• You cannot reply to this topic
83 replies to this topic

#61 Brett Barrow

Brett Barrow

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,267 posts
  • Full Name:Genius billionaire playboy philanthropist Brett M. Barrow, Esq.

Posted 04 March 2013 - 12:13 PM

Yup, 37-42 Willyses are all based on the same basic shell. 

And I just happened to find this nugget a few minutes ago - an article on building a stock '41 Willys...

http://www.internetm...os/americar.php

#62 Gluhead

Gluhead

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts
  • Full Name:It really is Gluhead

Posted 04 March 2013 - 04:47 PM

One of these days I'd love to bash together a stock~ish pickup.

By the way, I believe that "Gasser Masher" in the background of the new boxart was built by the guy who owns Chrome-Tech USA. Neat to see it on the box.

#63 Craig Irwin

Craig Irwin

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,793 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 05:15 PM

R&R resin does the 37 and 39 Willys, both coupes and sedans, and the correct stock engine is in the Hogans Heros WW2 Jeep kit. Ray also cast a 37 pick up and a 41 4 door sedan and a phantom sedan delivery.

So whos going to be the first to build a stock one?

Edited by Craig Irwin, 04 March 2013 - 05:21 PM.

#64 Greg Myers

Greg Myers

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,637 posts
  • Full Name:Gregory Myers

Posted 05 March 2013 - 05:02 AM

Willys Aero Ace 1952 Willys-aero-coupe.png

#65 Jimmy Wilson

Jimmy Wilson

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • Full Name:Jimmy Wilson

Posted 09 October 2013 - 01:53 PM

I just opened up my kit, and there were no decals ! Has anyone else had this problem, or am I just lucky ?

I haven't opened the bags yet, but everything else looks good. It was an E-Bay purchase so I am going have to go through Round 2

I guess to get the missing decals.

Jimmy

Edited by Jimmy Wilson, 09 October 2013 - 01:54 PM.

#66 Karl LaFong

Karl LaFong

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • Full Name:Keith Jones

Posted 09 October 2013 - 03:06 PM

Jimmy,

I thought the same thing when I opened up my kit.  Check underneath the cardboard mini model box - they could be hiding there!

#67 Jimmy Wilson

Jimmy Wilson

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • Full Name:Jimmy Wilson

Posted 09 October 2013 - 08:16 PM

Jimmy,

I thought the same thing when I opened up my kit.  Check underneath the cardboard mini model box - they could be hiding there!

Boy do I feel stupid....Thanks for the suggestion. They were under there. I didn't even realize there was the mini model box was down there.

Edited by Jimmy Wilson, 09 October 2013 - 08:19 PM.

#68 Chris in Berwyn

Chris in Berwyn

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts
  • Full Name:Chris Williams

Posted 17 October 2013 - 04:40 PM

So i picked up my kit and am very happy with it.  I am looking at the newly tooled Halibrands for the slicks and looking at the wheels on the normal chrome tree.  The differences between the new and old wheels are almost invisible to me.  What was the big deal about the new Halibrands??

On a related note, the full tree seems to have four deep dish wheels, and no front wheels?  What was the story with that?  How did you build this kit with four deep dish wheels?

Lastly, my newly tooled front wheels have a satin finish, while the rears are shiny chrome.  Wonder if that is intentional or not?

Looking fwd to building this!

Chris

#69 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,975 posts
  • Full Name:Casey Littmann

Posted 17 October 2013 - 04:48 PM

On a related note, the full tree seems to have four deep dish wheels, and no front wheels?  What was the story with that?  How did you build this kit with four deep dish wheels?

The wheel were probably re-tooled and widened to fit the Goodyear Rally GT tires AMT seems to have been enamored with in the late '70s-mid '80s, as seen on this '80s issue of the kit:

a0842e55-4899-4824-a9f1-a110eae75cc3.jpg

Are the rear Halibrand wheels the same wheels from the recently reissued Ohio George '33 Willys kit, like so?:

20130119_185712.jpg

#70 Chris in Berwyn

Chris in Berwyn

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 02:42 AM

Yes, the rears are the same as the Ohio George Willys, and pretty darn similar to the wheels already on the tree.

The pic you posted explains what the four deep dish wheels are doing on the tree!

#71 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 03:38 AM

Yes, the rears are the same as the Ohio George Willys, and pretty darn similar to the wheels already on the tree.

I'm not totally sure, but the wheels on the '80s Willys box art look like the Ansen 5-slots AMT included in many AMT kits of the period, especially with that tall center cap. That probably explains why they included the updated rear drag 5-slots sans any center cap detail.

#72 Chris in Berwyn

Chris in Berwyn

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 11:44 AM

I'm not totally sure, but the wheels on the '80s Willys box art look like the Ansen 5-slots AMT included in many AMT kits of the period, especially with that tall center cap.

