#1 Draggon

Draggon

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,877 posts
  • Full Name:Glenn Asher

Posted 23 February 2013 - 01:31 PM

The wreck today reminded me too much of Bodine's career ending wreck in the truck series back in 2000. Even before DW called it, thats what I was thinking. The last 15 laps were pretty exciting, well, until the last lap. Aparrently the 32 cars wheel went 9 levels into the stands.

#2 Roadracer

Roadracer

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts
  • Full Name:David Jones

Posted 23 February 2013 - 01:39 PM

Yes....I agree!  It sounds like everybody will survive.....so far! Fingers crossed!

#3 pa3de8

pa3de8

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts
  • Full Name:Scott Banzaca

Posted 23 February 2013 - 01:43 PM

Wheels and suspension went in from what I was seeing...that was close.

Edited by pa3de8, 23 February 2013 - 01:59 PM.

#4 bbowser

bbowser

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,404 posts
  • Full Name:Bruce Bowser

Posted 23 February 2013 - 02:18 PM

Engine sitting on top of the wall, tire 9 rows up, WOW. I've read from 4 to 6 injured spectators, some serious. It was a pretty good race until the last lap. I don't know if 'green-white-checker' is a great idea at the plate tracks. Several of the drivers they interviewed said the wreck was on and they just kept their foot in it.

#5 Draggon

Draggon

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,877 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 02:21 PM

Just now Fox reported 28 injured. Thats NOT racing. 

#6 Guest_Johnny_*

Guest_Johnny_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 February 2013 - 02:58 PM

Restricter plate racing at it's worst combined with a very prevalent  "I'll do anything it takes to win" attitude that too many drivers now have.

Wouldn't be surprised to see the heads of Nascar sitting before Congress soon.

#7 Custom Hearse

Custom Hearse

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,988 posts
  • Full Name:Marshall Glasgow

Posted 23 February 2013 - 03:23 PM

http://sports.yahoo....cnlwYWdl;_ylv=3

#8 MAGNUM4342

MAGNUM4342

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts
  • Full Name:Kevin White

Posted 23 February 2013 - 03:38 PM

That's the first time I ever saw a car just shatter like that! I said it before and i'll say it again, these new cars are going kill somebody. Now it looks as though they'll kill alot of somebodies. Probably why my folks always got tickets at the top of Weatherly tower.

#9 JFortner5

JFortner5

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Full Name:Joey Fortner

Posted 23 February 2013 - 04:06 PM

I don't think it's just the new cars.  Bobby Allison at Talladega in 1987, Geoff Bodine at Daytona in 2000, Carl Edwards at Talladega in 2009.  I'm sure I'm leaving some out.  It is scary but I'm not sure there is really anything that can be done about it.  The only thing that would help in my opinion is to get rid of the lower level seats and have them all raised up.  The speeds they run make it exciting in my opinion, I don't think it would make much difference whether they run 170mph or 200mph.  That's just my opinion and I'm no engineer but it seems like once your over a certain speed 20-30mph doesn't mean much.

I really hope all of the fans survive and make full recoveries.  And thank god no drivers were hurt.  

Just my $.02.   

#10 Rob McKee

Rob McKee

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 846 posts
  • Full Name:Rob McKee

Posted 23 February 2013 - 04:16 PM

Wow, that really was a spetacular accident.

My thoughts go out to the fans who were injured.

#11 Junkman

Junkman

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,320 posts
  • Full Name:Christian Pamp

Posted 23 February 2013 - 04:22 PM

That looks expensive.

#12 Draggon

Draggon

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,877 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 04:26 PM

Posted in the NASCAR section. This so really sucks. Restrictor plate racing at its finest. I hope that France gets his head about him, and realizes that a one thousandth  second lead at the finish line might look cool, but it just might not be all that safe.

#13 slusher

slusher

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,938 posts
  • Full Name:carl slusher

Posted 23 February 2013 - 04:39 PM

They need to get rid of the restrictor plate and let them race...

Edited by slusher, 23 February 2013 - 04:39 PM.

#14 JunkPile

JunkPile

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 993 posts
  • Full Name:Chuck Saxton

Posted 23 February 2013 - 04:39 PM

Nobody ever said that racing is safe.  Spectators have always been at risk in motorsports also.

