MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 403 posts
  • Full Name:Pete Linszky
    JSMCC

Posted 13 June 2013 - 08:14 AM

Greg,

Thanks for the heads up...gotta have some of them for sure :D  :D  :D !!!

Edited by Pete L., 13 June 2013 - 08:15 AM.

#4 John Pol

John Pol

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 802 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 08:30 AM

Love the old box art

#5 Toner283

Toner283

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts
  • Full Name:Chris Tone

Posted 13 June 2013 - 12:10 PM

Did the other thread vanish?

Looking forward to getting a few of this kit. The 36 fords are one of the nicest designs to have ever come off the ford drawing board. Hope the roadster top and windsheild are also included, there is no mention of them on the website but the box are posted shows the roadster. I have a mint original kit (from 1964?) that I was planning on building, just couldnt decide how. Now I dont have to, I can cut & modify and not worry about it.

Kudos to Round 2. Keep the reissues coming. Lets see all of the other original kits/tooling restored to their glory too. Would love to see the Model A coupe/Cabriolet and the Model a tub redone to original. The 40 Ford pickup too. I bet all three of those would fly off the shelves. I would buy a case of the Model A's each.

Edited by Toner283, 13 June 2013 - 12:12 PM.

#6 Edsel-Dan

Edsel-Dan

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,343 posts
  • Full Name:Daniel Lee Gunter

Posted 13 June 2013 - 01:10 PM

AMT Did NOT do a 40 Ford Pickup!

Monogram Did in 1/24!!!!

It Has been re-issued Several times, bit the "Stock" parts

were Lost after the Original issue!!

It Could Not be built completely stock anyway!!

Diamond Tufted interior upholstery Only!!

#7 Toner283

Toner283

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 01:53 PM

AMT Did NOT do a 40 Ford Pickup!
Monogram Did in 1/24!!!!
It Has been re-issued Several times, bit the "Stock" parts
were Lost after the Original issue!!
It Could Not be built completely stock anyway!!
Diamond Tufted interior upholstery Only!!

Yes, you're right the 40 was originally a monogram kit. So were the 36 ford that round 2 is reissuing ad the Model A's that I was talking about too for that matter. I have no idea which company currently owns the tooling for any of the kits, whoever owns the tooling can release an issue under whatever label they want. I don't think it will matter to most modelers what name is on the box, it is what is inside that counts. I did not mean restored to original as in stock, I mean restored to original as in the tooling restored to the original issue with all of the options, parts and pieces that the first issue kits had. I have mint unbuilt originals of each one of the ones I mentioned and the most recent issue for each are a shadow of the original kits.

#8 Edsel-Dan

Edsel-Dan

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,343 posts
  • Full Name:Daniel Lee Gunter

Posted 13 June 2013 - 02:07 PM

I believe this Round2 36 ford is an Original AMT kit, and Not the Monogram !!

AMT had their OWN 36 Fords!

Remember the "Dick Tracey" issue??

#9 Lunajammer

Lunajammer

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts
  • Full Name:Mike Laliberte

Posted 13 June 2013 - 02:09 PM

AMT's (Round2) is 1/25, Monogram's is 1/24.

#10 southpier

southpier

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,315 posts
  • Full Name:joe smythe

Posted 13 June 2013 - 02:10 PM

....36 fords are one of the nicest designs to have ever come off the ford drawing board.....

Kudos to Round 2. Keep the reissues coming. Lets see all of the other original kits/tooling restored to their glory too......

ditto

OP - thanks for posting this good news!

#11 pack rat

pack rat

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • Full Name:Mike Wherry

Posted 13 June 2013 - 02:12 PM

Yes, you're right the 40 was originally a monogram kit. So were the 36 ford that round 2 is reissuing ad the Model A's that I was talking about too for that matter. I have no idea which company currently owns the tooling for any of the kits, whoever owns the tooling can release an issue under whatever label they want. I don't think it will matter to most modelers what name is on the box, it is what is inside that counts. I did not mean restored to original as in stock, I mean restored to original as in the tooling restored to the original issue with all of the options, parts and pieces that the first issue kits had. I have mint unbuilt originals of each one of the ones I mentioned and the most recent issue for each are a shadow of the original kits.

