Jump to content


JayVee

Member Since 23 Jul 2006
Offline Last Active Jun 10 2013 03:25 AM
-----

Topics I've Started

Anglia street rod

16 May 2009 - 03:59 PM

Here are some photos of this Anglia that I just finished. Check out the pics when you get a chance. The headlights are from the Deuce Coupe kit, and the other kitbashing details are in this thread:

In-progress thread

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Anglia street rod

13 April 2009 - 04:46 PM

I've always liked this model kit (and the Thames panel truck, too) so I picked up one of each. I wanted to try building them in a modern street rod style. The paint is Tamiya racing white (slightly off-white). The flame mask pattern is from the Jimmy Flinstone Testor's masks, but I had to transfer the pattern to wide 3M blue tape to get the mask to conform to the tight curves:

Posted Image

The ride height will be pretty low but not slammed. These rims and tires are from the parts box and they're narrow enough to not require large wheel tubs, just a little coaxing on the wheel wells with the Dremel.

Flamed Riv

01 September 2008 - 06:56 AM

I'm going to spend some time learning how to paint traditional "crab claw" flames in the style of the master, Brian Nehring. I studied his tutorial numerous times, and I have a lot of reference photos of his work that I'm using to try to get the right look. I don't have the technique under control yet, but I have to start somewhere so this prebuilt Riv will be the guinea pig. I'm using Ultra-Bright chrome foil for masking, and it seems to work well. I finally freehanded some flames that look acceptable:

Posted Image
Posted Image

Here's how the painting went. I can get the control that's needed, but I painted it too "spotty". I need to paint smooth strokes in between each flame lick. I'm also going to reverse the blue and purple colors in the scheme. I need to make thinner connections on the flame patterns, and fatter bases on each crab claw. This will allow the white color to show up on each crab claw base.

Posted Image

This is not a keeper, but at least it shows what I need to work on next.

Posted Image

It's all about the journey, right? I expect this process to take a few weeks (months?) before I end up with my first keeper.

Add a little fire to that Smoothster kit on the shelf

25 August 2008 - 08:57 AM

I'm in the process of a major cleanup and I came across these two extra hoods from the Testor's Smoothster kit. The skull hood is Tamiya dark blue metallic, and the flame hood is Tamiya black. If you want one then send me a PM and I'll mail it to you. Maybe someone could use one to finish that unbuilt kit on the shelf:

Posted Image

'50 Ford F1 street truck

24 August 2008 - 04:30 AM

The chassis and drivetrain for this truck are from the Willys coupe kit. When I saw the huge amount of space available in this engine bay and the last unbuilt Willys kit on my shelf I knew something had to be done, so I popped a fresh cutting wheel in the Dremel, sprayed a bunch of little plastic bits all over the floor, and glued together what was left over:

Posted Image
Posted Image

Aftermarket air cleaners and coil were added. I was glad to find out that the hood cleared the top of the engine:

Posted Image
Posted Image

The exhaust tips are from one of the old AMT '55 Chevy kits (Bel Air or Nomad):

Posted Image

A monster truck rim and sheet styrene were used to make these wheel tubs:

Posted Image

The soft styrene that's used in today's kits can be a drag, but on the bright side, it sure bends easily!:

Posted Image
Posted Image

I like the way the sun reflected in the camera lens on these last two photos:

Posted Image
Posted Image

Here's the link to the in-progess thread:
in-progress thread

Thanks for checking out the finished project!