38 replies to this topic

#1 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,901 posts
  • Full Name:Casey Littmann

Posted 11 February 2013 - 05:51 AM

Yep, 'bout time for this one to be reissued, this time under the Monogram "Car Show" label. I can't say I've ever completed one of these kits, but I have worked on a few and recall a good fit between most of the parts, some very nice but slightly oversized American 12-spokes up front, a great set of the sidewall insert Monogram pie-crust slicks with matching American Torq Thrust mag wheels, and some well done, chrome-plated early Hemi valve covers. The two-piece(?) Moon fuel tank is decent, too, and if you're into skeletons and ten gallon hats, you're gonna need a few of these in your stash.  :D If you like detail painting and trying to make styrene look like fabric, this is definitely the kit for you, as the entire closed in body area is wrapped with and covered by  fabric. 

Not sure if this one's out yet or not, as Model Roundup still has it listed as arriving in early March, but the box art is viewable:

RMX-4999-2.jpg

lmons4999.jpg

#2 gtx6970

gtx6970

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,881 posts
  • Full Name:Bill Allphin

Posted 11 February 2013 - 05:57 AM

Built one A LOOOOOONG time ago, and don't remember any issues .

I have one on the shelf for a future just in case .

#3 TooOld

TooOld

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,339 posts
  • Full Name:Bob Spedding

Posted 11 February 2013 - 06:05 AM

Yep ,  this one needed to be reissued .  It's one of my "old" favorites and there are a lot of great parts for kit bashing . 

I bet those skeletons have been used more than any other figure ever  !

#4 Blown03SVT

Blown03SVT

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts
  • Full Name:Eric Terry

Posted 11 February 2013 - 06:08 AM

Mybe if this one does well they will re-issue the Lil Coffin and the Red Baron

#5 Brett Barrow

Brett Barrow

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,235 posts
  • Full Name:Genius billionaire playboy philanthropist Brett M. Barrow, Esq.

Posted 11 February 2013 - 06:08 AM

RPP's (and eBay'ers it seems like <_< ) should have it around the 20th, regular Revell dealers around the first of the month.

I've always wanted to build one of these, but never owned one. For years I thought it was one of Tom Daniel's creations, it wasn't until very recently I discovered it was a real show car!

#6 Brett Barrow

Brett Barrow

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 06:19 AM

"some very nice but slightly oversized American 12-spokes up front"

Yeah, the real BHE has some serious rubber rake, the slicks probably need to be even bigger (new AMT hollow slicks, perhaps?) and the fronts need to be way smaller. Monogram made them pretty much the same size, but the kit still has the proper stance despite it. 

I wonder if the ones in the AMT 56 Ford would work, size wise?  They'd need to be narrowed, of course.  They always have needed it, since they're sized to fit a normal passenger car tire.

Funny, but the instruction sheet for the upcoming reissue of that kit shows a different skinny front "racing tire" for them, wonder if Round 2 has modified them? Have to wait and see, I guess.    

#7 gtx6970

gtx6970

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,881 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 07:41 AM

Looking for some pictures of the actual ride.I remember seeing it back when it was new and making the ISCA rounds ( yea I'm old )

http://www.google.co...bih=581#imgrc=_

There are some really wild looking rides here

http://www.losboulev...-pictures/page3

What the heck were they smoking back then

#8 John Goschke

John Goschke

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 07:51 AM

Straight from the darkest days of the show car era to your hobby shop shelves.

#9 gtx6970

gtx6970

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,881 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 07:57 AM

on a similar subject.

Anyone ever put any kind of list avail of the old show cars that are / were  avail in 1/25th - 1/24th scale ?

From out there builders  like Roth, Barris, Jeffries, etc etc etc

I got to look at Dean Jefferies Mantaray up close last year and that car just drips coolness

Edited by gtx6970, 11 February 2013 - 07:59 AM.

#10 Duggz

Duggz

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Full Name:Doug Wilson

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:07 AM

I built one back in the early 70's. I have one on the shelf waiting for me to get around to building it some day.

#11 High octane

High octane

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,668 posts
  • Full Name:Nick

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:38 AM

I've got photos of the 1:1 Boot Hill Express that I took a while back, but I won't be buyin' the kit as I have PLENTY to build already.

#12 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,901 posts
  • Full Name:Casey Littmann

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:39 AM

on a similar subject.

Anyone ever put any kind of list avail of the old show cars that are / were  avail in 1/25th - 1/24th scale ?

www.showrods.com has a good list, though I'm not certain it is "complete", in the strict definition of the word. The Coffin Corner forum also has a lot of show car themed builds and topics, too.