The '36 Ford Round2 is re-issuing never appeared in a Monogram box. There is a Monogram '36 that dates back to the '60's but it's a whole different (1/24 scale) kit

As I mentioned in the thread that disappeared, the kit will contain stock and chopped 3-window versions, but no roadster parts.

#12 Toner283

Toner283

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 05:57 PM

OK, I'm confused. I thought that the 3 window was the monogram kit and the amt kit was a 5 window. I just dug out my original monogram kit and it is a three window. (hadn't really looked at it in several years) I thought that it was the one with the stock and the chopped top but my memory was not working as well as I could have hoped. Only the stock height 3 window roof is present and is the only one referenced in the instructions.

When did the AMT kit get changed from a 3 window to a 5 window (like the dick tracy issue)? Or did it have both roofs originally?  Also, the 3 window kit that has been released under the revell name a couple of times - is it the same tooling as the monogram kit? I also have an AMT 36 ford roadster that is yellow on the box art and IIRC it has both the roadster parts and a 3 window roof as well. Is that the kit that Round 2 is reissuing? Is it the same tooling as the dick tracy issue but with a different roof section?

I am totally confused now.

#13 cartpix

cartpix

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 344 posts
  • Full Name:Jeff Davidson

Posted 13 June 2013 - 06:04 PM

I built 2 roadsters, in the late 80's. Very nice kit. It has a well detailed Pontiac engine with tri power, also a nice flathead. One of the down sides is it has a single exhaust molded to the chassis. But if you cut out the floor between the frame & X member, glue in some sheet plastic, & file off the exhaust on the frame, problem solved.

Jeff

Edited by cartpix, 13 June 2013 - 06:05 PM.

#14 alan barton

alan barton

MCM Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 06:34 PM

Hi everyone,

I don't post here much but I thought I would try and clear up some confusion on these 36s.  I have most of them in my collection but being in Australia we didnt see every single re-issue that you guys got so feel free to add anything to this that I missed.

AMT's first 36  (with the box art seen at the top of this post) was a 1/25th scale roadster and a 3 window coupe with a chopped to.p I have an original in black plastic and I am certain it did not come with a stock height top.

Later reissues (I have them in grey, white, blue and yellow) came with the roadster version and a stock height 3 window roof.

When the Dick Tracey movie came out, AMT converted the 3 window coupe to a five window.  This was a pretty crude effort - the roof piece literally fell between the sides of the body as it was way too narrow.  The rear door lines were moved forward to represent the shorter door of a 5window but the step in the glueing surfaces remains in the 3W position making for a bit of extra clean-up.  Also, not that it really shows but the interior door lines were still in the three window position. The kit was molded in black.without roadster parts,

Eventually AMT reissued the 5window coupe as a street rod with a revised roof - it fits at last!  I'm pretty sure this was also a coupe only - no roadster parts.

Meanwhile, Monogram's first 36 was a 1/24 6 in 1 in the flat box and included parts to build a stock height 3 window or a stock height cabriolet.  The important difference between a roadster and a cabriolet is that the cabriolet has a fixed sheet metal windshield frame and posts and has wind-up windows so the window ledge is higher than a roadster.

In the seventies the cabriolet was re-issued as a stand alone model in the Early Iron series in yellow plastic.  No stock running gear was included.  Some time later the coupe was re-issued, again as a stand alone model  in metallic red plastic and no stock parts.

The AMT and Monogram efforts are surprisingly similar in assembly but there are two significant differences - Monogram has separate running boards which makes them far easier to paint and the vents on the hood are open - a nice touch.

They all build up real nice and I can't wait to get another chopped top - it really is a gorgeous chop!

Cheers

Alan

#15 John Goschke

John Goschke

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 911 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 03:20 AM

As I mentioned in the thread that disappeared, the kit will contain stock and chopped 3-window versions, but no roadster parts.

