#21 Monty

Monty

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,563 posts
  • Full Name:Monty

Posted 25 April 2013 - 12:35 PM

Can't find a pic now but Barris actually did have a Merc painted up like the box art car.

Didn't look anything like the kit besides the paint as all the kits were just reissues of older kits with new decals and , with 1/2 of them, all the parts missing except the ones to build what was on the box.

No new or unique parts, just another case of Barris tacking his name to anything that would stand still long enough. :rolleyes:

Ig-blankin'-zackly.  I recall being amused at the thought of poor ol' George trying to sustain his legacy by designing garish decals for model kits. 

#22 Billy_C

Billy_C

Looker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Full Name:Bill Carter

Posted 26 April 2013 - 06:58 AM

That Mercury was actually the Fabula built by Starbird. Barris refurbed it in conjunction with the "Cruisin' USA" series. Pics are from Rik Hoving's site.

Attached Files

#23 ZIL 111V

ZIL 111V

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 282 posts
  • Full Name:Paul GILL

Posted 26 April 2013 - 07:16 AM

Bad period of early AMT/Matchbox at it's best :wacko: !

Very nice kits turn sour looking in this series, as mention...at least Barris was keeping is name alive in the early 80's.  

Always wonder why the '58 Impala (Kustom parts design by Barris back in 60's) & '53 Studbaker were not in this series :huh:

#24 Maindrian Pace

Maindrian Pace

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 878 posts
  • Full Name:Mike Schnur

Posted 26 April 2013 - 01:05 PM

I built a few as a kid when they were new. I still have an unbuilt Galaxie, you could build that one close to stock except for the hub caps and hood ornament. I remember being really frosted that the GP didn't contain the stock bumpers and a few other parts, mainly because the custom stuff was so downright ugly. And no Modelhaus back then to save the day.

-MJS

#25 Mark

Mark

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 01:31 PM

That Mercury was actually the Fabula built by Starbird. Barris refurbed it in conjunction with the "Cruisin' USA" series. Pics are from Rik Hoving's site.

The "Cruisin' Merc" appeared briefly in the H.B. Halicki movie "The Junkman" (his follow-up to the original "Gone In 60 Seconds").  I saw it at an ISCA show around the same time.  New paint, old dirty, raggedy interior. 

#26 Lunajammer

Lunajammer

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts
  • Full Name:Mike Laliberte

Posted 26 April 2013 - 05:26 PM

I remember getting into the hobby as a kid in  the 1980's. Hate to say it, these pictures pushed me away from buying these. I remember thinking "where are all the stock versions of these" not knowing you could build these stock.

I've had the '65 GP, still sealed, for almost 25 years because shortly after grabbing it in a club trade I was told you can't build it stock :( .

Just last year I got a later release and all the stock and custom parts are there. Surely it must be the same in the Cruisin' series?

#27 Mark

Mark

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 01:24 AM

The twelve kits were issued in three groups of four.  The first two groups included all of the parts that were in earlier issues of the kits.  Some ('40 Ford coupe, '63 Corvette) were being sold in other boxes with different tires and decals alongside the Cruisin' USA issues.  The Cruisin' USA '40 Ford coupe instruction sheet showed only the parts needed for that version, while the alternate kit showed only the stock version in the instructions and box art.

The final group of four kits ('70 Impala, '65 Galaxie, '65 Grand Prix, '65 Riviera) included only the parts needed to build the Cruisin' version as shown on the box.  That bonehead play reflected Lesney's influence over AMT (though the original AMT company had done things like that on occasion, as in the Elegance Series).

#28 Don Sikora II

Don Sikora II

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 02:21 AM

Yeah, there was a dry transfer decal thing going on for a while in the '80s. I had/have some AMT 1/25-snap kits with them (Cheverra Camaro, Mazda RX-7, Mikado RX-7) too. Jo-Han flirted with dry transfers too. The first Petty Superbird I had in the '80s had them, and I have a Heavenly Hearse with them too.  I'm glad they never really caught on.

