#1 clovis

clovis

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts
  • Full Name:Jeff Jackson

Posted 04 May 2013 - 05:30 PM

I am returning to the hobby after a 25+ year hiatus.

I have a lot to learn.

Somewhere on the net, maybe here, I saw a tip about how a modeler should scribe the factory panel lines for more realism. These lines are around the fenders and the trunk.

How is this best accomplished? Use an X-acto knife? Should I use the back side of the blade, and just start pulling it along the lines?

How deep should I go with the scribed lines?

This body is pretty thick...the AMT 1:16 Mustang.

Thank you in advance!!!!!!! I appreciate your help!!!! I'm hoping this is my best build ever... 

#2 my80malibu

my80malibu

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,727 posts
  • Full Name:Gabriel Soto

Posted 04 May 2013 - 05:44 PM

The Exacto knife edge is pretty good for starting out. Use a blade with a broken tip, and use the dull back side, gently pull along the panel line to establish a pattern.On a 1/25 scale model it takes me about 3 to 4 passes on a 1/16 probably double that.

#3 martinfan5

martinfan5

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,407 posts
  • Full Name:Jonathan Stephens

Posted 04 May 2013 - 06:24 PM

The Exacto knife edge is pretty good for starting out. Use a blade with a broken tip, and use the dull back side, gently pull along the panel line to establish a pattern.On a 1/25 scale model it takes me about 3 to 4 passes on a 1/16 probably double that.

Thats what I do, it works very well

#4 plowboy

plowboy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,729 posts
  • Full Name:Roger Hayes

Posted 04 May 2013 - 06:31 PM

I use a razor saw to deepen my panel lines. You get a much finer,straighter cleaner line with a razor saw than you will with an Xacto blade. A razor saw also won't jump outside of the lines or veer off and make wide spots in the lines. The only time I use an Xacto blade is on tight round corners and then, I use a new one or one that still has a sharp tip. I scribe my lines until they are almost through. 

#5 Pete J.

Pete J.

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,663 posts
  • Full Name:Pete Johnson

Posted 04 May 2013 - 06:35 PM

I have probably owned and tried just about every scriber out there and this is far and away my go too tool when I need to work panel lines.  It is easy to control and cuts with a really sharp tool.

http://umm-usa.com/o...products_id=474

#6 my80malibu

my80malibu

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,727 posts
  • Full Name:Gabriel Soto

Posted 04 May 2013 - 08:09 PM

I have probably owned and tried just about every scriber out there and this is far and away my go too tool when I need to work panel lines.  It is easy to control and cuts with a really sharp tool.

http://umm-usa.com/o...products_id=474

That scriber looks reall cool.

#7 clovis

clovis

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 05:09 PM

Thank you for the replies!!!!!!!

They are appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#8 Blown03SVT

Blown03SVT

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts
  • Full Name:Eric Terry

Posted 06 May 2013 - 01:55 AM

I have a double ended scriber that was made by Squadron years ago (the only one I can find now are single ended). Looks like a dental pick/ scriber (probably is). The one side has been filed to a narrower, sharper for trying to keep line narrow and the other is as shipped. The gives me options depending on what I am working on. I have also used a razor saw succesfully as well as the back side of a #11 blade. Again with the blade I give it a few swipes on the backside at about a 45* angle with a flat file to narrow it just a touch. I have had issues in the past where scribing has lead to panel lines that looked like they would be about .5" in 1/25th scale, so I narrow the tools to give a finer line. On a 1/16th scale that shouldn't be much issue though

Of note... go slow and light. I have never not been able to scribe panel lines with out having at least one jump out the groove that I have had to fill. The lightness of hand mitigates the severity of the opps make the repair much easier.

Edited by Blown03SVT, 07 May 2013 - 04:37 AM.

#9 meaneyme

meaneyme

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 03:31 AM

There was an article that Cruz wrote for the mag not long ago, perhaps he can chime in and tell you about it. I will send him a PM....

#10 cruz

cruz

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,643 posts
  • Full Name:Marcos Cruz

Posted 07 May 2013 - 05:04 AM

The article is in the tips, tricks and tutorials section already, I just put it in!! ;)

#11 clovis

clovis

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 05:16 AM

Thanks guys!!!!!