Yes, the wheels on the tree have the tall center cap.   Carl, I will post a pic of the decal sheet.  

#73 rasafyff

rasafyff

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • Full Name:Raymond Glen Campbell

Posted 18 October 2013 - 02:39 PM

I have the cartoon box kit T242-200 in my collection that includes the 32 Ford sedan.The 32 is not mentioned anywhere on the box.The artwork on the instruction sheet matches the artwork on the box top.It has the Horsepower Heaven,Hemi Hunter,Gas Man decal sheet dated 2-68.The other numbers on the decal sheet are 8139 and 100-786.The kit is molded in white.

I was wondering if anyone else has this kit. I never heard anyone mention the 32 Ford being included in this kit.

#74 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 04:10 PM

I have the cartoon box kit T242-200 in my collection that includes the 32 Ford sedan.The 32 is not mentioned anywhere on the box

What color is the plastic? I believe the original '40 Willys/'32 Ford Sedan kit was molded in yellow, like so:

$T2eC16ZHJGUFFh)rg8GkBSK1sVMLEg~~60_3.JP

I don't think the two models were ever reissued together, so maybe the color your kits are molded in will be a clue as to where  and when they originated.

#75 rasafyff

rasafyff

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 04:46 PM

My kit is molded in white.

I have the three of the oringal issue kits.Two are molded in yellow and the other is molded in white.

I have seen the original issues molded in red and light blue on eBay.

I think my cartoon box kit is factory correct since the instruction sheet matches the box.One side of the sheet has the Willys.The other has the 32 Ford.

#76 Mark

Mark

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 05:09 PM

I have the cartoon box kit T242-200 in my collection that includes the 32 Ford sedan.The 32 is not mentioned anywhere on the box.The artwork on the instruction sheet matches the artwork on the box top.It has the Horsepower Heaven,Hemi Hunter,Gas Man decal sheet dated 2-68.The other numbers on the decal sheet are 8139 and 100-786.The kit is molded in white.

I was wondering if anyone else has this kit. I never heard anyone mention the 32 Ford being included in this kit.

I have this issue also, only mine has the pickup option and not the '32 Ford.  The decal sheet in mine is coded 1-69.  This issue was produced both ways; I have seen both.  All of the ones I have seen in this box were molded in white.  With sealed kits, the only way to tell if you have one with the '32 (early) or the pickup option (late) would be to weigh it (the one with the '32 would presumably be heavier, with more plastic and twice as many tires).  No mention of either the '32 or the pickup on the box would point to AMT knowing that the change would be made at some point.  I'm reasonably certain that the removal of the '32 sedan and the addition of the pickup parts was done as a permanent change at the time, without the thought of switching back and forth.  The cartoon box Gasser series issue (T-242, $2.00) and the first issue with the pickup option (T-311, $2.00) both appear in the 1969 and 1970 AMT catalogs.  The 1969 catalog does not include descriptions of either kit.  The 1970 catalog description of the T-242 issue mentions only the coupe, while the T-311 description mentions the pickup.  For 1971, the T-311 reappeared (with a list price of $2.25) but the T-242 does not.  The T-311 (first pickup issue) box art is the one copied by Round 2 for the current issue.

Earlier issues (two, prior to the early production T-242 kits) of the Willys coupe/'32 Ford sedan double kit were molded in (mostly) yellow, but also appeared in red, light blue, and white.  The custom version of the Ford was never issued by itself, but its body shell was combined with the phaeton kit (itself based on the Victoria) to create a stock/street rod sedan kit around 1975.  Only the body and windows (and possibly the windshield frame) from the old custom version were used.  The sedan was only issued once in that form.    

#77 Greg Myers

Greg Myers

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,637 posts
  • Full Name:Gregory Myers

Posted 18 October 2013 - 05:22 PM

Mine was light blue  ^_^

#78 Chris in Berwyn

Chris in Berwyn

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 01:59 AM

A pic of the decal sheet from the brand new release should be attached. This is the first time I have tried doing it from my droid phone, so if it does not work I'll do it from my Pc later. Chris

Attached Files

Edited by Chris in Berwyn, 19 October 2013 - 02:01 AM.

#79 Dan Helferich

Dan Helferich

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 03:53 AM

My original double kit was white. I bought it 2 weeks after my best friend got his (in red) at the same store. I also knew someone who had them in light blue. My original '34 Ford pickup was red, his was light blue. I'm guessing AMT did a lot of this with Trophy Series kits.

#80 rasafyff

rasafyff

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 07:12 AM

Thanks Mark for answering my question.

Something I don't think anyone has mentioned is that Round 2 restored the headers to their original length.I think they were shortened in the Street Rod series when they added mufflers to the kit.