#29 cooltoys1

cooltoys1

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts
  • Full Name:Jay Ignatjew

Posted 29 April 2013 - 11:50 AM

Im slightly embarrased to say i have them all in sealed condition.  Whoes me...

#30 Custom Hearse

Custom Hearse

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,842 posts
  • Full Name:Marshall Glasgow

Posted 29 April 2013 - 05:49 PM

Yes, the decals are not the greatest, but some of the kits were nice to build. Out of all the kits shown, I built the 53 Ford pickup, the 51 Chevy, the 49 Merc, 'the 63 Stingray, the 70 Impala, and my favorite was the 66 Mustang. And like all kits of that era, they had there little drawbacks, but they helped me learn how to improve my building and customizing techniques. Without those kits, where would the hobby be now... ;)

Edited by Custom Hearse, 29 April 2013 - 05:50 PM.

#31 Custom Hearse

Custom Hearse

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,842 posts
  • Full Name:Marshall Glasgow

Posted 29 April 2013 - 05:51 PM

Im slightly embarrased to say i have them all in sealed condition.  Whoes me...

:lol:

#32 MAGNUM4342

MAGNUM4342

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts
  • Full Name:Kevin White

Posted 09 September 2013 - 05:57 PM

Bottom line with these kits is, they are all nice subjects...until Barris put his name on them...period.

#33 MsDano85gt

MsDano85gt

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts
  • Full Name:Daniel Conway

Posted 09 September 2013 - 10:54 PM

I've got a 49 merc in my stash, the prismatic sticker was not chrome, I was missing my dry transfer decals, and I had extra tires and a complete extra set of glass, guess the boxers at the time were not accurate? "people" perhaps instead of machines??

#34 rustbucket82

rustbucket82

MCM Regular

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  • Full Name:Jared Wagner

Posted 10 September 2013 - 12:54 AM

Bottom line with these kits is, they are all nice subjects...until Barris put his name on them...period.

Agreed.

#35 Eshaver

Eshaver

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,869 posts
  • Full Name:Ed Shaver

Posted 10 September 2013 - 01:50 AM

RIGHT ON brutha !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#36 Blown03SVT

Blown03SVT

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts
  • Full Name:Eric Terry

Posted 10 September 2013 - 03:58 AM

Mr. Barris is nothing more than a promoter IMO. The Barris name is known for the amazing work his brother Sam did, as well as Dean Jefferies who worked for Barris for awhile. I have seen these kits at swap meets and flea markets and always steered clear because of the garish box art. Nice to know there is actually something worth while in the boxes.

#37 thatz4u

thatz4u

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts
  • Full Name:Al Rich

Posted 10 September 2013 - 06:57 AM

;)  I have the 49 Ford & the 51 Chevy from this series & they're both going to the Southlandz swap meet in Nov.

#38 59 Impala

59 Impala

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 995 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 03:33 PM

I have the 51 Chevy, 65 Ford, 49 Merc, 53 Ford truck and the 50 Ford.  The 50 Ford does not have the half top shown on the box top.  That made me put the kit back in the box and rob parts from it for other builds.  Very poor of AMT to put these kits out the way they did, in my opinion.  Dan

Edited by 59 Impala, 10 September 2013 - 03:34 PM.

#39 mrknowetall

mrknowetall

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • Full Name:Don Banes

Posted 11 September 2013 - 07:29 AM

I've been known to peddle model cars at various local swap meets, and I can say that the "Cruisin" series kits are impossible to sell! 

#40 plowboy

plowboy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,417 posts
  • Full Name:Roger Hayes

Posted 11 September 2013 - 08:05 AM

I've been known to peddle model cars at various local swap meets, and I can say that the "Cruisin" series kits are impossible to sell! 

If you have the '65 Grand Prix, send me a PM.