Pick Up

1211sr-10-z+1941-willys-pickup+.jpg

#22 Brett Barrow

Brett Barrow

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,267 posts
  • Full Name:Genius billionaire playboy philanthropist Brett M. Barrow, Esq.

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:04 AM

Now this one I could buy. mainly for the slicks, but a lot more parts and pieces I can use. Am I reading this right, this kit has a flip ft end ?

ps, whats the difference between a 1940 and a 1941 ?

Yes, I believe it does have a flip front end.  As for the difference between a 40 and 41, there's not much if we're talking gassers, especially ones with fiberglass front ends.  40's had a split grille, but most fiberglass front ends usually are cut to resemble 41 grilles. 

#23 Brett Barrow

Brett Barrow

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,267 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:18 AM

Really ?

What do pictures of real cars* have to do with models?  Yes, the AMT 40 Willys is a 2'n1 kit, coupe OR pickup.  It's been that way since the 2nd issue (first issue as a stand alone kit, IIRC) .

*The real deals were built on a common platform (known as the "Americar" after '41) which was in production from 1937 to 1942.  Ford had just started making their first pickup not based on a passenger car in 1937, so the Willys was like most other pickups of the time, based on a passenger car. 

#24 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,015 posts
  • Full Name:Casey Littmann

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:00 AM

2013 must be a banner year for Willys models, as Revell has the new tool Street Rod already out, the K.S. Pittman modern-tool gasser version in the current lineup, and the old-tool '41 pickup about to be reissued.

#25 Brett Barrow

Brett Barrow

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,267 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:23 AM

2013 must be a banner year for Willys models, as Revell has the new tool Street Rod already out, the K.S. Pittman modern-tool gasser version in the current lineup, and the old-tool '41 pickup about to be reissued.

And don't forget the resto-reissue of the AMT Ohio George 33 Willys. 

A reissue of the AMT 33 Willys panel van with decals for the "Dogcatcher" gasser it was based on would be cool, since they used the Dogcatcher for the body measurements, but never issued it with Dogcatcher decals. 

#26 Greg Myers

Greg Myers

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,676 posts
  • Full Name:Gregory Myers

Posted 28 February 2013 - 01:34 PM

What do pictures of real cars* have to do with models?  Yes, the AMT 40 Willys is a 2'n1 kit, coupe OR pickup.  It's been that way since the 2nd issue (first issue as a stand alone kit, IIRC) .

*The real deals were built on a common platform (known as the "Americar" after '41) which was in production from 1937 to 1942.  Ford had just started making their first pickup not based on a passenger car in 1937, so the Willys was like most other pickups of the time, based on a passenger car. 

First issue was a double kit.de3c_9b12.jpg?c=d935

#27 Brett Barrow

Brett Barrow

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,267 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 03:21 PM

First issue was a double kit.

Yes, it was. They added a pickup cab, interior tub, and parts for the pickup bed when they issued it as a standalone kit. Not every issue has had both options, some have been one or the other, but there's only about 10 parts that were added to make the pickup. They never changed the chassis, the builder has to trim the rear wheel wells off to build the pickup.

#28 Tom Geiger

Tom Geiger

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,327 posts
  • Full Name:Tom Geiger

Posted 28 February 2013 - 03:43 PM

My favorite build of that kit was a bone stock US Navy pickup that someone did and it made it into the magazines. Probably 20 years ago. Anyone remember? I especially appreciated the stock build since history has gotten a bit distorted and people think they came with hemis and slicks on them!

#29 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,015 posts
  • Full Name:Casey Littmann

Posted 28 February 2013 - 04:07 PM

My favorite build of that kit was a bone stock US Navy pickup that someone did and it made it into the magazines. Probably 20 years ago. Anyone remember?

From the Revell '41/'43 Willys Pickup Kit Review topic:

I like the California Lace but it's way out of scale. They were built for the armed forces in '43. Dean Milano did a stock one in U.S. Navy trim back in the '90's.

#30 Greg Myers

Greg Myers

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,676 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 05:56 PM

Yes, it was. They added a pickup cab, interior tub, and parts for the pickup bed when they issued it as a standalone kit. Not every issue has had both options, some have been one or the other, but there's only about 10 parts that were added to make the pickup. They never changed the chassis, the builder has to trim the rear wheel wells off to build the pickup.

None the less, two different versions. One a coupe, one a pick up. Two , Two , Two kits in one. Give it up

product.jpg

Edited by Greg Myers, 28 February 2013 - 05:57 PM.

