The Tri 5 Chevys are really popular. How about some BOP's ?

Buick Oldsmobile Pontiac

• You cannot reply to this topic
55 replies to this topic

#21 Ramfins59

Ramfins59

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,903 posts
  • Full Name:Richard Manson

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:43 AM

Yeah it would be GREAT to see ANY 50's BOP's come out in kit form, but as Casey pointed out, it's probably never gonna happen.  Until then those of us who like ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING from the 50's will have to keep the aftermarket resin guys in business with our modeling dollars...... or, take lessons from Juha Airio and scratchbuild our own.

#22 johnbuzzed

johnbuzzed

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,183 posts
  • Full Name:John "the Buzzard" Buzzerio

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:51 AM

How about a good quality snap-kit, perhaps, along the lines of Revell's current Mustang ragtop?  No engine worries, no zillion-piece chassis, just the eye candy...

#23 MrObsessive

MrObsessive

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,865 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 01:09 PM

Even the frames are not quite the same for the '55-7 Chevys and Pontiacs. IIRC, the wheelbase difference is noticeable as the Pontiacs were longer-----especially between the leading edge of the front door, and the trailing edge of the front wheelwell.

I've seen conversions done in the past as fellas have tried to base the Pontiacs on the Chevys, and they always appear a bit too "short" to me.

Still, it would be nice to see a '57 Pontiac Safari for instance, or maybe a '57 Olds 88-98 (would make a nice stock car racer!) :P

#24 2002p51

2002p51

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 707 posts
  • Full Name:Drew

Posted 27 February 2013 - 01:35 PM

A '55 Pontiac...a face only a Mother could love:  :P

55Pontiac05.jpg

Now, I like some of the styling details on the above car, like the side trim/color split and rear quarter panel shapes, but the headlight eyebrows, trim strips running the length of the hood, and the baleen looking "mouth" aren't all that attractive to me, especially in light of the '55 Chevy's simplicity up front.

The '57 Pontiac's face is even busier, and the dagmars seem excessive and ostentatious compared to the '57 Chevy's:

Watsonimg096vi-vi.jpg

I think the Tri-Five Chevies are the most popular because style wise, they look the best and are the most appealing to the eye, but as we know, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.  ;)

Well, taste and style are very subjective and personal. What GM was trying to do was make the Pontiacs and Oldsmobiles look more expensive than Chevy because they were. In the fifties the new car market was much more segmented than it is today. Ford and Chevy were considered to be in the low price field. As you moved up in your life you "upgraded" to Pontiac or Olds. As things got better you would move up to Buick and finally, when your ship came in, you bought a Cadillac. At least that's what the GM marketing department wanted you to think.

Doctors and lawyers drove Cadillacs, business executives drove Buicks, etc.

Personally I don't mind the styling of the early to mid fifties GM cars. It wasn't until 1958 that the stylists all went nutso and lost their way!  :D

#25 CEKPETHO BCE

CEKPETHO BCE

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 557 posts
  • Full Name:Andrey

Posted 27 February 2013 - 01:53 PM

'54 Buick Coupe is among my fav cars from the 50s. I don't see why there isn't a model of it yet (or at least that I know of).

#26 Art Anderson

Art Anderson

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,989 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 02:51 PM

Even the frames are not quite the same for the '55-7 Chevys and Pontiacs. IIRC, the wheelbase difference is noticeable as the Pontiacs were longer-----especially between the leading edge of the front door, and the trailing edge of the front wheelwell.

I've seen conversions done in the past as fellas have tried to base the Pontiacs on the Chevys, and they always appear a bit too "short" to me.

Still, it would be nice to see a '57 Pontiac Safari for instance, or maybe a '57 Olds 88-98 (would make a nice stock car racer!) :P

Yeah, back then, Pontiacs were almost always at least 6" longer than Chevrolet's, the extra length being between the firewall and the centerline of the front wheels (a concession to the years of Pontiac straight 8 engines).

Art.

#27 Edsel-Dan

Edsel-Dan

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,379 posts
  • Full Name:Daniel Lee Gunter

Posted 27 February 2013 - 03:01 PM

No 55-57 BOP paced the Indy 500. But Bonneville Bid in 58!!!

56 DeSoto Pace Setter Convertible

57 Mercury Turnpike Cruiser.

Buick go the job in 59, Olds in 60.

Want to see my Pace car Projects on the Buick & Olds??

I can show those, but I don't have the Bonneville yet.

Yes I too would like to see some of these Buick/Olds/Pontiac's in Kit form.

Especially the Safari wagon. Pontiac's Nomad!!

#28 mnwildpunk

mnwildpunk

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,968 posts
  • Full Name:Dave isle

Posted 27 February 2013 - 03:49 PM

Ya wanna borrow my "Flack Jacket"? :lol:

I wholeheartedly agree with you. I would like to see something other than a Tri-5 Chevy. A person can only build a 57 Chevy so many times.

Amen brother I personally will never build a 57 chev because they are everywhere. much like the camaros of the 60's but give me BOP kit and I'd build them in a heartbeat much like the 50 olds kit

#29 Ramfins59

Ramfins59

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,903 posts
  • Full Name:Richard Manson

Posted 27 February 2013 - 03:57 PM

Drew you are right in that taste and style are very subjective and personal.  Personally I LIKE the cars of 1958 along with ALL the cars from the 50's.... but that's just me.

