69 VW Bug ... 66 to 69 Bug 8/30/13 new headlights, again!

• You cannot reply to this topic
49 replies to this topic

#41 slusher

slusher

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,305 posts
  • Full Name:carl slusher

Posted 12 July 2013 - 02:37 AM

Very cool build. Awsume detail...

#42 Wonderbread Kustomz

Wonderbread Kustomz

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,916 posts
  • Full Name:James Evans

Posted 12 July 2013 - 06:32 PM

Very nice work!

#43 Foxer

Foxer

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,082 posts
  • Full Name:Mike DeRagon

Posted 30 July 2013 - 05:24 AM

A small update, but the weather had been spectacular here! Added some sheet and putty to top of dash simulating the crash padding ... some fine sanding to finish it off yet.

dashDSC_1213_zpsf0381f45.jpg

I started on making the extractor exhaust. I spent a lot of time researching and still am not 100% on how the 4-pipe EMPI system mated at the single muffler pipe. I glued four beading wire pieces, that I'm using for the pipes. together to see if crimping a piece of the bead cone shown over them would look like a collector ... maybe it will work but the group of four pipes looks way to large. I think I'll have to file a taper in each so they come together smaller. This keeps getting more and more complicated. I'd appreciate any suggestions.

The muffler pipe came out looking good at least.

mufflerDSC_1218_zps5f023446.jpg

Here's a photo of a similar exhaust and what the collector need to be. I hoped I could use some plastic tube so the four pipes would just stick in after being bent, but it might be simpler to taper and glue four straight pieces together and then bend them.

ectractorimg_0066_zps26143e39.jpg

Edited by Foxer, 30 July 2013 - 05:39 AM.

#44 Foxer

Foxer

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,082 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 04:46 AM

Been working this week ... The collector is done and time to start bending pipe!  It's a bit oversized but should be ok behind the rear apron. I'm dreading trying to get four pipes running between 8 hard points but what ya gonna do?  :D

collectorDSC_1220_zpsdede462b.jpg

collectorDSC_1221_zpsa49a0024.jpg

All the pipes will be a textured black like the 1:1 so I don't have to worry about the different materials used to make this.

Edited by Foxer, 01 August 2013 - 04:48 AM.

#45 Zarana-X

Zarana-X

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 632 posts
  • Full Name:Jason Smith

Posted 01 August 2013 - 06:20 AM

On a full size collector, the ends of the pipes have a pie cut, and the notched portions help taper the end of the collector. Replicating this may help get the end of your collector and the muffler flange to a more manageable size.

#46 Foxer

Foxer

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,082 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 07:00 AM

On a full size collector, the ends of the pipes have a pie cut, and the notched portions help taper the end of the collector. Replicating this may help get the end of your collector and the muffler flange to a more manageable size.

I did file the receiving pipes on the collector to group them closer but all the pipes are a bit oversize to start with and it just grew. All in all, though, it looks ok by eye ... as long as I can get all the pipes in the space under the body it'll be ok I believe. It looks large from the rear with just the muffler pipe on it but that will be tucked up under the body.

Thanks for the comment.

Edited by Foxer, 01 August 2013 - 07:02 AM.

#47 Foxer

Foxer

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,082 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 04:40 AM

This slowed a little here as I figure out how I'm going to handle the exhaust. The pipes I bent didn't look that great.

In the meantime, I acquired a Hasegawa 1967 Beetle kit and was surprised that the headlights (correctly for 1967) were the verticle ones I needed and also 1/24 scale so they look better than the 1/25 Revell lights! Since they gave a rounded back I had to drill out the flat surface I had to mount the Revell lights .. no biggie. They do look much better.

newHLDSC_1230_zpsa08010d5.jpg

newHLDSC_1231_zps540fd055.jpg

Edited by Foxer, 30 August 2013 - 04:41 AM.

#48 DrKerry

DrKerry

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,175 posts
  • Full Name:Kerry Ingram

Posted 30 August 2013 - 07:05 AM

Nice work!!!

#49 midnightprowler

midnightprowler

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,150 posts
  • Full Name:Lee

Posted 30 August 2013 - 11:32 AM

Sweet!

#50 Der Bugmeister

Der Bugmeister

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Full Name:Clay Cherneff

Posted 28 September 2013 - 06:46 PM

Nice work, a lot of differences between those two years!  If it's not too late, you might want to look at the front bumper bracket openings - from '68 onwards, they bolted to the outside of the body and ran through the fenders as opposed to the apron.

A couple other changes are that by '67 the voltage regulator had moved to a position under the back seat vice mounted to the generator, and the dashboard had lost the horizontal chrome strips.

Great looking upgrades.

Keep Buggin'!