Model Cars Magazine Forum

Where do you get your magazines ?

Greg Myers

I have about 150 late '60s and early '70s Hot Rod, PHR, etc. magazines, but I rarely buy new nor vintage mags anymore. I can almost always find it more easily, more quickly, and of better quality online, and while I do still but books and higher quality magazines for specific reference, it almost always comes from eBay.

I pick up Mopar Action and Muscle Car Review at my local grocery, still get Collectible Automobile via snail mail, hit B&N occasionally to look for Motorsport, Car, and Top Gear.... I switched Hemmings Classic Cars, Hemmings Muscle Machines, Car & Driver, Road & Track and Automobile to electronic subscription and read them on my Kindle Fire...

I only get 2 magazines delivered and occasionally stop by Barnes & Noble. Ironically I went to B&N last night with the wife and daughter and it was the third location that didn't have MCM.

Thinking about subscribing to Muscle Car Review, have picked it up a couple of times and really like it, going to have to wait for my Hot Rod subscription to run out later this year.

I know Harry, the wife and I have a deal regarding monthly publications so I have to tread lightly. If you get MCR, the two 69 Camaros featured in the "Beaters" section, the Yenko and Z-28, are owned by a friend of mine and the magazine has a reader friendly feel.

Zinio electronic about 12 a month 1or 2 at the local grocery store 1 or 2@ b@n 40 miles away. model cars 1 a year at NNL east or if I run across the at a swap meet . I use to subscribe but never received a issue that the cover wasn't destroyed.

I subscribe to Scale Auto but have been picking Model Cars up at the local hobby shop. I need to subscribe! My subscription lapsed a while back.

I seldom buy a magazine at a store any more. I have gotten Vintage Truck for at least 15 years, starting back when it was called This Old Truck. I love Hemmings Classic Car. Those are the two must haves for me,

I also got a bunch of auto titles that sent me subscription deals for $10 a year. Popular Hot Rodding is one, I can't remember titles on the others. Just weren't worth getting at any price so I let them lapse.

Thanks Andy, and like Casey I also have some vintage Hot Rod and Super Stock magazines from the 50's and 60's as they make great reference material for future builds and also reading and photos of time gone by. Todays magazines are kinda lame in my book and it seems like I get less and less as the years go by.

Used to have subscriptions for everything I wanted to read but as the cost of magazines went up that got too pricey so have cut back to only a couple.

Buy Model Cars at the LHS and the rest of any mags I buy are at a chain book store, if they contain articles that I'm interested in.

Used to have subscriptions for everything I wanted to read but as the cost of magazines went up that got too pricey so have cut back to only a couple.

I cut way back because I realized I really wasn't reading the titles I was marginally interested in, or just scanning them. It wasn't uncommon for me to find a months old magazine I hadn't read. And they pile up since it's sacrilegious to throw out a car magazine! Just too much clutter!

My LHS brings in a bunch of copies of MCM, SA and its quarterly bonus issues for us "subscribers" on his list. Its not quite a subscription per se as I end up paying full cover price each issue, but since he picks up all his stock in the US its cheaper in the long run. Plus I still support the magazines! I also head to Indigo every month and pick up Hot Rod, Classic Trucks, Custom Classic Trucks, Muscle Car Review, Mopar Action, Bronco Driver, Blue Oval Trucks (or something like that; same outfit as Bronco Driver I think), and the occasional issue of Vintage Truck. I really should subscribe to all of these as I would save a ton... but, hearing horror stories of copies getting mangled kinda puts me off.