As I said in the thread that disappeared, this makes no sense, given what they are showing on the website and especially given the updated version of the original 1961 box art they're displaying, which shows the roadster and says "Build it as an 'authentic' top down or top up stock roadster."

However, it should be noted that you can't make an accurate roadster "out of the box" from it 'cause the 3w coupe doors are too long for the roadster. Noticed that when I went to build the roadster and something didn't look right when compared to photos.

Here're the facts directly from a guy who owns a 3w and a roadster when I posted the question and requests for measurements on the HAMB...

Q. "Are the doors on the three-window coupe the same length as the doors on the roadster?

Thanks for any help! Actual dimensions would be especially appreciated!"

A. "NO.....just went out and measured the doors on my Roadster and Three Window, both Ford original steel cars.

ROADSTER: Top of door, right above the top hinge in the crease of the belt-line 34 1/2" gap to gap.
Bottom of door, 36" gap to gap.

3W COUPE: Top of door, below hinge, in crease of belt-line, 40 3/4" gap to gap.
Bottom of door, 42 1/8", gap to gap.

Hope this helps, let me know if you need any more measurements."

Nice that they're restoring the lost parts to the kit, especially the chopped 3W roof. Would really love it if it were BETTER than the original.

The custom wheelcovers from the original issue are pretty cool (shown on a deuce 5w)... these smooth aftermarket pieces that were available for 1/1s thru J.C. Whitney, Western Auto, and many others back in the day. Hope they bring them back for this release!

Attached File  36cap.jpg   74.25KB   6 downloads

Edited by John Goschke, 14 June 2013 - 03:36 AM.

#16 Greg Myers

Greg Myers

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,932 posts
  • Full Name:Gregory Myers

Posted 14 June 2013 - 04:11 AM

AMT, AMT/ERTEL,  AMT/MATCHBOX, ROUND  2 :m6OkMS8J8XBlc07N7Wzhkmw.jpg$T2eC16J,!y8E9s2figHYBRQlsJrVJg~~60_35.JmhdG8u1JsVGx2I-PI48uYJg.jpgd8-vi.jpgmaxL71JW9TUGo4FRqSBHiyg.jpg

Edited by Greg Myers, 14 June 2013 - 04:26 AM.

#17 Greg Myers

Greg Myers

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,932 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 04:27 AM

Monogram Revell 1/24th scale:

monogram36customizingford.JPGmr8PUuVjlXVPUSmckI_e5xQ.jpgmUaVC3349UyYQKBUIxms4Nw.jpg13307176235132115714669.jpeg1_57204006560e9511a58b432d50a618d7.jpgRMX-4227-3.jpg

Edited by Greg Myers, 14 June 2013 - 04:31 AM.

#18 Greg Myers

Greg Myers

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,932 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 04:34 AM

Dick Tracy ( and variants) five window :

36f6107a.JPGmB8JblLrBriTF6PK1dstbQQ.jpgmDwUN8gbR_weJ-hoqlTHzuA.jpg$(KGrHqNHJEgFGH2Ggbm)BRk+1m(rYw~~60_35.J

Edited by Greg Myers, 14 June 2013 - 04:39 AM.

#19 pack rat

pack rat

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • Full Name:Mike Wherry

Posted 14 June 2013 - 04:37 AM

As I said in the thread that disappeared, this makes no sense, given what they are showing on the website and especially given the updated version of the original 1961 box art they're displaying, which shows the roadster and says "Build it as an 'authentic' top down or top up stock roadster."
]

A direct quote, from the Model Kit Development Director at Round2, before the kit appeared on the website;

"...a coupe-only kit, with both stock and chopped 3-window tops and a handful of other original parts"

(partial quote as it contained confidential info)

The features listed on the website confirm this, so it appears to me that someone selected an inaccurate image from the vintage box

#20 Greg Myers

Greg Myers

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,932 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 04:39 AM

Little Deuce Coupe :lol:

0710_15z+little_deuce_coupe+front_three_