Looking at other forums makes me wonder, what other hobbies do you have?

• You cannot reply to this topic
114 replies to this topic

#101 futurattraction

futurattraction

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,172 posts
  • Full Name:Scott Popham

Posted 02 May 2013 - 06:17 AM

Besides modeling, I also like to:

1. Collect WWII Army Air Force militaria, i.e., uniforms, caps, uniform wings and airplane parts.  A couple of the more unique pieces of my collection include an armored plate glass window out of a B-17 tailgunner's position and a salvaged ring sight off a .50 cal machine gun from a wreck in the states during the war.

2. Collect books and videos about the 8th Air Force/B-17s/personal accounts from WWII.

3. Sing - God gave me the ability to sing, so I am a member of our church worship team and I also sing baritone in our local men's barbershop chorus.

4. Follow the Minnesota Twins baseball team.  I've been a Twins fan since 1967, when I was 11.

5. Help my wife with her antique metal head doll collection.  I do the photography for her as she has written some articles published in the Antique Doll Collector magazine.  She is also writing a book about metal head dolls and I have done, and will do, the photography for that - a major undertaking, as it will contain several hundred pictures.  While she knows considerably more, I've learned a lot about them.

Edited by futurattraction, 02 May 2013 - 06:18 AM.

#102 gtx6970

gtx6970

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,881 posts
  • Full Name:Bill Allphin

Posted 02 May 2013 - 06:23 AM

Besides models, I also collect dealership promotionals ( Mopar only btw )

I own my own shop to repair cars - restore vintage cars .  So I get to work on toy cars as well as the big ones. Best part is I get to spend other peoples money for the big ones. The little ones sadly  it comes out of my pocket.

Edited by gtx6970, 02 May 2013 - 06:23 AM.

#103 DrKerry

DrKerry

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,949 posts
  • Full Name:Kerry Ingram

Posted 02 May 2013 - 07:14 AM

Kool beans Scott, my fgather in law was a boom operator in a KC-130 until he retired about six years ago.

#104 wgflatliner

wgflatliner

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts
  • Full Name:Mark Thompson

Posted 02 May 2013 - 02:18 PM

my other hobby is working on my 1:1 project car.  been working on it for about 8 years, literally paycheck to paycheck.

#105 Mr Dedo

Mr Dedo

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • Full Name:Jeff Petty

Posted 02 May 2013 - 04:21 PM

Building and refinishing furniture,

researching in order to restore architectural

details on older residences,

collect and use local cookbooks

from travels, photo and videography.

Do my two grandchildren count?

#106 DPNM

DPNM

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • Full Name:Jim Sulli van

Posted 04 May 2013 - 05:19 AM

I am into quite a few things. Most anything to do with wheels and a motor, cars, motorcycles/trucks. I collect airbrushes. Buy and sell on feeBay. I got a high speed engraver that I hope to relearn (had one a while back) and I'd like to make some side cash with it. I am a hockey fan in general and a Penguins fan in particular (hence part of my signature) with a small collection of jerseys.

I have a bad habit of getting into something and then going "Whole-Hog". I buy stuff and then when I need cash, well, there it goes. I have a newer job that takes a lot of my time so I haven't had a chance to do much besides work and spend money (yep, it's been an upside time right now. The down side time will follow).

#107 Pete J.

Pete J.

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,537 posts
  • Full Name:Pete Johnson

Posted 04 May 2013 - 05:41 AM

Kool beans Scott, my fgather in law was a boom operator in a KC-130 until he retired about six years ago.

Just out of curiosity, did you mean KC-135?  The 130 doesn't have a boom to my knowledge.  It has dual probe and drogues in the wings.  Just asking because I spent 10 years in the 70's as a pilot in 135's.  The Boomer on a 135 is also a load master. 

#108 Nacho Z

Nacho Z

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts
  • Full Name:John Brolin

Posted 04 May 2013 - 05:57 AM

The only other thing that I spend a great deal of time on, (not sure if it would be a "hobby"), is bike riding.  Like DPNM said a few posts up, I tend to go whole-hog on things so I limit myself.  My wife and I discovered rails-to-trails and ride every chance we get.  We have rode from DC to Pittsburgh twice now on the C&O Canal and Great Allegheny Passage, GAP.  It is around 350 miles in length.  We have been kicking around the idea of making a "bucket list" item of riding at least one trail in all of the 48 lower states.  We'll see what happens.  It is not only a money issue but a time issue.

#109 DrKerry

DrKerry

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,949 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 06:33 AM

Just out of curiosity, did you mean KC-135?  The 130 doesn't have a boom to my knowledge.  It has dual probe and drogues in the wings.  Just asking because I spent 10 years in the 70's as a pilot in 135's.  The Boomer on a 135 is also a load master. 

Oh, duh, yeah your right it was a kc-135. He flew out of Chicago and then the whole 126 was transferred to Scott Air Force Base. He's been to Germany many times and the first crew to Desert Shield/Storm. He was in the 126th ARF. My wife said he was flying in the late 60's to the early 90's.

#110 dartman

dartman

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 02:55 PM

My main hobby other than model building is woodturning.I do anything frome pens to bowls and many other spinny

things in between.

#111 LOBBS

LOBBS

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts
  • Full Name:Kyle "LOBBS" Laubscher

Posted 13 May 2013 - 10:32 PM

I am a developer for Android apps in the Google Play Store.  I have several icon packs and clocks that people can download and customize their smartphones or tablets with.

https://play.google....eloper?id=LOBBS

2013-05-06_22-37-05_zps094830ab.png

2013-05-06_22-37-13_zps19215680.png

2013-04-27_18-18-23_zpsdea5501e.png

2013-04-27_18-18-32_zpsd4b941e4.png

Edited by LOBBS, 14 May 2013 - 10:10 PM.

#112 DrKerry

DrKerry

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,949 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 03:57 AM

Kyle? You da man!!!! Kool stuff!!!!

#113 LOBBS

LOBBS

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 02:30 PM

Kyle? You da man!!!! Kool stuff!!!!

Thanks for the kind words Kerry.

#114 Quick GMC

Quick GMC

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 796 posts
  • Full Name:Cameron DeMille

Posted 14 May 2013 - 03:06 PM

I'll be checking that out tonight for my Galaxy, thanks for the heads up!

#115 LOBBS

LOBBS

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 03:33 PM

I'll be checking that out tonight for my Galaxy, thanks for the heads up!

If you need any help getting set up, just let me know.