Improved Lighting & Magnification Options?

• You cannot reply to this topic
73 replies to this topic

#1 nitrojunkie

nitrojunkie

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 11:33 AM

Well its finally happened.Ive built off and on since age 6 or 7 and never had any problems but I am trying to detail a Big John Mazmanian Willys and the optivisor just is'nt doing the trick any more.I picked up a pair of "Reading Glasses" and they seem to be helping out pretty good but I guess a trip to the eye doctor is in order for a pair of modeling glasses.I came to this realization after it took 2 hrs to attach the injector linkages on a 1/25th Hilborn injector body. I really want to do more in depth builds like this.Are there any other good alternatives?I thought about a flourescent lighted magnifying glass.This will solve the ligthing and magnification.

#2 Harry P.

Harry P.

MCM Ohana

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,000 posts
  • Full Name:A mere layman...

Posted 28 July 2009 - 11:42 AM

You need good light to work. I use one of those combination fluorescent desk light/magnifier thingies... works pretty well. Between that and a newly-prescribed pair of glasses you should be ok.

#3 MikeMc

MikeMc

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,577 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 11:49 AM

Well its finally happened.Ive built off and on since age 6 or 7 and never had any problems but I am trying to detail a Big John Mazmanian Willys and the optivisor just is'nt doing the trick any more.I picked up a pair of "Reading Glasses" and they seem to be helping out pretty good but I guess a trip to the eye doctor is in order for a pair of modeling glasses.I came to this realization after it took 2 hrs to attach the injector linkages on a 1/25th Hilborn injector body. I really want to do more in depth builds like this.Are there any other good alternatives?I thought about a flourescent lighted magnifying glass.This will solve the ligthing and magnification.

If it is a genuine optivisor you can get stronger lenses right thru the mfgr. You can also add a helper loupe....The real trouble is the more magnification you add....the more you will need. I used a single eye loupe for many years on the repair bench and went stronger and stronger by adding extra loupes! After retiring and coming back to models...its the same thing all over. I use a large round flourescent magnifing light along with 2 40watt tubes overhead..lotsa light is good for my old eyes....

Posted Image

http://www.doneganop...m/optiloupe.php

http://www.doneganop...om/eyeloupe.php

http://www.doneganop...m/optivisor.php

Edited by MikeMc, 28 July 2009 - 12:09 PM.

#4 Fuel Coupe

Fuel Coupe

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 972 posts
  • Full Name:Shane Gans

Posted 28 July 2009 - 02:09 PM

the new glasses and the visor will do wonders for you old man. I came back too model building last year and havent been able to do much without the visor.....

Its a b*tch getting old...

#5 nitrojunkie

nitrojunkie

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 02:46 PM

Yeah gettin old sux but we have to deal with it Ive been using the readers a little bit today but constantly looking over them or switching to my regular prescriptions.I think my next stop is what Harry suggested wich is also what I referenced in the original post.The one we have in the tool room at work even has a loup we use it to inspect carbide inserts when wear is minimal.I have pretty good lighting but will probably add more thinking about flourescent like I have over the table top mill and lathe out in the garage.I'll probably have to get a magnifying lamp for out there too.Over time needs to start rolling back around like a week ago....

#6 James W

James W

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts
  • Full Name:James

Posted 28 July 2009 - 07:51 PM

I've picked up several pairs of readers at the Dollar Store. I started with +1.00 and cut the tops so they act like bi-focals, but I also have +1.75 and +2.75 and swap them around depending on how close up I want to work on something.

If nothing else they are cheap and quicker than an appointment.

#7 midnightprowler

midnightprowler

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,667 posts
  • Full Name:Lee

Posted 29 July 2009 - 01:24 AM

I have to use both the magnifier light and reading glasses.

#8 elan

elan

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 02:37 AM

You could always move up to a bigger scale like 1/20 or 1/16!

#9 nitrojunkie

nitrojunkie

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 05:15 AM

You could always move up to a bigger scale like 1/20 or 1/16!

I actually do have a couple of 1/16 FED's in the future.The readers are actually not too bad once I got used to them.The only draw back is now I see stuff I missed on other builds and some stuff looks like ###### to me, that before looked good and actually has placed in contests.Oh well live and learn new glasses are in the near future most likely bifocals not sure yet.The best is yet to come.

#10 Joe Handley

Joe Handley

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,850 posts
  • Full Name:Billy Joe

Posted 01 August 2009 - 04:47 PM

the new glasses and the visor will do wonders for you old man. I came back too model building last year and havent been able to do much without the visor.....

Its a b*tch getting old...

