What is the maximum That You Will Spend on Building a Model And Has This Ever Gone Past Your Limit?

• You cannot reply to this topic
45 replies to this topic

#21 Pro Wrench

Pro Wrench

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • Full Name:Curt Scott

Posted 03 March 2013 - 11:45 AM

I don't have any kind of budget that I am set on but it's pretty likely I would never spend the kind of money it takes to invest in a Pocher kit and the almost neccessary associated detail kit that it would take to build it the way it should be built. ALTHOUGH, I would easily spend the money it takes to purchase things like the Sherline mills and lathes if I could afford it because I could use them for a lot of other things than model building. I'm a Master Automotive Technician for a living so I am kind of a tool junky and have no problem spending a LOT of money for quality tools. Read that as "the Snap-On dealer owns me".

#22 MikeyB08

MikeyB08

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 502 posts
  • Full Name:James Basham

Posted 03 March 2013 - 11:47 AM

Building in 1:24/1:25 Scale

Personally, I'm very cost focused when it comes to my builds. I can't afford to think outside the box since I'm the only one working (at all) while my G/F finishes school.

Once their is 2 incomes coming in, I'll start splurging more. Until then, I can't see spending anymore that $30 on the actual Model and no more than $25 for paint and such.

Of course, on the flip side, their are NO Hobby Stores even close to me that have a wide array of model building supplies (styrene and such). So, in a sense thats a plus for me otherwise I a budget would be no concern.

Moral of my situation: If I REALLY want it, I will buy it. If I doubt what I want in anyway, I pass. 

#23 Harry P.

Harry P.

MCM Ohana

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,879 posts
  • Full Name:A mere layman...

Posted 03 March 2013 - 12:05 PM

List most others, I don't have any pre-set limit. And the most I've ever spent on one kit (the kit plus aftermarket detail items) was about $1,000. That's just the kit and the aftermarket parts alone... I don't count supplies like paint, glue, sandpaper, X-acto blades, etc., as that is all just general supplies that are used on all kits, and an ongoing expense as needed.

#24 rel14

rel14

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts
  • Full Name:Randy Layman

Posted 03 March 2013 - 12:12 PM

All depends on who, and what it is for, $25 to $200, I use to race circle track,,and modeling is a few hundred cheap.

#25 Custom Hearse

Custom Hearse

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,015 posts
  • Full Name:Marshall Glasgow

Posted 03 March 2013 - 12:37 PM

Kit, paint, glue, thought , effort, procrastination, Oooo, look at this new kit (finish that other one later) = about $30

DSCF0015-3.jpgDSCF0007-3.jpgDSCF0048.jpg

Wow!!! you just described me to a T!!!  B)

As for me and a budget, I spend whatever it takes to build the model.

Edited by Custom Hearse, 03 March 2013 - 12:38 PM.

#26 Jairus

Jairus

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,775 posts
  • Full Name:Jairus

Posted 03 March 2013 - 12:48 PM

If you have to total up the cost.... I humbly suggest you find another hobby.

Since I take each task one day at a time and only purchase before the need, I rarely consider the total cost for my hobby including time spent because that is not a hobby. It's a business.

#27 Darin Bastedo

Darin Bastedo

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 02:07 PM

There is no limit for me, a lot of it depends on how much I want to build a particular subject, and what my available funds are. If I really want something, I'll save up for it.

#28 BKcustoms

BKcustoms

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 861 posts
  • Full Name:Billy Kaune

Posted 04 March 2013 - 05:30 AM

I have a couple of builds that ended up costing around $100 by the time they were done due to photo etch pieces and using automotive paint but most of the time the cost of the kit and maybe a set of wheels is pretty much all I'll spend since I've got a decent sized collection of paints and spare parts. I also try to scratchbuild everything I can before buying aftermarket since sheet styrene is a lot cheaper than resin.

#29 Scale-Master

Scale-Master

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,906 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 06:35 AM

I agree with what Pete J. said in both of his posts.  I do the same basic assessment to benchmark the value of my time and monetary investment.

I think the most I ever spent on a kit was $302.00, including shipping.  One guess as to what kind of kit that was...  Built it out of the box and got my money's worth in enjoyment.  (And apparently a small addiction.)

Recently I bought $50.00 worth of brass stock and $300.00 worth of molding/casting materials.  All of that is going into a model that has no kit parts in it.  (Well, maybe not all the casting stuff.)  For the amount of time I will spend on the project, it works out to a fair investment in return for enjoyment of the hobby. 

As for a direct answer to the topic question: 

There is no set limit, but I have spent more than I should have on some models, and amazingly little (to me) for the outcome on others.

#30 Ramfins59

Ramfins59

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,166 posts
  • Full Name:Richard Manson

Posted 04 March 2013 - 06:49 AM

Like what has already been stated previously, I actually have never added up what the "costs" are on a particular build.  I've spent $125 for a resin kit, and I've spent $5.00 for a glue bomb.  I've been back in this hobby for 21 years and have accumulated lots of stuff over the years as has everyone else.  I must have well over $1,000 worth of PE and aftermarket parts that I've bought over time.  Paints, primers, paint stands, glues, tools, brushes, sheet plastic, tubing of all types, that also have been bought, replaced or replenished over time.  I never actually put a limit on what I'll spend on a particular build... it costs whatever it costs to finish it up the way I want it to look.  

