Model Cars Magazine Forum

aftermarket engines

being very new to this i am also very confused , i have noticed the amount of detail on all your engines and i look at the few i have and no way can they be as detailed as you guys have , do they have good aftermarket engines 1/24 - 25 scale , if so what is the best company for buying them .. Thanks ,Anne

The old Revell Parts Pack engines, are in my opinion, excellent (and often overlooked). They all come with optional building options included, and are available on ebay. Besides the cheap and plentiful smallblock Chevy, 427 Ford, early Cadillac OHV and Pontiac V8s, there are also the rare and expensive early Hemi and a Buick nailhead (and even a turbine).They're great engines for period builds, and if you shop, you can't beat the quality for the price.

$%28KGrHqIOKpUE4jlj+J4LBONQGb313g~~0_35.

AMT also had a variety of aftermarket engines. The most recent release looked like this.

AMT-Comp-PP-top.jpg

It includes ONE-EACH Pontiac, early Hemi, smallblock Chevy and a Corvair. They all come with two building options. Don't get snookered though...a LOT of ignorant sellers list these as coming with TWO-each of the engines. They DO NOT. The pack also includes a 1710 Allison aircracf engine from WW2 fighters like the P-40, used in offshore race boats, pulling tractors, LSR vehicles, etc. These engines build up beautifully.

There have been several issues over the years of the AMT engine kits, some in chrome, some black, some packaged in the plain-box Blueprinter series, and some in the more familiar red-white-blue. Some of them get stupid money. All the issues are the same tooling though, so if you're buying to build them, shop around.

$%28KGrHqZ,%21pQFD8e95s+hBQ+4BJmJFw~~60_AMT-BP-8158-2.jpg

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

There's also a multitude of different resin casters doing all kinds of engines and parts from flywheels and flex plates to complete engines and transmissions, blowers, hats, you name it. Parts range from copies of rare kit parts to one of a kind custom built stuff. It's hard to list all the stuff that's available in one place, you're best bet is when you're looking for a specific engine to start a thread asking who makes a ________. Chances are there's one out there somewhere. I have no idea how people found out about resin part availability before the Internet!