This project started by receiving an unsolicited resin '27 roadster body in the mail one day from my pal Jon Ferren. Tucked inside was a short note reading, “Thought you could make something cool out of this – Jon.”
Like most (all?) of us, I already had plenty of projects needing attention but decided to show my appreciation for Jon's gesture by getting to work right away on making something out of the body. The body was originally intended to be used on the new Monogram / Revell Slingster dragster kit. Having just built the one Slingster I had before receiving this body, I had to come up with an alternative starting point for the chassis. The only thing I had on hand was an unbuilt Double Dragster rail so that's where I started.
AMT Double Dragster frame modified with re-worked bars in cowl area to better fit T body. New seem-less front cross member made from 1/8” tube.
AMT '57 Chevy '409 engine block, heads and valve covers. Axle holes in block filled.
AMT Chevy parts pack bell housing and direct-drive “in/out” gear box.
AMT Chevy parts pack chrome oil pan and Potvin super charger modified to fit '409. Double Dragster magneto wired.
AMT Double Dragster headers - drilled.
Revell '32 5-Window Moon fuel tank with re-clocked brackets. Fuel system plumbed.
Revell Orange Crate front axle and suspension parts with scratch built steering link.
AMT Double Dragster quick change rear axle.
Revell Tony Nancy 22 Jr. front wheels and tires.
AMT New '33 Willys Halibrand 5-spoke rear wheels and AMT parts pack slicks.
Altered States '27 Roadster dragster resin body.
AMT Double Dragster seat, parachute, dash board, tachometer and steering wheel with Revell Tweedy Pie gauge decals and photo etch bezels.
Testors 1-coat Fiery Orange paint with miscellaneous decals.
Here's the beginnings of my newest hack & whack job. I've seen a number of people attempt to make these trucks fender-less over the years and have had it in my mind for a while now to take a stab at it. Only time will tell of it works out or not.
So far I removed all of the extra junk hanging off of the frame rails, Z'd the frame just behind the cab while at the same time losing 1/2" out of the wheelbase to bring the rear wheels forward. The cab lost about 1/8" off it's lower edge, 1/4" right out of the middle, 3/16" out of the height of the roof and 1/4" channel the full thickness of the frame. The bed lost 1/2" out of the middle. Wheels and rear tires are '41 Lincoln and the planned motor is the Caddy out of the Revell '49 Merc.