for the stock version, but im missing 2 wide whites, they only put 2 in my box?? anyone else??

#33 ss2000

ss2000

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Full Name:Joe Starry

Posted 16 March 2013 - 02:32 PM

Anybody get a metallic orange one yet? Wondering if it will be translucent like the Manx. Joe.

#34 Eshaver

Eshaver

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,870 posts
  • Full Name:Ed Shaver

Posted 16 March 2013 - 02:58 PM

I have to agree with Casey's opinions of this kit . I have one of the "Matchbox era" kits myself . I also well remember the Annual 1962 Corvette with it's opening trunk and some tools too. Uh, it was released as an AMT . Since kits are costing what they are today, I'll take my money and place it on something representative of the subject at hand . Sadly, A M T could have done better by NOT re releasing this piece .....................

#35 george 53

george 53

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,855 posts
  • Full Name:George53

Posted 16 March 2013 - 03:45 PM

Gotta agree. The old AMT kit DOES have problems with the front end. It has NEVER looked right. Headlights just seemed too small.The New Revell 62 kit is LIGHT YEARS ahead of the ol AMT junk. You'd be better off just buyin the slick and tire kits instead of wasteing your money on that 40 yr old AMT kit!

#36 Don Sikora II

Don Sikora II

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 06:49 PM

Anybody get a metallic orange one yet? Wondering if it will be translucent like the Manx. Joe.

The one I bought is in the metallic orange. It is translucent, but the color looks great. 

#37 Rob Hall

Rob Hall

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,128 posts
  • Full Name:Robert Hall

Posted 16 March 2013 - 06:58 PM

Gotta agree. The old AMT kit DOES have problems with the front end. It has NEVER looked right. Headlights just seemed too small.The New Revell 62 kit is LIGHT YEARS ahead of the ol AMT junk. You'd be better off just buyin the slick and tire kits instead of wasteing your money on that 40 yr old AMT kit!

It's actually over 50 years old..

Edited by Rob Hall, 16 March 2013 - 06:58 PM.

#38 mikemodeler

mikemodeler

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,997 posts
  • Full Name:Classified

Posted 17 March 2013 - 04:59 AM

Was looking to buy this kit until I saw this review, thanks for saving me $20+ !

#39 ss2000

ss2000

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 09:10 AM

Has anyone purchased the Sock it To Me reissue? I got it today, it looks the same as what i remember, other than the pad printed slicks and wide whites for the stock version, but im missing 2 wide whites, they only put 2 in my box?? anyone else??

I just got 1 at the hobby shop today, and it also only has 2 stock tires. I got a white one, really want an orange one.

#40 ss2000

ss2000

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 10:36 AM

After looking the kit over, the bottom of the box shows just 4 tires, 2 slicks and 2 stock.