#41 AzTom

AzTom

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,010 posts
  • Full Name:Tom Allen

Posted 20 March 2013 - 06:09 PM

Oh how I wish there was. MPC never offered it and I have yet to see one cast in resin. I have seen someone make a 73-74 grille for the Monogram trucks with photoetch mesh; the scale difference between the two probably wouldn't be that noticeable and you'd be able to get away with using the same mesh. 

I'm hoping to get a hold of a Blazer kit someday, might have to wait for the reissue to come out. I want to see if the 75-76 grille from the Blazer will fit the pickups. Also, if the pickup grilles will fit the Blazer. 

Thanks, I had a new C3500 in 1973 and would like to build a model of it.

#42 Longbox55

Longbox55

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,661 posts
  • Full Name:Bill Burmeister

Posted 13 May 2013 - 06:11 AM

Apparently depending on the trim level one got either round or square headlights, which fits in with what Ford and Dodge were doing right around the same time period.

In 1980 (first year for square headlamps on a GM truck), only the Silverado and the Sierra Classic had the square headlamps. All others had the older style round headlamps. In '81, all models went square headlamps.

#43 kataranga

kataranga

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts
  • Full Name:Chris Martin

Posted 13 May 2013 - 07:18 AM

Thanks for the info, Bill! Sounds like GM did the same thing as Ford during the switch to square headlamps, only a year later.

Curiously, my 1980 Chevrolet brochure only shows square lights on all the trucks, even though they aren't all Silverados...

#44 kataranga

kataranga

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 02:32 AM

Airfix-branded Fall Guy:

airfix_fallguy.JPG

#45 Luc Janssens

Luc Janssens

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 736 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 09:14 PM

Airfix "Ground Shaker" Chevy StepsideDSCN1813_zps21fad749.jpg

#46 1972coronet

1972coronet

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts
  • Full Name:John Shoe

Posted 26 October 2013 - 04:25 PM

I just received the 1978 Chevy C-10 Annual which I "won" on eBay , and am super excited about having this kit again !

Here's an abridged story as a preface :

In 1978 , I was 8 years old ; glue-together kits were pretty new territory for yours truly . So , on a typical Saturday afternoon trip to Sears in Santa Fe Springs (Ca.) , I found this really cool looking Chevy Pickup . I absolutely had to have it ! $3.25 later , it was mine !

On our next family trip to GemCo in Downey (Ca.) a few months later , the opportunity to purchase another of this kit presented itself . This time , I was going to build the custom version !

Well , even the best of my 8 years old abilities weren't enough to build either version to my satisfaction . I managed to hold on to the built-ups until the 1987 Whittier Earthquake , at which time the kits were destroyed ( :(  ) .

I'd see these C-10 annauls on eBay and I wanted one in the worst way ! But , I ne'er had the funds to bid on one ... until very recently :) .

I got one in factory-sealed condition , and at a very reasonable price : ~$70.00 , shipping included !!

My next move is to buy some plain 'steel' wheels with base model hubcaps ( Scenes Unlimited , I'm thinking ... ) , as I've always wanted to build one with those wheels , as far back as 1978 !!

#47 kataranga

kataranga

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 02:23 PM

Hmm, I think you may have overpaid a touch! That kit averages around $50-60 these days. I managed to grab one for $30 that had been started slightly. :)

#48 1972coronet

1972coronet

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 04:34 PM

Hmm, I think you may have overpaid a touch! That kit averages around $50-60 these days. I managed to grab one for $30 that had been started slightly. :)

I'm yet to see one --in factory-sealled condition-- for the price I'd paid . Most sealled examples are in the $100's ! Maybe I'm just missing out on those $30 examples ... ?

It's of little consequence ; I've been wanting this kit for more than thirty years , so I'm happy with what I bought :) .

#49 kataranga

kataranga

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 01:23 AM

Ah yes, that might be the difference. The ones I've seen weren't factory sealed but all the bags inside were unopened.

#50 1972coronet

1972coronet

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 05:00 PM

Upon realising that the 1978 Stepside Annual is representative of the Scottsdale trim / model , I began searching internet images of the options and trim which are specific to the Scottsdale model .

I am perplexed ; I'm finding / seeing contradictory info and images , from original brochures to original interiors , and I am unable to ascertain the following :

1.) Gauge Bezel / Dash Applique . The factory brochures mention to the effect (to paraphrase) , "Black [pebble-texture] gauge bezel [and] dash applique" , and yet , I have seen this trim level / model with "bright" applique / gauge bezel ; a combination of "bright" and black , and ; woodgrain .

2.) Upholstery Materials / Floor Covering . Again , I have seen :

- Moulded black rubber mat ;

- Colour-keyed moulded rubber mat , and ;

- Colour-keyed carpet .

Additionally , I have seen seats with either a cloth / vinyl combo , an all-vinyl trim , and a full cloth trim .

3.) Door Panels . It seems that every one of the Scottsdale models have a partial door panel ; a moulded plastic top-three-quarter-cover with the exposed metal painted body colour , with a few having interior colour-keyed paint .

4.) Windshield / Backlight Trim . I've seen either plain black rubber , or black rubber with bright accents (think : 1963-1966 Dart and Valiant) .

While I'm not dead-set on replicating a dead stock model , there are certain aspects which I am aiming for accuracy with . The itemised list above "alludes" to this quest .

I am , unfortunately , unfamiliar with the subtlies of my all-time fave 1970's pickups . I am admittidly more of a MoPar fanatic (but have also always enjoyed every make and model of the "Big 4" ) . With this in-mind , I certainly appreciate any direction / opinions regarding my inquiry .

