Model Cars Magazine Forum

Camaro is American again

hey mini trucker you obviously have not figured out how this place works yet! logical statements are not necessarily welcome! :lol:

its good americans have jobs but really the writing has been on the wall for 30 or so years now so perhaps a better point would be that maybe amerikans should figure out there aint gonna be many manufacturing jobs here that one can make a decent living from so maybe they ought to get an edumacation so they can be useful in whats up for the future instead of grousing in the rust belt unemployment lines because "its what their daddys did".

it cracks me up that the wood pellets i use in my pellet stove say "Proudly Made In the USA". Really? "making" wood pellets is something to be proud of? oh for the old days of innovation and invention.

just a thought and sure to be controversial. but thats what makes a for a good discussion.

I didn't read anything about the Canada plant shutting down. Gm has a truck plant in Canada also. I think it's the same plant but not sure. I know all Crew cabs were made in Canada only at one time recently.

GM moved truck production to the U.S. also..

The camaro is a "world" car.It's basicly a Holden.Most manufactures are doing this global thing now.Unfortutly the only good global cars have been volkswagons,volvos,toyota trucks, and some mercedes .Different regions have differnt needs

Edited by mistermodel

it cracks me up that the wood pellets i use in my pellet stove say "Proudly Made In the USA". Really? "making" wood pellets is something to be proud of? oh for the old days of innovation and invention.

This brings about two questions...

1) Do you know what the employees are paid? Perhaps it's quite a nice wage, after all the when I was working at a company that was dedicated to hauling Miller Beer around the janitorial staff made almost $20/hr to sweep the floors, let alone the wages the people who actually "manufactured" the beer itself.

2) Is making wood pellets beneath you? You seem to have contempt for those workers? So they aren't making battleships...does that mean that can't be proud of their work and job? Having pride in something doesn't necessarily equate out to it's size or (for lack of a better term) epicness.

I guess since I only drive the truck, I can't have pride in my job since I didn't build the truck, or the factory it's assembled in... :rolleyes:

2) Is making wood pellets beneath you? You seem to have contempt for those workers? So they aren't making battleships...does that mean that can't be proud of their work and job? Having pride in something doesn't necessarily equate out to it's size or (for lack of a better term) epicness.

The key thing is taking pride in your work. I always tried to instill that in my students, my classmates, and everyone else where doing so was relevant and I was involved.

It doesn't matter if you're making wood pellets, computers, cars, battle ships or putty knives. If you don't care about what you're doing and it shows in the product, you and your customer both suffer the consequences.

Americans, historically, have taken pride in their work. Even during the social upheaval of the 1960s and '70s that brought the traditional values of work and integrity in the same into question, and then brought them low, caring about what you do is most important. What it is you care about what you're doing is, in a real sense, secondary.

Charlie Larkin

>2) Is making wood pellets beneath you? You seem to have contempt for those workers? So they aren't making >battleships...does that mean that can't be proud of their work and job? Having pride in something doesn't

>necessarily equate out to it's size or (for lack of a better term) epicness.

my point was that this seems to be what americas industrial might has been reduced to: making toothpicks from trees. it has not much to do with whether employees are proud of what they do, they have a right to be proud of it, but rather is this something AMERICA needs to trumpet as being proud of? how the mighty have fallen if this is indeed true but of course it is not; our greatest product these days is brainpower and the organization (some might call it exploitation) of others to do the actual work because they are willing and able to do it much cheaper. so perhaps the question should be: is making wood pellets beneath the once mighty strength and innovation of industry?

making this personal will only shine an unfavorable light, in my eyes anyway, on those attempting to divert the gaze of those critical of the situation we have worked ourselves into. we are part of a global economy, we are not THE global economy anymore. even our cars are made elsewhere or made of parts made elsewhere these days and that brings us back to the topic at hand.

edit: i just watched a PBS program, American Experience, on the Rockefeller history and legacy. One quote struck me as appropriate here and i will attempt to paraphrase it: from those to whom much is given, much is required.

Edited by jbwelda

This is much to do about nothing. It's the "General" section. In case we have all forgotten, that is a place where general information (whether it be model kit related or not) that falls within the sites guidelines can be posted. Harry simply pointed out that a car that was "born" in the United States will be assembled in the United States again. He didn't say Canada can go take a giant leap somewhere. He didn't put anyone down. He just stated a car related fact. I had a 94 Camaro, Canadian built, excellent car. But that doesn't mean that the ones manufactured here in the USA were or will be junk. And it doesn't mean Harry was bashing anyone by saying the assembly was coming back here.

