#41 cavespeedway

cavespeedway

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Full Name:Rick Williamson

Posted 24 February 2013 - 03:35 AM

oops,my bad,   abig my bad.  this was not a gwc with xtra laps added. when the track went red i was so p----d i turned to basketball an came back just as the race restarted. but my point is the red flag  should never have been thrown .track wasn't blocked  track wasn't damaged and nobody was hurt.if this wreck had been on lap 20 i don't think it would have gone red.

#42 2002p51

2002p51

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 705 posts
  • Full Name:Drew

Posted 24 February 2013 - 03:42 AM

The main reason they threw the red flag was because there were so few laps left. They were trying to save the finish of the race so there wouldn't need to be a green-white-checkered finish. That's the usual procedure with less than ten laps to go.

#43 kalbert

kalbert

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts
  • Full Name:Kyle Kurth

Posted 24 February 2013 - 05:53 AM

The only way to "prevent" stuff like this is to not do it. I feel for the fans and drivers that got hurt, but they all knew the risk of sitting that close and going that fast. Stuff like this is rare, but it does happen. You can't predict it, control it, or prevent it. Everyone can't protected from every possible risk all the time, especially when doing risky things like having 50 yard line seats at a super speedway. No matter how fast the cars are, how tall the fence is, how high up the seats are, there's always a chance something bad will happen.

Rare that a Days of Thunder quote is relevant to anything, but this one is spot on... 

#44 2002p51

2002p51

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 705 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 06:46 AM

The only way to "prevent" stuff like this is to not do it.

Exactly. And nobody wants that!

Edited by 2002p51, 24 February 2013 - 06:46 AM.

#45 JMD904

JMD904

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • Full Name:Justin Dampier

Posted 24 February 2013 - 07:31 AM

Worst wreck I've seen in years! Can't the car's front end got snatched off like that! To bad ya can't walk the engine out of there!

#46 Psychographic

Psychographic

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 934 posts
  • Full Name:David Gilmour

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:05 AM

#47 kalbert

kalbert

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:36 AM

Again... Accidents happen, and every one is different, that's just how it is. You just can not ever predict every possible scenario and prevent it. You do the best you can to find middle ground between safe and fun and go with it. No one could have predicted the circumstances that lead to this event, and no amount of planning could have prevented it, short of not having a race at all.

Hindsight is always 20/20. I'm sure the company that installed the fence will be on the hook, along with nascar, the folks that poured the concrete wall, the folks that installed seats that close, the folks that paved the track that would allow a car to lose grip, Good Year tires that loose grip, the company that built the frame of the car, Pepsi Cola for providing the fan a refreshment that they were drinking instead of watching the race and getting the hell out of the way... Where do you stop? Do you go after the guy who sold the gasoline to power the car the fan drove to the race since without the gas the fan would not have been there? How about the fan's employer who paid them a week's salary, which allowed them to buy a ticket?

Edited by kalbert, 25 February 2013 - 11:37 AM.

#48 2002p51

2002p51

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 705 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:56 AM

Hindsight is always 20/20. I'm sure the company that installed the fence will be on the hook, along with nascar, the folks that poured the concrete wall, the folks that installed seats that close, the folks that paved the track that would allow a car to lose grip, Good Year tires that loose grip, the company that built the frame of the car, Pepsi Cola for providing the fan a refreshment that they were drinking instead of watching the race and getting the hell out of the way... Where do you stop? Do you go after the guy who sold the gasoline to power the car the fan drove to the race since without the gas the fan would not have been there? How about the fan's employer who paid them a week's salary, which allowed them to buy a ticket?

Actually, I wouldn't worry about anybody being "on the hook". Oh sure, somebody may try to sue but there's fine print on the back of every ticket that essentially says;

"Hey, this is a dangerous sport and sometimes this stuff gets out of hand and you just might get whacked upside the head with something sharp and/or hot. The fact that you willingly bought this ticket means that you knew you could get clocked and you made the choice to be here anyway. So suck it up Sparky!"

:)

Okay, I'm not a lawyer and I never played one on TV and I'm being just a tiny bit flippant but, although the fine print on the back of the ticket is written in a lot more legally binding way than what I just wrote, it's there and it's been challenged in court before and it has always stood the test.

#49 kalbert

kalbert

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 12:38 PM

Okay, I'm not a lawyer and I never played one on TV and I'm being just a tiny bit flippant but, although the fine print on the back of the ticket is written in a lot more legally binding way than what I just wrote, it's there and it's been challenged in court before and it has always stood the test.

That's just the thing... A disclaimer on the ticket might protect NASCAR if they are sued, but it can't protect them from being sued, and it doesn't cover everybody who might be found "at fault". The case would still go to court and waste time and money, even if the ultimate decision is "The fan knew what they were getting into, and NASCAR stated clearly they were not responsible".

#50 martinfan5

martinfan5

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,098 posts
  • Full Name:Jonathan Stephens

Posted 25 February 2013 - 12:41 PM

The main that everyone is over looking, is no one died , and that really is whats important here,   NASCAR and DIS are going to be looking at ways to improve the catch fence so something like does not ever happen again,

#51 2002p51

2002p51

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 705 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 01:15 PM

That's just the thing... A disclaimer on the ticket might protect NASCAR if they are sued, but it can't protect them from being sued, and it doesn't cover everybody who might be found "at fault". The case would still go to court and waste time and money, even if the ultimate decision is "The fan knew what they were getting into, and NASCAR stated clearly they were not responsible".

Well, that's absolutely true. The promoter of a short track that I worked at many years ago told me how often he was sued. When I asked what about the release that everybody in the pits signs he told me sure, but I still have to pay my attorney to carry that release into court and show it to the judge to get the case thrown out.

#52 Guest_Johnny_*

Guest_Johnny_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:02 AM

As my family lawyer says, "the waiver on the back of an event ticket is there in hopes of convincing the holder not to sue. "

But it has been shown in case after case in the end it is almost worthless except to maybe lessen their degree of liability. It will usually be used to get the party to settle out of court(which is usually what the lawyers want)  but still rarely will it keep a case out of court if pursued that far and rarely will it get the track or what ever venue off the hook with a jury who as we all know tend to award the plaintiff what they personally would like to get as a settlement!

#53 hooterville75

hooterville75

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts
  • Full Name:Deron Shank

Posted 26 February 2013 - 05:53 PM

Nobody ever said that racing is safe.  Spectators have always been at risk in motorsports also.

AJ Allminflinger said it best.  We as race car drivers realize the dangers that come with racing and are willing to risk it all to go fast for a win.  Its something us race car drivers should have to deal with not the race fans.  I was just so happy to see that when all the drivers were interviewed, not one of them clean down to including the young Dillon boy put the fans first saying how they hoped everyone of them were ok.