Since I've been back to modeling for the last year and a half or so, I've taken on a couple projects that involved a lot of scratch'd stuff and heavy body mods, but nothing that really fit the bill of full on kustom. A few weeks ago, the bug to fix that hit me hard. I'm literally knee-deep in plastic shavings and I love it. Here's where I'm at on it so far.
The front end is just about wrapped up. There's a little tidying up to do and I need to do something with the hood yet...peak or a valley...something at least...then I can move on to the back half. Cruiser skirts are a must, and we'll see what I can come up with to echo the front out back. So far, nearly everything changed is all whittled out of 1/8" and 1/4" thick stock. The '59 Impala headlights and the still-chromed portion of the bumper from the kit are the exceptions.
There's over a 100 progress pics on my fokti (see sig) if you want to check 'em out. I've got a full build thread elsewhere too, if you want to find it it's out there. But for the sake of sparing my fingers and saving them for whittling rather than typing, I'll just start here with the latest mockup shots.
Hopefully a quickie. Tamiya Bright Red and Dull Red on there so far. I'm not sure yet whether I'll make it all dull or all shiny, but it won't stay both. lol
I still have no idea which colors I'll go with for the interior. I'm not a huge fan of single-color interiors on these, but I'm seriously tempted to run with the same colors inside. Stock black n' white would be pretty sharp, too. I dunno. I'll figure it out, but if you guys have any great ideas I'm happy to allow myself to be even more confused.
Okay, I'm a nerd. So shoot me. It's not every day I do a car that shares it's name with an element.
Quickie build to help me through a spot of perpetual brick walls on all my other projects. If it's not the weather being not very conducive to painting, it's a part. If it's not a part or paint it's my body being uncooperative. Sometimes, something has to give...thus...quickie! lol
The victim over the last few days has been this unremarkable yet not unseemly AMT 1966 Mercury Parklane. Aside from two NASTY sinkers on the drivers side lower quarters, it's really not too bad as far as the body goes. Mine also had goobered up quarter window trim, but that was much more my own fault than the kits.
Otherwise, it's a typical '60's annual style kit, with all that comes along with that. Metal-axle-through-the-engine, archaic door panel engraving, big-blobs chassis plate...you know the deal. But its overall proportions are fairly well done and I think it'll make for a good shelf model...and most importantly...I think I can crank it out within a week, give or take a day or so.
In addition to the basic cleanup (and fixing the previously mentioned huge sledgehammer dents on the lower quarters), I've scribed in some of the missing panel lines on the front clip. I elected to skip the front fender cap lines because they're so close to the molded-in marker lights, and I just didn't feel like fixing that if I screwed it up.
I'm also going with a vinyl top, just because I like the way they look on this car.