#1 TooOld

TooOld

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,381 posts
  • Full Name:Bob Spedding

Posted 16 February 2013 - 08:20 AM

I thought I'd share a few pics of what's on my bench right now .  It's still a bit rough but I mocked it up to get a feel for what it will look like .  Hope you like it !

19_zps5c3c36e8.jpg

20_zps019ba9eb.jpg

21_zps1bd7787c.jpg

22_zps76424f60.jpg

Edited by TooOld, 15 August 2014 - 02:55 AM.

#2 Joker

Joker

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,780 posts
  • Full Name:James Scott

Posted 16 February 2013 - 09:36 AM

Got my drink and popcorn ready Bob..

popcorn-vi.gif

#3 Eshaver

Eshaver

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,870 posts
  • Full Name:Ed Shaver

Posted 16 February 2013 - 10:36 AM

Bob, that came out remarkably well ! I saw an "In Progress shot somewhere else . I could see you were really taking the time to make sure everything was ling up well an it shows too.

#4 Custom Hearse

Custom Hearse

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,932 posts
  • Full Name:Marshall Glasgow

Posted 17 February 2013 - 07:05 AM

That is nice! Definitely gotta watch this! :)

#5 TooOld

TooOld

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,381 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 10:32 AM

Thanks guys !   I'm not very good at doing a work in progress so you might want to go ahead and eat your popcorn now .

#6 Joker

Joker

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,780 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 10:48 AM

Thanks guys !   I'm not very good at doing a work in progress so you might want to go ahead and eat your popcorn now .

not Model Car Purgatory..I got a '29 Ford pickup there...

#7 TooOld

TooOld

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,381 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 11:02 AM

Nooooo !   I've owned two 60's over the years and I've always wanted to build a model of one of them ,  so this is kind of special to me .  I will definetly finish it in maybe a month or so .

#8 impcon

impcon

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts
  • Full Name:Gary Cook

Posted 19 February 2013 - 03:00 AM

Looking good! I am doing one of these right now myself - or attempting to do it. *sighs* Mine is a real mess but it is slowly coming along. I have parts on order from The Modelhaus and have already received some materials for the build, but I am having a heck of a time getting the paint - or what ever it is that someone put on the little car - off. It's coming along though.

i wanted to ask you if you are using a R/M '60 Impala hood on yours and if so, how was the fit once you cut your original hood out? My hood and cowl cover are cracked and I had figured on using an Impala hod to replace my broken one.

#9 TooOld

TooOld

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,381 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 04:11 AM

Just out of curiosity what did you order from Modelhaus ?  I didn't know they had any parts for this .

I guess I should explain that this isn't a resin kit ,  I mated the top from the AMT '59 El Camino to a Revell '60 Impala .  It actually worked pretty good .  I spent a lot of time filling and sanding to make the tailgate and taillight panel correct .

Here's a few photos .

1_zps134a5c2a.jpg

2_zps08bd8a1f.jpg

3_zps9e7ead05.jpg

4_zps005c259b.jpg

7_zpsedbf830c.jpg

9_zps27491e66.jpg

12_zpsf04d5ce6.jpg

#10 Davewilly

Davewilly

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,795 posts
  • Full Name:Dave Wilmore

Posted 19 February 2013 - 09:17 AM

thats  awesome!

#11 impcon

impcon

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts
  • Full Name:Gary Cook

Posted 20 February 2013 - 06:31 AM

Sorry to take so long to respond but my life gets pretty complicated some days and the last few are no exception. My El Camino is an old styrene annual that has seen too many paint hobs and just fell into the wrong hands real early in it's life. I am still trying to get the paint off of it but the process is nearly completed. It needs a ton of work to be anything even close to decent but then to me, that's the fun of this hobby. I enjoy bringing something back to life - not just plastic models but real life 1:1 things including vehicles. I love old things and while I have other projects sitting waiting and half finished, this El Camino was too much to resist.

