34 replies to this topic

#21 Scott Colmer

Scott Colmer

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 631 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 05:00 AM

The HOT ROD magazine contests and kit re-rereleases are some of my favorites. Throw in the R&C and Street Rodder coverage as well. 

#22 glusnifr

glusnifr

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts
  • Full Name:jim white

Posted 25 August 2013 - 05:18 AM

how about this right here,..great forums..as a kid i always built alone,.. never really knew what anyone else was doing ...now we get to share anything we're working on ,,,get inspired by the eye candy others share with us ,,ask questions ,learn new ways of doing everthing ,,get great opportunitys to trade for kits or parts ,,..and to understand that we are not alone  .doing what we love  with this forum and youtube im having my favorite modeling times right now ,and i've been building on and off since the sixtys so thats saying something.....just my 2 cents worth...jim

#23 Art Anderson

Art Anderson

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,093 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 05:33 AM

Hmmm, great moments?

It's hard to pick just one, but I can think of several:

While the first few model cars I built were, uh, OK, as they were a pastime for a very bored kid forced to spend a lot of quiet time recuperating from rheumatic fever...but things sort of took off when I was given my first 1/25 scale kits--merely knocked-down AMT promo's ('54 Pontiac Star Chief Catalina, '54 Ford Crestline Convertible and a '54 Studebaker Commander hardtop)--those were model cars that my 10yr old hands built, and they were sturdy enough for quiet play on the floor (nothing like revving up the flywheel--friction--motors and making black tire mark burnouts on Mom's freshly mopped and waxed kitchen floor!

The coming of AMT 3in1 customizing kits in 1958--those were cool!  By then, Testors' little square bottles of paint were in the variety store where I got my AMT kits, and life became even cooler!  

Summer of 1959:  AMT's '32 Ford Roadster, the scion of that neat family of Trophy Series kits, along with the '40 Ford coupe, and the release by Pactra of their first  Soft Spray 'Namel rattle cans--now I could (in my 15yr old mind anyway) do paint jobs on model cars to rival anything in a new car showroom (Oh well, at least I thought so!).

Fall 1961, and the first kit I bought at built many of--the AMT '25 T Double Kit--now that was a model car kit!

Labor Day weekend in 1962 and going to Indianapolis, to the Murat Shrine Temple to see the NHRA Hot Rod & Custom show (an event back then which piggybacked onto the NHRA National Drags out at Indianapolis Raceway Park), seeing and snagging the first of Revell's Challenger I, Roth's Outlaw and their '56 Ford F100 pickup.  But the real highlight was meeting and getting to talk with THE KAT from AMT himself, Budd Anderson (same last name as me, but no relation)--now that was a happening any model car builder back then would have jumped at the chance to be a part of).

In 1975, being asked to build "box art" models by AMT Corporation--that was hard work, but often a lot of fun, and certainly neat to show my wife and family the results of my work on store shelves around here.  The "inside looks" at AMT and learning a lot about what it took to design and tool a model kit was fascinating.

In the very early 1980's, sensing the rebirth (almost from what seemed to me in the waning years of the 70's the death and burial of this hobby) of model car building, with the coming of Scale Auto Enthusiast, and the renewed stream of very nicely done model car kits.

A lot of milestones, a lot of "model car minutes" down through the past 60 or so years for me, to be sure!

Art

#24 Dr. Cranky

Dr. Cranky

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,422 posts
  • Full Name:Virgil "Doctor Cranky" Suarez

Posted 25 August 2013 - 05:47 AM

For me one of the best moments was discovering PAT COVERT's book and work and realizing that I had already wasted too much time not coming back to the hobby.

The other personal moments occurred when decided to come back to the hobby and I walked into a Wal Mart and saw the AMT 1950 "STREET MACHINE" Chevy Pick Up.  That kit really a number on me in a positive way, of course.

#25 Daddyfink

Daddyfink

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,424 posts
  • Full Name:Jesse Chavez

Posted 25 August 2013 - 05:58 AM

The Internet

#26 bbowser

bbowser

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,435 posts
  • Full Name:Bruce Bowser

Posted 25 August 2013 - 07:19 AM

For me, it was the Monogram NASCAR kits in the 80s and 90s that brought me back to the fold.  I'd built (glue-bombed) a ton of kits as a kid in the 60s but forgot all about it until after divorce left me with some free time, and my passion for Winston Cup racing brought it all back.  Now it's mostly replica stock builds, and this and other boards on the 'net have brought me in contact with many others sharing this crazy hobby.