Thanks ! :)

#51 Longbox55

Longbox55

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,661 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 06:10 PM

I believe I can answer some of your questions.

1. The black instrument panel was standard on the Custom Deluxe (base model), Scottsdale, and Cheyenne trucks. The bright instrument panel you see, which was standard on Silverado and Sport models, was optional on the other three as RPO BC3, and required gauge options Z53 voltmeter, temperature, oil pressure, and either V35 electric clock or U16 tachometer.

2. The Scottsdale came standard with the color keyed moulded floormat. Only the Custom deluxe had the black mat. Color Keyed carpeting was available in a Scottsdale, but required RPO Z77 Sport Truck.

On the seats, vinyl was standard, plus there was a striped vinyl that was a Scottsdale exclusive, as well as a cloth option.

3.You've pretty much hit the nail on that one, with virtually all of those trucks having the painted surfaces on the interior the same color as the exterior.

4. Bright windshield and backlight trim was standard on the Scottsdale, Cheyenne, and Silverado. It could be possible to see one without the bright rear trim if it has a rear sliding window, as some of the aftermarket widows will not work with the bright trim window gasket.

#52 gray07

gray07

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,608 posts
  • Full Name:Shelly and Darrin Holts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 06:54 AM

If anyone needs pictures, my father-in-law drives a black inside and out 81   longbed chevy 2 wheeldrive with straight 6 that he bought in 83

Edited by gray07, 18 November 2013 - 06:55 AM.

#53 kataranga

kataranga

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 04:26 PM

I would like some pictures of the engine; very difficult to find pictures online as most trucks you see have V8s! I'm still on the lookout for pictures of an 84-87 with a V6...

#54 mnwildpunk

mnwildpunk

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,084 posts
  • Full Name:Dave isle

Posted 20 November 2013 - 06:16 PM

Kataranga keep up the awesome reviews but how is the the rounded line of trucks it's more square then the rest of GM offering up to this time imho

#55 kataranga

kataranga

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 06:04 PM

Rounded Line is what GM called them. Mostly due to the window glass and openings, upper doors, dash, etc. Compared to what came after, they are certainly worthy of the more common appellation of squarebody nowadays. :)

#56 Repstock

Repstock

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts
  • Full Name:Tom Ellifritt

Posted 22 November 2013 - 06:19 AM

Nice review , Chris :) .

The only *correction* I can contribute pertains tot he first issue , the 1978 Annual : it was moulded in white , not maroon as you've mentioned .

It is , indeed , two-wheel-drive .

I built many of the original kit ; none have survived the ravages of time :( . It's the only version of that series that I ever wish to build again , but with the wheels / tyres from the AMT Chevy Van kit (steel wheels / hubcaps).

The third iteration of the '78 Pickup ---the so-called "Dust Devil"--- was a huge disappointment for me upon its release , as the false advertising of a "stock" version ---in two-wheel-drive guise-- was only revealled to me upon opening the box  :angry: .

GemCo took it back from my 9 year old hands and offered me a replacement :) .

But , it didn't end there !

I wrote a letter to MPC explaining my dismay ; my disappointment over their false advertising of a "stock" version.

MPC replied in kind , and they too offered a replacment kit . I refused their offer , as GemCo already made good with a replacement .

But , I divulge ...

Round2 : Pretty Please retool that Fall Guy GMC to its 1978 origins , but with 2 wheel drive suspension in addition to the coveted (by most , not me) 4 wheel drive parts ; and , include both bedstyles :D .

What a good idea...dscn4990.jpgdscn4989.jpg

#57 1972coronet

1972coronet

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 05:14 PM

BEAUTIFUL !!!!

#58 mikemodeler

mikemodeler

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,048 posts
  • Full Name:Classified

Posted 23 November 2013 - 05:52 AM

I would like some pictures of the engine; very difficult to find pictures online as most trucks you see have V8s! I'm still on the lookout for pictures of an 84-87 with a V6...

I believe that truck came with the 4.3L V-6 that was found in the S-10 pickups starting in 1988. Previously the 6 cylinder engine in the GM pickups was the old L-6 250 c.i. Stringent emissions standards rendered the L-6 obsolete as it had a carb.

Longbox55 will know for sure, he seems to have vast knowledge on these vintage trucks.

I would buy a case of these if you offered them up Tom, resin or styrene!  ;)

#59 Repstock

Repstock

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts
  • Full Name:Tom Ellifritt

Posted 23 November 2013 - 03:10 PM

I believe that truck came with the 4.3L V-6 that was found in the S-10 pickups starting in 1988. Previously the 6 cylinder engine in the GM pickups was the old L-6 250 c.i. Stringent emissions standards rendered the L-6 obsolete as it had a carb.

Longbox55 will know for sure, he seems to have vast knowledge on these vintage trucks.

I would buy a case of these if you offered them up Tom, resin or styrene!  ;)

Even though this truck has an 8 foot bed made from a Blazer, I have three resin 8' beds waiting to be used. I can't for the life of me remember who cast them, and I don't know if they're still available. I think it was Race Motor Replicas.

#60 Longbox55

Longbox55

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,661 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 03:16 PM

'85 was the first year for the 4.3 V6 in the Full Size trucks, with 2 different variants. One was a TBI engine rated at 155 hp, the other has an odd Quadrajet 4bbl induction, and was rated at 130hp. The 292 inline was still available, using the Dualjet 2SE carb, but was pretty much only found in Crew Cab and Bonus Cab (Crew Cab with no rear seat) models, though I have heard of a few standard cab 1 tons with it. I remember the sheet metal shop my Dad worked for buying a few of those carbureted V6 trucks, 1/2 ton shortbed 2wd with the manual trans, very doggy performance.