#31 Jantrix

Jantrix

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,451 posts
  • Full Name:Rob Mattis

Posted 04 March 2013 - 07:29 AM

I just don't worry about it frankly. Compared to other hobbies, this hobby is incredibly cheap. My wife realizes this so I spend what I want, but having said that, almost none of my builds has more than $50-60 invested. I've learned to use cheaper materials that keep my aftermarkets costs way down. Also any model that I do spend more money on is totally offset by the model I build for next to nothing from the parts bins and parted out kits.

#32 slusher

slusher

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,559 posts
  • Full Name:carl slusher

Posted 04 March 2013 - 08:47 AM

l build box stock so a kit, paint foil and glue. l very seldom buy after market items....

#33 Jon Cole

Jon Cole

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,426 posts
  • Full Name:Jon... although my parents used to call me "KNOCK IT OFF!"

Posted 04 March 2013 - 08:48 AM

Never give up. Never quit. All those started kits I have? As far as I am concerned, they are still being worked on.

Eventually.

Not.... necessarily by me, mind you, but... some day, by someone, they will get done.

#34 johnbuzzed

johnbuzzed

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,283 posts
  • Full Name:John "the Buzzard" Buzzerio

Posted 04 March 2013 - 08:56 AM

"I am just wondering what you guys think is the limit to spend when building a model car or light truck? For guys that build big rigs, I ask the same, but please specify what type of model you are referring to. And dioramas - that's a whole different kind of build but let's look at those as well. I know that a diorama can be years in completing and I am not so sure that there is never room for improvement or that one more detail just to add realism."

There's no need to separate cars, light trucks, big rigs or dioramas- you can spend as much or as little time and cash as you want to on any type of model.  It's kind of like "How fast do you want to go?  Well, how much money do you want to spend?"  It all depends on the reason for which you are building the model and the depth of your financial resources.

#35 Green Duster

Green Duster

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  • Full Name:Brian Kaplan

Posted 04 March 2013 - 09:16 AM

I've had a couple that were around $100. when I got done. Resin kit, a plastic doner kit, paint and supplies.

But most of the time, the cost of the kit. Got enough parts kits to fab up everything else.

I'm a piker when it comes to building. Secondary hobby here. Just for the fun of it.

I don't got out for contest builds. I''m not impressing anybody but me.

#36 skysoldier46

skysoldier46

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts
  • Full Name:Jim Baskin

Posted 04 March 2013 - 09:18 AM

I spent almost 2 years building my well drilling rig from scratch. the only aftermarket part I used was a Cat engine in the rear. Cost? Don't care I do it for the enjoyment and I'm also single so no wife to gripe at me. LOL

#37 sjordan2

sjordan2

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,891 posts
  • Full Name:Skip Jordan

Posted 04 March 2013 - 09:24 AM

Since I build vintage sports cars and classics, most of my money goes toward reference material for individual cars, such as original owner's manuals, shop manuals, books, real parts, built versions of my kits from eBay, etc. That amounts to several times the cost of each kit. Actually, I've become more of a collector of of things like that than an active model builder (so far). Lord knows how much time I've spent on online research.

Edited by sjordan2, 04 March 2013 - 09:28 AM.

#38 Chas SCR

Chas SCR

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 716 posts
  • Full Name:Chas Cochran

Posted 04 March 2013 - 09:51 AM

Seems you are asking a question that to each person has a different limit or sight on. You build for your self even if you are building a car for some one else and try to keep it in your budget of your own. Each person on here has a different way of doing things and how much they drop for clear coat, paint or even go after buying a lathe or mill. Some of use do drop change like its falling from a sky compare to others but it's what makes us happy and us work better.

#39 ZTony8

ZTony8

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 561 posts
  • Full Name:Tony Buglione

Posted 04 March 2013 - 10:28 AM

I don't usually set a budget since mostly what I build is box stock so for me it's just the cost of the kit (at less than retail) plus any paint I may not have in my stock or foil if I'm running low on that.Occasionally I'll splurge and buy some photoetch or aftermarket decals but not for every kit.The cost of the paint,glue,and foil is amortized over several kits.

#40 mr68gts

mr68gts

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 827 posts
  • Full Name:Paul Mendoza

Posted 04 March 2013 - 10:30 AM

I dont count how much I spend on any given model because you can't put a price on the relaxation and pleasure it gives me to spend time on them. That to me is invaluable. But the most I've spent thus far (mostly because the wife counted it lol) on a model was around 1300.00 and counting. That also includes the paint however as I bought it for this model.

Most of them are around the 100.00 range when I have to buy wiring and such but obviously that will do more than one model.

Paul

Edited by mr68gts, 04 March 2013 - 10:30 AM.