This is much to do about nothing. It's the "General" section. In case we have all forgotten, that is a place where general information (whether it be model kit related or not) that falls within the sites guidelines can be posted. Harry simply pointed out that a car that was "born" in the United States will be assembled in the United States again. He didn't say Canada can go take a giant leap somewhere. He didn't put anyone down. He just stated a car related fact. I had a 94 Camaro, Canadian built, excellent car. But that doesn't mean that the ones manufactured here in the USA were or will be junk. And it doesn't mean Harry was bashing anyone by saying the assembly was coming back here.

Yes! Someone who took the post at face value, without reading all sorts of "hidden meanings" into it! Thank you, Ken.

Yet again, there are no shades of gray on the internet. "GM has announced that the next generation Camaro production will shift to Lansing, Michigan" becomes "Anything not made in America is a worthless pile of junk".

Why don't people just read what's written in a post, instead of thinking of everything that can possibly be read into it? Read the lines, not between them. <_<

>2) Is making wood pellets beneath you? You seem to have contempt for those workers? So they aren't making >battleships...does that mean that can't be proud of their work and job? Having pride in something doesn't

>necessarily equate out to it's size or (for lack of a better term) epicness.

my point was that this seems to be what americas industrial might has been reduced to: making toothpicks from trees. it has not much to do with whether employees are proud of what they do, they have a right to be proud of it, but rather is this something AMERICA needs to trumpet as being proud of? how the mighty have fallen if this is indeed true but of course it is not; our greatest product these days is brainpower and the organization (some might call it exploitation) of others to do the actual work because they are willing and able to do it much cheaper. so perhaps the question should be: is making wood pellets beneath the once mighty strength and innovation of industry?

making this personal will only shine an unfavorable light, in my eyes anyway, on those attempting to divert the gaze of those critical of the situation we have worked ourselves into. we are part of a global economy, we are not THE global economy anymore. even our cars are made elsewhere or made of parts made elsewhere these days and that brings us back to the topic at hand.

edit: i just watched a PBS program, American Experience, on the Rockefeller history and legacy. One quote struck me as appropriate here and i will attempt to paraphrase it: from those to whom much is given, much is required.

http://youtu.be/rJGHVYPG_HY

I can't find the link right now, but I read a while back that a lotof the companies that have been sending jobs to China are looking at bringing them back to the US to improve quality and response time. Seems that labor is like everything else, you get what you pay for. Also anything that they ship over there to get built gets copied and ripped off.

I can't find the link right now, but I read a while back that a lotof the companies that have been sending jobs to China are looking at bringing them back to the US to improve quality and response time. Seems that labor is like everything else, you get what you pay for. Also anything that they ship over there to get built gets copied and ripped off.

A lot is because just like what happened with Mexico years back, wages are escalating. The workers demanding more and shipping cost have climbed substantially over the years.

Makes it just about the same in the end producing it here, especially using non-union companies.

I too would like to know why Harry thinks it's good that the Camaro "will once again be built right here in the good old U.S. of A." I live in the area where these cars are built in Canada and several friends are will be losing their jobs due to the production shift. So Harry, Do you like putting Canadians out of work?

I too would like to know why Harry thinks it's good that the Camaro "will once again be built right here in the good old U.S. of A." I live in the area where these cars are built in Canada and several friends are will be losing their jobs due to the production shift. So Harry, Do you like putting Canadians out of work?

Apparently you have the magic ability to read words that aren't really there. Care to point out exactly where in my post I said anything about whether it's a good thing or a bad thing that Camaro production is moving to the states?

I wasn't making a commentary, I was posting a FACT that I read on an online news site. How you see that as me saying it's a "good thing" is beyond me.

And a lot of US autoworkers lost their jobs when the Camaro moved from Van Nuys, CA to Canada in 1993 so your point would be exactly what?

Evidently, some people don't care that this means more jobs for Americans, or don't understand that we live in a global economy. We in Tennessee are enriched for the many jobs that are provided by Nissan and VW, plus parts manufacturers like Denso, among many others. Wake up. Or maybe we should petition GM not to change anything because we're not going to like it anyway.

LOL... get serious...

Realy guys, this is getting rediculous. Harry never said anything about being happy canadians are out of work or anything like that, he just posted that an AMERICAN car is being built once again in AMERICA. What is so difficult to understand about that? This entire thing is being blown WAY out of proportion.