#27 421gto

421gto

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Full Name:Simon Webber

Posted 25 August 2013 - 08:05 AM

Looking back, seeing as I'm on the other side of the pond to most of you, it was Street Machine mag, who back in the early/mid ?? 80s added the small talk section to the mag. Opened up my eyes to what other people was building.

#28 rel14

rel14

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts
  • Full Name:Randy Layman

Posted 25 August 2013 - 12:31 PM

I. myself think everyday,  since i started buying models with my lawn mowing money in the 60's is a great moment,,  There

are to many moments in modeling,  to pick out the great ones,,,,  it just keeps getting better,,,   

#29 hpiguy

hpiguy

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • Full Name:Chris Phillips

Posted 25 August 2013 - 12:52 PM

The Internet

Agreed. The plethora of information on building, videos, and sourcing supplies/kits from around the world with our fingertips has moved modelling from the limits of each of our towns to a worldwide community.

#30 Richard Bartrop

Richard Bartrop

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • Full Name:Richard Bartrop

Posted 25 August 2013 - 01:28 PM

Maybe not a great moment, but a significant one was when the car companies stopped wanting promotional models.  I don't think enough attention has been given to the fact that the model companies could crank out so many different kits because the promo contracts subsidized the cost of a set of moulds.   I've seen lots of theories tossed about why the model industry took a downturn in the 70's, but I think the real answer is that Detroit was no longer covering the costs.

#31 uncle potts

uncle potts

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 462 posts
  • Full Name:paul cowell

Posted 25 August 2013 - 02:44 PM

When my Grandmother bought me my first model, then in the early 80's discovering Scale Auto, and realizing I wasn't the only kid that grew up and still kept building. And then a couple of years ago discovering this forum. Those are a few of the highlights for me.

Paul

#32 LDO

LDO

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,603 posts
  • Full Name:Lee

Posted 25 August 2013 - 02:45 PM

Personal milestones:

Discovering SAE in 1988, along with the articles that really fascinated me, like Mark Gustavson's "Mercari", and later in Car Modeler, his "Custom Clinic" series. As a huge fan of lead sleds, that series of articles was just incredible. Chopping, channeling, sectioning, hammering brass...and above all, doing it with a sense of style and balance. Not building a car with mail-slot windows "so they'll know it's chopped". I was also inspired by the Hot Rod Magazine contest coverage. I had always lived in small towns, never being exposed to new ideas in modeling, and I remember being blown away when I read that one of those cars had a custom tail light carved from a toothbrush. Radical stuff for a high schooler before the internet age.

For the industry, I'd have to agree with the poster who mentioned AMT's '66 Nova. It set a new standard, and was followed by others like Revell/Monogram's '59 Cadillac and '69 Camaro.

Bummer milestone: Car Modeler going out of print.

Edited by LDO, 25 August 2013 - 02:48 PM.

#33 Tom Geiger

Tom Geiger

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,624 posts
  • Full Name:Tom Geiger

Posted 25 August 2013 - 03:00 PM

Great moments?

1. The invention of the Internet!  At first thought as something that would kill the hobby, it turned out to be the exact opposite, putting modelers from around the world in daily contact through message boards and email exchanges.  Never before was so much collaboration and research material available. Have a question? Get almost instant response from knowledgable modelers.  Need a rare and obscure part? Just ask.

2. The invention of digital photography.  It gives everyone the ability to take good photos and share them with the world. Some of us never got the hang of old film photography, and those who would take pictures at shows could only take 24 or 48 due to the size of rolls and expense of processing it. Now we take literally 100s of pictures at shows!  And that information is on the Internet that very evening!  And we never had the ability to take in progress built photos.  Now we can follow along and watch the masters build, step by step.  Amazing.

3.  eBay.  A funny thing happens when you take all the collectibles in the world and put them in a single searchable database.  What was once rare and obscure is now obtainable if you are patient and bid high enough. We all own kits we never saw before in person due to eBay.

#34 zenrat

zenrat

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 884 posts
  • Full Name:Fred Maillardet

Posted 25 August 2013 - 04:59 PM

What Tom said.

Plus 4.  Payment via the interweb.  Remember sending cheques off in envelopes?

#35 blunc

blunc

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts
  • Full Name:mike cassidy

Posted 25 August 2013 - 07:42 PM

I consider THe GSL contest to be a milestone, a place where talented modelers get to meet, share techniques and...of course take measure of their skills against other modelers.

I may actually get to go someday.