#31 jbwelda

jbwelda

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,768 posts
  • Full Name:William Just

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:00 PM

i like the looks of this one:

1211sr-10-z+1941-willys-pickup+.jpg

#32 midnightprowler

midnightprowler

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,844 posts
  • Full Name:Lee

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:40 PM

None the less, two different versions. One a coupe, one a pick up. Two , Two , Two kits in one. Give it up

But it's not 2 kits in one, just 2 versions.  There are not chassis parts for building 2 kits.

#33 Greg Myers

Greg Myers

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,676 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 05:02 AM

You are correct, two "versions", of the "Willys", my point exactly. Thank you.

Edited by Greg Myers, 01 March 2013 - 05:04 AM.

#34 Brett Barrow

Brett Barrow

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,267 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 05:08 AM

Ok, I'll give it up, whatever "it" is.  Just trying to educate the folks about a classic model car kit.  No biggie, you wanna win on semantics, go ahead, I'm very anti-semantic, I'll admit it. 10,000 internets to you, good sir, and congratulations on being King of the Interwebs for today!!!  

But I'll just leave this here before I go...940_Willys_Mean_Machine_Page_1-vi.jpg940_Willys_Mean_Machine_Page_2-vi.jpg

940_Willys_Mean_Machine_Page_3-vi.jpg940_Willys_Mean_Machine_Page_4-vi.jpg

#35 Greg Myers

Greg Myers

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,676 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 05:24 AM

This whole thread is about educating the "Folks" as you put it. I was just pointing out the different "versions" of the Willys that were being discussed available to the "Folks".

Versions, kits, reissues, your interpretation, can all be quite confusing. Thus my attempt at clearing the air , so to speak, with a short list of the "versions" that we were talking about,

As happens in many of these threads the "Folks" tend to get confused with the myriad of "versions" of kits available.Your insistence that a coupe and a pick up are the same is baffling.

And, Yes, you sir, are correct in that the two body styles, "versions", are in the same box (kit). Good day. :wacko:

#36 Brett Barrow

Brett Barrow

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,267 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 06:00 AM

Yes, me insisting that a coupe and a pickup could come from the same kit, the actual kit that this thread was started to discuss is baffling, but bringing up all the Revell kits of similar subjects is not muddying the waters of the discussion as it concerns this particular AMT reissue, the subject of this particular thread?   

I apologize for baffling the folks with facts about a kit's origins.  I swear I'll never let it happen again.  

I woke up this morning believing in a world where there were only 4 distinctively different 40-41 Willys gasser kits, but now I realize there are actually 5.  You have turned my world upside down and shaken me to my core beliefs. How shall I go on now with life, knowing that all I hold dear is just a cheap facade???...    

#37 Eshaver

Eshaver

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,870 posts
  • Full Name:Ed Shaver

Posted 01 March 2013 - 11:43 AM

41Wyllisoutsideshowstirebeader.jpg

This is a Revell Wyllis Americoupe kit bashed into a stocker

#38 iBorg

iBorg

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 815 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 12:15 PM

My two cents.... On this one I feel a bit of an expert. Both the Revell Willys coupes are better than the AMT coupe. The AMT flip front end is nice but pretty inaccurate. Some gassers may have had this design but they were few and far between. Most had the full fenders flip forward.

As for the pickups, the AMT isn't great but the better choice. The Revell kit looks funky. Maybe a so-so fiberglass replica of a steel Willys. The AMT Willys Coupe/pickup share the same chassis and engine. The Revell kit has the gasser chassis shared with the Henry J and the Austin. The engine and chassis of the Revell kit is fairly useless although there is a hidden front axle in the parts that has GREAT potential (I'm always on the look out for them). The AMT chassis and engine is far superior when comparing pick-up to pick-up.

If you really want to make a nice Willys pick-up, merge the AMT pickup's back half with the front part of the new Revell coupe body. Mount this on the later Revell chassis. The bed can come from either the AMT or the Revell pick up chassis. Its a lot of kitbashing but its a nice result.

#39 jbwelda

jbwelda

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,768 posts
  • Full Name:William Just

Posted 01 March 2013 - 05:12 PM

>How shall I go on now with life, knowing that all I hold dear is just a cheap facade???...

well,  you could build a model.

#40 Chuck Kourouklis

Chuck Kourouklis

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 06:11 PM

Of course, the point could be made that AMT's coupe/pickup, at about 85% commonality, are much more the "same" kit than Revell's new-tool '41s, which share around 30%.  So maybe the answer's not so clear-cut either way.

But check out the big brain on Mike!  Thanks for contributing something of value, man - you merged all the elements into what sounds like the best possible combo for a good-looking pickup.  B)