#15 niteowl7710

niteowl7710

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,704 posts
  • Full Name:Doing the grunt work so the U.S. Postal Service can deliver your mail.

Posted 23 February 2013 - 04:41 PM

I don't know what the solution would be other than require smaller unrestricted engines or stop having events at Daytona & Talladega altogether. Letting them run wide open isn't an option considering the fact Elliot was breaking 210 twenty-six years ago. They might not be in packs, but I can't see where cars going 220+ is a better situation.

#16 Harry P.

Harry P.

MCM Ohana

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,663 posts
  • Full Name:A mere layman...

Posted 23 February 2013 - 04:43 PM

They need to get rid of the restrictor plate and let them race...

What does that have to do with anything?

The guy tried to make a move, and we saw the result. It can happen in any auto race when there are cars on the track jockeying for position. What in the world does the engine technology have to do with it?

#17 martinfan5

martinfan5

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,367 posts
  • Full Name:Jonathan Stephens

Posted 23 February 2013 - 04:46 PM

Restricter plate racing at it's worst combined with a very prevalent  "I'll do anything it takes to win" attitude that too many drivers now have.

Wouldn't be surprised to see the heads of Nascar sitting before Congress soon.

Johnny, dont take what I am saying as trying to start an argument, I am not,  thats what race car drivers do, thats the point of racing for the win,  todays events was the perfect strom,  everything was lined up just right for this to happen.  NASCAR heads wont be in front of congress.

The catch fence did its job to a point,  but like I said, everything lined up just right for the car to find the one week spot in the fence ,  everything that NASCAR and DIS has in place for safety did its job, but it was beuase it was a freak accident, that those saftey messaure were able to fail to a point.  I will expain

One,  all NASCAR race cars have hood/trunk tethers as well as tehters that hold the front susepnison peices on the frame,to keep those parts from flying off, but when you have the entire front frame piece ripped of from the rest of the frame, thats not something that happens all the time

Two,  the part of the catch fence where the front part of the chassis, and tire got thru was the at the cross over gate,  that is where there is an opening for the grandstands to get on to the track,  the race car hit one of the catch fence poles, bent it, and at the same time, that is what ripped the entire front part of the frame off, and also ripping the catch fence open, thus allowing parts of the race car to go in the stands.

THat all does not matter, what matters right now , is the fans that were injured, and out thoughts and prayers should be with them and their family's right now, there is plenty of time to go back and pick apart what happen.   NASCAR and DIS will be looking into this, and what can be done to prevent this from happing

But this is a case of, cant fix or change or make something better in tell something bad happens, now we know there is a weakness at that spot on the fence

#18 JFortner5

JFortner5

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Full Name:Joey Fortner

Posted 23 February 2013 - 05:00 PM

Nobody ever said that racing is safe.  Spectators have always been at risk in motorsports also.

X2. I think it's just become so rare that people forget that things like this happen. It's just kind of taken for granted but when cars are racing at 200mph 20ft away it's just a matter of time. I think the people who line the streets to watch rally racing are crazy. That is something I wouldn't do. Even after today, I'd go sit in those seats at Daytona tomorrow. I think if its your time than you have no control. It's just a risk you take going to these things. I hate to be so dark and gloomy but you could die in a wreck on the way to watch a race. Probably have a much greater chance of that than getting hit by a piece of a car.

I remember when I was a kid I saw a man die of a heart attack at talladega. My dad had CPR and tried to save him but he was already gone.

Not to take anything away from what happened but I guess my point is it doesn't matter what they change or try to do. Something will still happen and somebody will still get hurt.

Edited by JFortner5, 23 February 2013 - 05:04 PM.

#19 martinfan5

martinfan5

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,367 posts
  • Full Name:Jonathan Stephens

Posted 23 February 2013 - 05:21 PM

Here are pictures of the aftermath, there are pics that show some of the injured fans and some blood on the steps/seats

http://www.gettyimag...lProduct=Sport#

Edited by martinfan5, 23 February 2013 - 05:22 PM.

#20 Draggon

Draggon

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,877 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 05:34 PM

Other than the fire, nothing has changed in 13 years. Geoff Bodine, Daytona 2000, front end blown off just like Kyle Larson today. The only good thing is Kyle walked away. Bodine was not so lucky, and never raced competitively again.

flo-CRASH.jpg

Edited by Draggon, 23 February 2013 - 05:39 PM.