#30 Eshaver

Eshaver

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,870 posts
  • Full Name:Ed Shaver

Posted 27 February 2013 - 04:01 PM

Ever just try an do a diorama with just 57 Chevrolets .............................. ? :mellow:  ;) 

#31 pharoah

pharoah

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts
  • Full Name:John Farrow

Posted 27 February 2013 - 04:31 PM

A '55 Pontiac...a face only a Mother could love:  :P

55Pontiac05.jpg

Now, I like some of the styling details on the above car, like the side trim/color split and rear quarter panel shapes, but the headlight eyebrows, trim strips running the length of the hood, and the baleen looking "mouth" aren't all that attractive to me, especially in light of the '55 Chevy's simplicity up front.

The '57 Pontiac's face is even busier, and the dagmars seem excessive and ostentatious compared to the '57 Chevy's:

Watsonimg096vi-vi.jpg

I think the Tri-Five Chevies are the most popular because style wise, they look the best and are the most appealing to the eye, but as we know, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.  ;)

I know Casey,But it was my oldest brother's first car and I've always been sentimental about them.

57 Pontiacs do look better.

#32 gray07

gray07

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,604 posts
  • Full Name:Shelly and Darrin Holts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 06:27 PM

I just sold my black with white top 55 pontiac 4 door last summer, i was taking it to a cruise and a guy stopped,  me and he needed it more than i did because he offered me the right amount. Now i here he is mounting it on a suburban frame. I like the 55-57 BOP better that the chevys,  you dont see them at every show you go to like the chevys.

Edited by gray07, 27 February 2013 - 06:28 PM.

#33 2002p51

2002p51

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 707 posts
  • Full Name:Drew

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:50 AM

Drew you are right in that taste and style are very subjective and personal.  Personally I LIKE the cars of 1958 along with ALL the cars from the 50's.... but that's just me.

Well, one or two of them have kinda grown on me in the years since. I remember the first time I saw the new '58 Chevy! I was shocked that they could mess up so bad after the '57.  They don't look all that bad to me today. But that's really about the only '58 car I can say that about. 

For awhile in high school I had a '58 Olds that my dad passed down to me after he bought a '59 Buick. That Olds was one huge, ugly son of a _______! I never could quite understand how they got there from the '57.  :D

#34 mistermodel

mistermodel

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts
  • Full Name:KEVIN YORKE

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:12 AM

Unless they do a Canadian Pontiac ,,and I really doubt that's gonna happen. ;)

aint that the truth.

Edited by mistermodel, 28 February 2013 - 10:16 AM.

#35 Brett Barrow

Brett Barrow

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,267 posts
  • Full Name:Genius billionaire playboy philanthropist Brett M. Barrow, Esq.

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:25 AM

I'd rather see a 2-door post or lower-level wagon tri-five Chevy with a true gasser alternate building option out-of-the-box.  Or a junior stocker, at least (Jere Stahl's 57 150!?!?)

There's several tri-fives that need to be done, and anyone who says it's easy to make a 57 Bel Air convertible out of a hardtop doesn't know their tri-fives very well.  Convertible interiors are much different than the hardtops, which were also much different than the post sedans and lower-level 210s, 210 Delrays, and 150's.

Also we need good, modern 55 and 57 Nomads, and I'd like to see at least one year's lower level Handyman wagon, preferably 57 (losta potential gasser and junior stocker material there).   

I'd like to see a BOP, and I'm sure a lot of rep-stock builders would, too, but I don't see them having the staying power or broader appeal needed to sell in this current climate as a long-run styrene kit.  I think they'd make good resin subjects, though, especially if done in simpler promo-style curbside form for somewhere in the $30-$40 range.  

#36 MrObsessive

MrObsessive

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,865 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 01:47 PM

Also we need good, modern 55 and 57 Nomads, and I'd like to see at least one year's lower level Handyman wagon, preferably 57 (losta potential gasser and junior stocker material there).   

I'm surprised that Revell with all of the good Tri-Fives that they've done, we STILL don't have a REALLY good '57 Nomad! Seems to be a no-brainer at this point!

#37 Brett Barrow

Brett Barrow

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,267 posts
  • Full Name:Genius billionaire playboy philanthropist Brett M. Barrow, Esq.

Posted 28 February 2013 - 03:50 PM

I'm surprised that Revell with all of the good Tri-Fives that they've done, we STILL don't have a REALLY good '57 Nomad! Seems to be a no-brainer at this point!

Probably for the same reason they haven't done a 56 Bel Air yet, either.  They'd be getting rid of an older, cheaper model that's still a good seller, and most importantly, the tooling was paid for years ago!

#38 Craig Irwin

Craig Irwin

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 04:42 PM

For awhile in high school I had a '58 Olds that my dad passed down to me after he bought a '59 Buick. That Olds was one huge, ugly son of a _______! I never could quite understand how they got there from the '57.  :D

A high school friend of mine had one of those, a big 4 door tank, and with a small wrench and a 1/8 inch drill the Oldsmobile letters were rearanged and he was the proud owner of a "SLOBMODEL". If we went anywhere together we drove my 56 Chevy 2 door Belair.

#39 Greg Myers

Greg Myers

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,679 posts
  • Full Name:Gregory Myers

Posted 28 February 2013 - 06:01 PM

What gets me is with all of the new good stuff they keep reissuing the old stuff. About time for another run of these ?55CHEVYREVELLBoxLHEnd-vi.jpg

#40 Edsel-Dan

Edsel-Dan

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,379 posts
  • Full Name:Daniel Lee Gunter

Posted 28 February 2013 - 06:56 PM

Maybe as long as the put the Stock parts back in them.

Most of those Old Full functioning kits have been altered to Hot-Rod status and 

can not be built stock anymore.

I would not mind having a few of those again.