$0.49 ? What happened to these ? Where's the dragster ?

Monogram 49ers

• You cannot reply to this topic
52 replies to this topic

#41 slusher

slusher

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,946 posts
  • Full Name:carl slusher

Posted 20 October 2013 - 08:05 PM

Yea! Summer of 1976.  My 2 buddies and I would go cruising. We'd each chip in a dollar for gas, get 6 gallons and cruise all night on it. Didn't matter who drove,  my '66 Valiant, my friends '70 Maverick or '66 Mustang. All six cylinder cars, that still didn't get anywhere near the gas mileage of current cars.

We'd get quarts of Miller and Bud for 65 cents and we'd drive around, each with one on our lap. Try that today!  :D

Tom or someone tell me if l remember right, in 1976 l was 11 and gas l think in chicago where l lived was 55 or 70 cents a gallon. Cigarettes was 55 cents a pack and model kits was 2.50 cents. l can never remember how much glue and testor spray paint was. l had to walk to the candy stor for cigarettes for my mom and dad.

#42 John Goschke

John Goschke

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 04:06 AM

I remember when the AMT annuals were .49 cents. H.L. Greens used to have half off sales at the end of the year, and I would leave with 2 shopping carts full of kits.

Retail price on AMT annual kits, when they first came out in 1958, was $1.39. Stayed there through 1960 except for the '60 T-bird, Corvette, and Buick which had engines, and were priced at $1.49. The pickup trucks were more expensive I think, perhaps $1.98 or $2.00. Starting in '61 most annuals had engines and were priced at $1.49. Compact without engines were $1.39. Styline and later "Advanced Customizing" kits were $2.00. When Johan annuals came out for the first time 1959 they were priced at $1.49. In general those prices held till sometime in the mid-late '60s when they started to rise.

No annual kit was ever offered at a retail price of $.49.  Even at half price they wouldn't have been 49 cents (or, as you say, .49 cents, which is actually less than half a penny!), unless some store was offering a serious close-out sale!

#43 Greg Myers

Greg Myers

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,792 posts
  • Full Name:Gregory Myers

Posted 21 October 2013 - 04:54 AM

Retail price on AMT annual kits, when they first came out in 1958, was $1.39. Stayed there through 1960 except for the '60 T-bird, Corvette, and Buick which had engines, and were priced at $1.49. The pickup trucks were more expensive I think, perhaps $1.98 or $2.00. Starting in '61 most annuals had engines and were priced at $1.49. Compact without engines were $1.39. Styline and later "Advanced Customizing" kits were $2.00. When Johan annuals came out for the first time 1959 they were priced at $1.49. In general those prices held till sometime in the mid-late '60s when they started to rise.

No annual kit was ever offered at a retail price of $.49.  Even at half price they wouldn't have been 49 cents (or, as you say, .49 cents, which is actually less than half a penny!), unless some store was offering a serious close-out sale!

Who would have thunk this wood turn in2 a math class ? sums25eq.jpg

#44 Greg Myers

Greg Myers

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,792 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 04:56 AM

Oooop, wrong picture  :P

10544826-pretty-young-college-student-wr

#45 doctor phillips

doctor phillips

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Full Name:Doc Phillips

Posted 21 October 2013 - 05:01 AM

Purdy dang funny, Greg. The second picture is MUCH better!! People didn't look like that in my math class.... (if they did... I wouldn't have hated it so much!)

#46 John Goschke

John Goschke

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 05:23 AM

Heck, I just want one of those magical selective nostalgia time machines so I can go back and get a half dozen '61 Ford pickup kits, a half dozen '61 Buick hardtop kits, and a dozen '61 Dodge and Plymouth kits for "point-forty-nine cents" each!

#47 Randytheroadrunner

Randytheroadrunner

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 234 posts
  • Full Name:Randy Earle

Posted 21 October 2013 - 06:18 AM

Sorry, I had a senior moment. It was $1.49.

#48 checkmate

checkmate

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts
  • Full Name:Rob Burns

Posted 21 October 2013 - 03:28 PM

So is driving on the wrong side of the road..... ;-)

I don't know Mike driving on the wrong side of the road might get your heart racing a bit mate, depending on how busy the road is. ;)

As Scummy mentioned please don't judge all Aussie modelllers by the comments of one bitter individual, thankfully his other comment was removed. I love the history of the hobby and where it evolved from it's a pity things aren't as cheap and as simply as they were all those years ago. If things were that cheap still it might make it a bit cheaper and easier to collect old van kits. :D

Edited by checkmate, 21 October 2013 - 03:38 PM.

#49 ToyLvr

ToyLvr

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 598 posts
  • Full Name:Mike Adams

Posted 21 October 2013 - 03:48 PM

I don't know Mike driving on the wrong side of the road might get your heart racing a bit mate, depending on how busy the road is. ;)

As Scummy mentioned please don't judge all Aussie modelllers by the comments of one bitter individual, thankfully his other comment was removed. I love the history of the hobby and where it evolved from it's a pity things aren't as cheap and as simply as they were all those years ago. If things were that cheap still it might make it a bit cheaper and easier to collect old van kits. :D

Rob:

I've driven on the wrong side a few times, but not in a country where it's considered the norm. ;-)

No offense taken at our Aussie friends (although CJ1971 might have taken offense at my weak attempt at humor).

I think we'd all be so much happier if the price of kits was more reasonable as in the old days. However, I think the divorce rate amongst married Modelers would increase exponentially. :-0

#50 Tom Geiger

Tom Geiger

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,459 posts
  • Full Name:Tom Geiger

Posted 21 October 2013 - 04:05 PM

I've driven on the wrong side a few times, but not in a country where it's considered the norm. ;-)

want to get totally confused?  Go to the US Virgin Islands.  In St Thomas they drive US spec left hand drive cars on the left side of the road!  It took a bit to get used to, and you couldn't daydream when driving since your instinct was to go back to the right side of the road. Below is the Jeep I rented on their "correct" side of the road. 

DSC00085-vi.jpg

Edited by Tom Geiger, 21 October 2013 - 04:07 PM.

#51 Greg Myers

Greg Myers

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,792 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 05:04 AM

Wrong side for 25 years.  B) Worman1953USMail400.JPG

#52 KingSix

KingSix

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts
  • Full Name:Dan Barrett

Posted 22 October 2013 - 05:19 AM

I have a ton of great memories coming back since I've come back to modeling . My older brothers were into building & that's what got me started . Fast forward 30 years & one of my brothers has since passed away, but is never to far from my thoughts. I always think of him & how he'd build . This isn't a sad thing at all , rather it makes me very happy ..

#53 Chuck Most

Chuck Most

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,100 posts
  • Full Name:^See Above

Posted 27 October 2013 - 11:39 PM

As Scummy mentioned please don't judge all Aussie modelllers by the comments of one bitter individual, thankfully his other comment was removed.

Please- you and Scummy don't need to apologize for guys like him. All over the world you Aussies are known for your laid-back, carefree, friendly  attitude. But even going in thinking that, we all know there are exceptions to every rule... Mr. Angrypants there being one of 'em.  B)