Hello all. I put the '36 Ford HiBoy aside because it was fighting me at final assembly. Instead of throwing it somewhere, I'll just come back to it at some point when I'm less aggravated with it. In the meantime, I started working on the '58 Ford Fairlane kit from The Modelhaus, which I bought myself for Christmas. It is a great casting with absolutely no cleanup needed. I soaked it in Westley's for a day, washed it off and let it air dry for a day. A thing I really love about this kit is that the interior is a platform style with side panels and not a tub casting. The front seat is also a separate piece along with the dashboard and steering wheel.
My plan is to make this as if someone in the late fifties customized this car by throwing a J.C. Whitney catalog at it to see what would stick... all Bolt-On Customizing.
I've pretty much got everything painted as of today, so here's what things look like at the moment.
The color is Tamiya Coral Blue. I sanded off the name badges and the door handles which I'll replace with chromed ones from my parts stash. This is a curbside model so I only sprayed the chassis flat black.
I put '59 Dodge Royel Lancer 4 bar spinner hubcaps on the front (from Modelhaus). I think these hubcaps are the ULTIMATE spinner hubcaps. I detailed them with some white paint.
The interior is Coral Blue and white. The side panels have been detailed with paint and BMF. The steering wheel is paint detailed and has straight pin shifter and turn signal levers and a round pin head for a necker knob. Istill have to flock the rugs black but I painted the floor flat black first.
I modified the grille by installing some pieces of polished aluminum tubing to make a tube grille and also mounted 2 pieces of round wound guitar string for curb feelers..
The continental kit is painted and the platform has some BMF on the ribs.
I have a sheet of gold BMF which I'll use for the side trim insert. Then I'll clearcoat the body and when that is dry and polished I'll apply the chrome BMF. I'll be mounting Bob Dudek lake pipes, dummy spots, mirrors and a swept back antenna on the trunk. I also put tiny blue MV lenses in the taillights for blue dots.
I'm hoping to have this finished up in a couple of days. Thanks for looking in on it.
Edited by Ramfins59, 28 January 2013 - 03:25 PM.