"some very nice but slightly oversized American 12-spokes up front"

Yeah, the real BHE has some serious rubber rake, the slicks probably need to be even bigger (new AMT hollow slicks, perhaps?) and the fronts need to be way smaller. Monogram made them pretty much the same size, but the kit still has the proper stance despite it. 

They are almost perfect for a 15" 1/16 scale wheel, but I think the real spindle mount 12-spokes were closer to 18" instead of the usual 15" spindle mount front wheels.

Those are some seriously "fat meats" on the back of the real BHE, and yes, the AMT large/wide rear M&H slicks would probably be perfect.  :)

#13 Draggon

Draggon

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
  • Full Name:Glenn Asher

Posted 12 February 2013 - 09:39 AM

I'm not sure if there were 2 Boothill Expresses, or 2 versions. Look at the difference in front tires/wheels. The kit is close to the first pic. Looks like the first wheels may have been 16-18" as used on fuel altereds, while the second is obviously 15" as used on gassers and funny cars.

2881022833_c57d535d57_z.jpg

BoothillExpress.jpg

#14 gtx6970

gtx6970

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,881 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 02:36 AM

I doubt there were 2 of these, probably more a case of subtle changes over it's lifetime. The actual BHE is still around

#15 440 Dakota

440 Dakota

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • Full Name:Ron Keller

Posted 13 February 2013 - 02:52 AM

on a similar subject.

From out there builders  like Roth, Barris, Jeffries, etc etc etc

I got to look at Dean Jefferies Mantaray up close last year and that car just drips coolness

here is a site that has a lot of show rods,don't know if its complete,click on the name of the car and info and box art will open

http://www.showrods....alpha_list.html

here is one I've never seen or heard about

http://www.showrods....sonny_cher.html

Edited by 440 Dakota, 13 February 2013 - 02:55 AM.

#16 Blown03SVT

Blown03SVT

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts
  • Full Name:Eric Terry

Posted 13 February 2013 - 03:05 AM

Glenn it wasn't uncommon for show car owners to change bit and pieces here and there or to re-paint to freshen the cars up for another show season. The pictures I have seen show it with different types of front rims and Torque Thrusts on the back with pie crust slicks, and then there other pictures show it with larger Cragar S/S and huge slicks. It sold at RM Auctions recently for $85K I believe.

#17 gtx6970

gtx6970

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,881 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 03:15 AM

here is a site that has a lot of show rods,don't know if its complete,click on the name of the car and info and box art will open

http://www.showrods....alpha_list.html

here is one I've never seen or heard about

http://www.showrods....sonny_cher.html

Thanks for the links.

Some of the kits back then were really out there

#18 Brett Barrow

Brett Barrow

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 06:42 AM

I'm not sure if there were 2 Boothill Expresses, or 2 versions. Look at the difference in front tires/wheels. The kit is close to the first pic. Looks like the first wheels may have been 16-18" as used on fuel altereds, while the second is obviously 15" as used on gassers and funny cars.

2881022833_c57d535d57_z.jpg

That's a little closer to what Monogram gives us, but I think it still needs more meat on the back. And I think it looks better with the rubber rake...   B) 

#19 dodgefever

dodgefever

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 10:25 AM

There were two: the one with the 18" 12 spokes is the original and has an early Hemi; the second one was a 'glass replica built for exhibition runs at drag strips.  That's the one with 15" wheels and it had a 426 ci late Hemi.

I recall the '80s issue of the BHE had Monogram's Goodyear Blue Streak slicks - wonder why they went back to the pie crusts with this one - licensing again?

Edited by dodgefever, 13 February 2013 - 10:27 AM.

#20 Custom Hearse

Custom Hearse

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,845 posts
  • Full Name:Marshall Glasgow

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:07 AM

I just finished building the original 1967 issue of the Boot Hill Express. There was one issue I did find annoying, and that was the way the body is supposed to be mounted in step 6 to the frame. You have to slip the body up under the rear pan(which was mounted to the body in step 4, which is not clear how it is to be mounted either), and slide the frame back against the rear wall of the body. I cut the channels on the rear pan out so the frame would slip in easier. Otherwise, there was an excellent chance of beaking the frame trying to "snap" it in there. I also found out that some of the parts are very fragile(I don't know if it was because the age of the plastic had made it brittle).

Having the "Bone Ranger" reissued is a plus in my opinion. He was a little fussy to put together, but he now stands proudly, leaning against his ride.