Hi everyone. I haven't forgot about these old dogs, so here's a quick little update...
I say sort of because this little side project has opened a brand new can of worms. Before I get into that, first things first. Here's the original Bulldog Number One.
This is the same chassis pictured above with a fresh coat of Rust Oleum satin black. I swapped out the original cab for one donated by a mixer that I wiped the tampo printed logos off of. The same mixer also donated it's wheels and rear suspension. I really dig the no-nonsense ready-to-work look. Only modifications were a few additional paint details. I removed the air cleaner and painted the inlet duct flat black to match the real trucks. I also trimmed the turn signals with silver and gave the hood ornament a proper coat of gold. All Mack parts here! To finish it up, I painted the rear axle flanges black. They come chrome on most First Gear trucks, and if they were moon caps, I'd have left them. The chrome flange doesn't work for me.
In doing that, it inspired me to break out Bulldog Number two.
This was one of the original 3 beaters I purchased that I never did anything with. So, it got the same treatment as the one above. Stripped down, cleaned up, and a fresh coat of the same Rust Oleum. I also swapped cabs on this one, from yet another mixer. Another mixer donated it's rear suspension and wheels as well. This one is only temporary, as I'm eyeing up another cab donor for it. It's tough to beat the paint on these things, so I like swapping cabs to do color changes. This one doesn't have a stack on it yet for that reason. This one also got the same paint details, along with the front wheel hubs getting it as well.
I've also worked on whipping up a few additional details. First up, a cab guard. I was going for something that looked like it would have been fabbed up by a construction company's shop for their new truck. It's all Plastruct square rod and sheet with some mesh added to the window opening. The beacon is AMT. This will be painted with the same black as the chassis.
I also fabbed up a behind the cab wet tank. This chassis originally had one, but it was long gone when I got it. First Gear installs them on tractors paired with dump trailers. Sides are mudflaps donated by a mixer (see the theme here?) and the rest is just bits of scrap sheet. A little more body filler, sanding, paint, and a fill cap and it should do the trick.
And last but not least...Bulldog Number ? I haven't decided when this one will get done or what order that will be in, but I couldn't resist tearing into it. This was yet ANOTHER mixer that I removed the barrel from. It's slated to become a water truck. I picked this one because a friend of mine has a 1:1 DM600 water truck that was a faded baby blue when he got it, reminiscent of this one, and it was also a former mixer. Real former mixers are popular for water truck builds due to the front mount PTO. I already wiped the graphics from this one, and added the grille guard from one of the other mixers that donated other parts.
And one more for fun.
Part of the draw for these is that they're so easy to tweak and re tweak as desired. The other part was I got a killer deal on six of the already mentioned mixers recently. I ordered doubles of two of them for my collection, and the rest are fair game. Some will be plucked for parts and others will be transformed into other trucks. I also haven't forgotten about the original cab pictured above. It's getting a fresh coat of paint and a new chassis that's still to be determined. Stay tuned! Thanks for looking!