The Modelhause has about everything that you could want in pieces for these cars, right down to the tail lights. Ii ordered grille, bumpers, front splash pan, and a dash board as mine was incomplete and missing these parts plus the glass, axles, wheels and tires. The photo etch detail set arrived last week and is sitting in a drawer awaiting being used.  

It's likely that I'll use a '59 El Camino chassis rather than the original but that depends on how it looks once the paint is all off of it. If it looks pretty tacky, I'll just put it back together in it's original configuration and detail it as best I can. I have another original built up that I have had for a few years now and it is in MUCH better condition than this one, so maybe I'll really put my efforts into that one. If I do the blending of the three kits ( the original, an AMT '59 El Camino and a R?M '60 Impala, then I will do a couple of other things to make the model more unique yet still as close to a factory stock vehicle as I can make it.

Your work is an inspiration and while the '59 Chevy is by far my preference over any other car, I like this kit simply because it still retains somewhat of a resemblance to the '59, plus you just do not see them often - especially in stock form. I am a bit unsure of what colour I will paint it but I am leaning towards turquoise with a white roof to burgundy or white. I have a long ways to go yet before I am ready for paint and I have a fair bit of time to make my choice. I hope that you keep updating with progress pictures as I for one, would really enjoy seeing them. Your workmanship appears to be pretty impressive and this build shows a lot of promise. Hang in there and keep on with the project. By the way - what colour do you have in mind for yours?

#12 TooOld

TooOld

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,381 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:26 AM

No problem Gary ,  I'm just getting back here too !

To answer your question about the hood ,  I'll use what parts I have and let you decide .  The Revell Impala body is about 1/16" wider than the AMT bodies ,  but the hood is about 1/16" narrower !  It actually fits the AMT body pretty good , a little sanding along the cowl and add a strip to both sides and it would fit perfect !  It should work for you just fine .

I'm sending you a PM .  Good luck on you project !

#13 TooOld

TooOld

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,381 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:43 AM

I've made a little progress the last couple of days .

I 've got the interior pieces fitted and fabricated a hood hinge .  I also painted the tires , they are really nice !  Thank you Joseph at Fireball Modelworks .

I need to clean up the center caps on the wheels ,  got a little bit too much paint on them !

28_zps6c38d154.jpg

31_zps92d42421.jpg

32_zpsb119075e.jpg

30_zps595d8d8e.jpg

#14 Duntov

Duntov

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,260 posts
  • Full Name:Bill Lucianno

"Mi sono perso"

Posted 20 February 2013 - 04:56 PM

Some seriously nice work here!!!

#15 TooOld

TooOld

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,381 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 02:57 AM

Thanks Derick and thank you Bill !

#16 Davewilly

Davewilly

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,795 posts
  • Full Name:Dave Wilmore

Posted 22 February 2013 - 07:51 AM

Love the cragars!

#17 TooOld

TooOld

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,381 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 09:29 AM

Thanks Dave ,  so do I  !

I've about finished the mods on the chassis and made up a new fuel tank using the one I cut from the AMT kit .  Everything seems to fit okay ,  I'll add some tank straps after paint .

I also narrowed the track simply by opening up the backing plates and sliding them in on the axle ( I'll cut the ends off later ) .  This narrowed it by 3/16" total !

43_zps8ac1b8ca.jpg

44_zps654a2fa8.jpg

#18 TooOld

TooOld

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,381 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 02:43 PM

I managed to get the chassis painted over the weekend .  I'm thinking about adding a little weathering and dirt to it .  What do you think ?

46_zps8affd289.jpg

47_zps76d04c16.jpg

#19 Joker

Joker

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,780 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 03:06 PM

Rubber lined hose clamps !  You're killing the details...hahahaha

Great update pics Bob..thanks

On a side note..I saw two 60 El Caminos at a show and the vendor

wanted 30 bucks for each..like Wow..he wouldn't budge on the price.

#20 Eshaver

Eshaver

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,870 posts
  • Full Name:Ed Shaver

Posted 25 February 2013 - 03:35 PM

James, you didn't add the fact that there was a good five coats of Green enamel brushed onto one of those so called Meusuiem pieces that guy had too !