Model Cars Magazine Forum

Timing cover- Injected 426 Hemi

gtx6970

On a 426 Hemi thats running a Hilborn fuel injection system, there should be an aluminum ft timing cover. ribbed if I remember right . Is this cover avail in any particular kit ?

Or am I going to have to make it from scratch ?

Edited by gtx6970

There were both ribbed and non-ribbed timing covers in 1:1 back in the day. Pretty much any Dragster or Funny Car kit will have the kind of timing cover you need. A ribbed on will be harder to find, I'm not sure of any kits that have one. The Ramchargers F/E dragster might have one (not sure mine is back in Chicago so I can't look) but the engine in that kit isn't the best.

I have a ribbed one. I'm just not sure if it's what you need. If it is I can send it to you!

Can you post up a picture of it ?

This might be something that needs to be resin cast

I didn't think about the Ramchargers FED, but it's a blown car. And I've done some digging this morning, apparently not all of the hilborn injected cars used a cam driven fuel pump. seems some( Dave Strickler car as an example) used a belt driven pump mounted like a power steering pump.

The one I'm after looks like so ;

Hemi-Timing-Cover.JPG

Edited by gtx6970

The Lindberg Lil' Red Wagon has a Hilborn injected 426 with the ribbed cover.

Thanks, I didn't think about that one.

I pulled one off the shelf and took a look, and I don't care much for it .

I am going to strip the plating off of the one in the Ramcharger FED kit and see what it looks like unplated before I decide to make my own from scratch or not to send off to be copied .

The one I have is ribbed but not vertical. Im not even sure of the motor its on because I got it in a junk yard sale on eBay. Here's a pic. If you want it its yours.

Thanks, I surely appreciate the offer. I have the one from the Ramcharger car, it it doesn't work as like I want it to . I'll be in touch

Edited by gtx6970

Hey Bill,

Is this something you think would work as a photo etched piece? Looking at the picture in entry #4 looks like it might be do-able. It might require two separate pieces of PE, stacked together, to get enough 3-D and add more realism to it. Of course, there needs to be enough demand for it to make it cost-effective, too... Just a thought.

Hey Bill,

Is this something you think would work as a photo etched piece? Looking at the picture in entry #4 looks like it might be do-able. It might require two separate pieces of PE, stacked together, to get enough 3-D and add more realism to it. Of course, there needs to be enough demand for it to make it cost-effective, too... Just a thought.

Good question. Where it's located and especially if it gets hidden behind a water pump hsg, the effort to get any real detail will be moot point.

If it goes on a car that uses the bolt on / cam driven fuel pump I think it would be a nice detail to have, but I am biased . So my opinion may not be the one to ask.