#1 blackace183

blackace183

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • Full Name:Nick Smart

Posted 13 February 2013 - 12:19 PM

Picked her up for 10 bucks at micheals with a 40 percent coupon. I personally love this car. Looking to go with a race/street look. Going to paint her in tamiya ts-35 (park green). Some box opening picks bellow.

image1_zps382d3c2d.jpeg

image2_zpsfc097f15.jpeg

image4_zpsde06ee21.jpeg

18648260-B298-4C05-B9E6-FF5DBD6E282A-297

#2 mr.camaro

mr.camaro

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • Full Name:Kyle Anderson

Posted 13 February 2013 - 12:31 PM

This in my opinion is the best vette kit to date. Enjoy it can't wait to see more!

#3 martinfan5

martinfan5

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,431 posts
  • Full Name:Jonathan Stephens

Posted 13 February 2013 - 01:16 PM

It is a good kit

#4 Erik Smith

Erik Smith

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,906 posts
  • Full Name:Erik Smith

Posted 13 February 2013 - 02:02 PM

It is a nice kit.

You won't need the distributor kit, though, as the LS9 has individual coils on top of the valve cover with a short wire going to the spark plug - IIRC, they are all molded in details.

HERE are some photos...

#5 blackace183

blackace183

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 05:40 PM

It is a nice kit.

You won't need the distributor kit, though, as the LS9 has individual coils on top of the valve cover with a short wire going to the spark plug - IIRC, they are all molded in details.

HERE are some photos...

Well that's no fun haha but saves time and the kit to use on another project and nice call b4 I drilled holes haha!!

#6 blackace183

blackace183

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 05:44 PM

Started progress on the block/transmission parts or part for this kit.

57CA3E3D-7752-4F9F-9EB9-9E6FAD0AEA1C-297

I've never been a fan of the crapy chrome from revell so I think semi gloss black will go nice with the green. Any thoughts??

7D5C37FC-C720-446E-8728-23EB65A2442F-297

Should be more tomorrow night.

#7 charlie8575

charlie8575

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,650 posts
  • Full Name:Charlie

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:07 PM

I think the best idea would be to soak the wheels in bleach in a closed container (shouldn't take longer than overnight, maybe a day), and then paint the rims with the buffing Aluminum Plate Metallizer (be sure to use the sealer!) which will make them look a little closer to the factory finish. If you want something a little less involved, if you have a can of Tamiya Aluminum spray paint, that will also do a nice job of replicating the non-polished rims.

As a heads-up, I think you'll find those transmissions are aluminum instead of a ferrous alloy (i.e., iron or steel), but that does look very good, and I think I'm going to use that for some of my projects I've had trouble finding a completely satisfactory color for.

If you're able to, Nick, c'mon up for MassCar's show, and if that 'Vette is done, please do bring it with you.

Charlie Larkin

#8 GoatGuy

GoatGuy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 908 posts
  • Full Name:Dave Ryberg

Posted 14 February 2013 - 01:28 AM

Not sure if this is the exact same kit that I got at Michael's, but if so, check the blower to hood clearance. I used someone else's tip and added small strips of styrene to the bottom of the blower to raise it to a more realistic level. The 1:1 car has very little room between the engine and hood window.

#9 blackace183

blackace183

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 04:42 AM

I think the best idea would be to soak the wheels in bleach in a closed container (shouldn't take longer than overnight, maybe a day), and then paint the rims with the buffing Aluminum Plate Metallizer (be sure to use the sealer!) which will make them look a little closer to the factory finish. If you want something a little less involved, if you have a can of Tamiya Aluminum spray paint, that will also do a nice job of replicating the non-polished rims.

As a heads-up, I think you'll find those transmissions are aluminum instead of a ferrous alloy (i.e., iron or steel), but that does look very good, and I think I'm going to use that for some of my projects I've had trouble finding a completely satisfactory color for.

If you're able to, Nick, c'mon up for MassCar's show, and if that 'Vette is done, please do bring it with you.

Charlie Larkin

I was in love with gun metal so I was looking for somthing custom also and I might try somthing special for the wheels like that! And I might just come up (that is if they clear snow haha).

#10 blackace183

blackace183

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 04:43 AM

Not sure if this is the exact same kit that I got at Michael's, but if so, check the blower to hood clearance. I used someone else's tip and added small strips of styrene to the bottom of the blower to raise it to a more realistic level. The 1:1 car has very little room between the engine and hood window.

Thanks for the tip I saw somthing like that on a wip I looked at before I started it.