Hehe, that's far nicer than what Dad has to say about getting old....but I can't exactly repeat that on here either since this is a family forum :lol:

I'll never forget helping him on our old F/S Chevy Van when I was in highschool and he had to pull the steering column apart to tighten the screws that were coming loose in it and half the time he was complaining about the bifocals being more of a nusense while trying to see under the dash in the dark while working by flashlights.

#11 BigGary

BigGary

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • Full Name:Gary

Posted 02 August 2009 - 05:29 AM

Hehe, that's far nicer than what Dad has to say about getting old....but I can't exactly repeat that on here either since this is a family forum :)

I'll never forget helping him on our old F/S Chevy Van when I was in highschool and he had to pull the steering column apart to tighten the screws that were coming loose in it and half the time he was complaining about the bifocals being more of a nusense while trying to see under the dash in the dark while working by flashlights.

Whoever said "Getting old is not for cowards" sure knew what he's talking about. Since I'm naturally near sighted, I've begun to take off my glasses for close work. I may have to go to mag glasses at some point, or maybe I'll go back to R/C airplanes. :D A lot fewer small parts there.
Gary

#12 Monty

Monty

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,590 posts
  • Full Name:Monty

Posted 18 February 2012 - 03:01 PM

My hobby table is in the dimmest part of my apartment and the overhead lighting fixture seems to be more for decoration than illumination. I've been trying to augment this light with a regular 60 watt desk lamp, but I'm not happy with the results. The research I've done so far suggests that these LED lamps can produce brighter light than halogen lamps without the excessive heat, which sounds ideal.

If you have an LED lamp that you use for modeling and you're very happy with it, I'd appreciate it if you'd reply with a mfr part number or some other way to identify it.

#13 Harry P.

Harry P.

MCM Ohana

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,000 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 03:15 PM

This is the one I bought recently and am very happy with:

http://www.officedep...fier-Task-Lamp/

#14 Dr. Cranky

Dr. Cranky

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,414 posts
  • Full Name:Virgil "Doctor Cranky" Suarez

Posted 19 February 2012 - 01:18 AM

That's a good one, Harry. I also recommend the OTT lights.

http://www.amazon.co...29650271&sr=8-3

#15 espo

espo

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 518 posts
  • Full Name:david espenshade

Posted 19 February 2012 - 07:59 AM

"A mere layman" found a real good price. You might keep an eye open whene Office Depot has a sale or close out.

#16 Monty

Monty

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,590 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 08:48 AM

That's a good one, Harry. I also recommend the OTT lights.

http://www.amazon.co...29650271&sr=8-3

Virgil, what does yours use for a light source? After buying a lamp that promised the brightness of natural sunlight without the heat and having it put out the equivalent of moonlight on a foggy night, I can't afford to buy anything that doesn't measure up, hence the request for LED lighting.

#17 Harry P.

Harry P.

MCM Ohana

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,000 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 08:52 AM

Monty... you can't go wrong with the one I posted. Nice "daylight" color to the light it puts out, zero heat output, and supposedly will last for many years. At the price it's selling for right now (through the 25th), you just can't beat it.

#18 Burnout

Burnout

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 420 posts
  • Full Name:Ken Smith

Posted 20 February 2012 - 09:27 AM

I recently bought the lamp Harry recommended and have been very pleased. I often have to move it close to my work but that is more of a comment on my eyesight than the lamp's efficiency. I also like the magnifying glass - something I didn't have before.

#19 Monty

Monty

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,590 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 10:42 AM

Monty... you can't go wrong with the one I posted. Nice "daylight" color to the light it puts out, zero heat output, and supposedly will last for many years. At the price it's selling for right now (through the 25th), you just can't beat it.

I wish I could see one of these in use. If you read what I said to Virgil, I'm already leery of things that promise a certain type of light but come up short. As I mentioned, this will be my primary light source back there.

#20 sjordan2

sjordan2

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,673 posts
  • Full Name:Skip Jordan

Posted 20 February 2012 - 10:58 AM

I wish I could see one of these in use. If you read what I said to Virgil, I'm already leery of things that promise a certain type of light but come up short. As I mentioned, this will be my primary light source back there.

You heard it from Harry - a testimonial from a professional graphic artist who uses it regularly. If you want a demonstration, why not go to the store, such as OfficeMax, and take a look? Same goes for Virgil's recommendation of OttLite. As for the perfection of light, I have a magnifying light that looks like Harry's LED, but mine has a fluorescent ring light that works just fine for me.

Edited by sjordan2, 20 February 2012 - 10:59 AM.