2 replies to this topic

#1 gasman

gasman

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 690 posts

Posted 10 July 2006 - 06:16 PM

anyone know what wheels would be correct for use on an Open Road Camper using the AMT 72 Chevy pickup kit, I know i'm going to have to use a duelly style wheel setup, but I would like it be correct for 1972.

#2 gowjobs

gowjobs

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 10 July 2006 - 07:08 PM

Not all of those late sixties/early seventies motorhoms went for duals. My folks had a Class A motorhome on a '68 Dodge chassis that rolled on 10" wide 16.5's. Try some eight or twelve lug steel wheels (early modified?) to replicate this look.

The steel dually wheels on the Monogram Ford F-350 are probably as close as you're liable to get to period rolling stock in duals - paint them white and use the off road-type tires like on the Monogram CJ-7, Bronco or Ramcharger to replicate what most campers were rolling around on.

#3 mikemodeler

mikemodeler

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,950 posts
  • Full Name:Classified

Posted 11 July 2006 - 01:37 AM

You can also check with the Modelhaus as they have a 1 ton wheel & tire combo that comes unplated. It does represent a late model look though.

If you have one of the earlier re-releases of this kit (yellow & white truck on the box cover), it should have the original style wheel covers and I have seen a build up using those along with the camper.

Let us see it when it is done.

Mike