Jump to content


ShawnS

Member Since 27 Jan 2012
Offline Last Active Today, 12:32 AM
*****

Posts I've Made

In Topic: Scratch Building an Aussie Ford Falcon **October update**

20 October 2014 - 11:50 PM

I'm forever awestruck by how crisp and clean your work is, Shawn. Very inspiring!

 

 

Thanks for noticing John. I make a conscious effort to keep things clean and crisp as I go along as there is nothing worse than having a whole bunch of parts that need cleaning up all at once. It makes life a whole lot easier that's for sure.


In Topic: Scratch Building an Aussie Ford Falcon **October update**

18 October 2014 - 07:57 PM

The next fiddly thing to do was the handbrake mechanisms. Although I had previously done the handbrake system for the curbside version I wanted to refine what I did  to get it looking a bit better. It took me a while to figure out where I was going with it but I made it in the end.
Using K+S steel wire, Albion nickel silver and brass tubes, T2M 1mm springs and some evergreen this is what I came up with.
kfnERG.jpg
Szbfxg.jpg
In my eyes it's a lot better than the curbside version.
j4x1.jpg
A job for this week is to remake the curbside handbrake system to match the full detail version.

Other work done recently include.
Re-shaping the nose.
gg98eR.jpg
The right rear 1/4 window frame broke off at some stage and had to be replaced.
5asyXb.jpg
YZFCLI.jpg
And finally I got the curbside body in primer and fixed the issues on it. It's ready for paint now.
tXLdsM.jpg

After I have re-done the curbside handbrake system it's time to move on to the fuel and brake lines, it's not something that I have been looking forward to but I'll get it done .

 

Thanks for looking,

Cheers

ShawnS


In Topic: Scratch Building an Aussie Ford Falcon **October update**

18 October 2014 - 07:56 PM

Hi guys,

I have finished rebuilding the top of the engine bay,
rrTRJY.jpg
It's now stronger and slightly thicker. The only areas to survive the rebuild are marked in red.
OSnprt.jpg

I have solved the problem of having a working bonnet hinge by doing away with the hinge altogether. Let's face it you guys are only ever going to see the bonnet up or down so I figured I'll build it that way. I noticed that the front corners of the interior tub were directly under the hinge slots so I put a small box on both front corners,
MUkbO4.jpg
I also glued some styrene strips on to the hinge arms to make them thicker so they sit in the boxes nicely.
AV6YH6.jpg
MZrdxa.jpg
The next task was to make a strut for the drivers side. Obviously on the 1:1 it's there to keep the bonnet up but here it strictly decorative. I used Albion brass tube with a length of stainless rod from Hobby Design and some styrene rod. It's mounted on a bracket under the bonnet.
d8KNVf.jpg
LHPSeo.jpg
WjhX2E.jpg
TFesOV.jpg
The strut will be permanently mounted on the bonnet when closed and I can fold it down and put it in its place on the top of the engine bay when I want the bonnet to be displayed open.

 

To be continued....
 


In Topic: Scratch Building an Aussie Ford Falcon **October update**

16 September 2014 - 11:25 PM

^^^ What he said. Do you ever use rubber thimbles?

 

Don't worry guys I'm not immune to cutting myself or sticking myself with sharp objects like knives or 0.3mm drill bits.  Much blood has been spilled over the last few years as well as sweat and swear words.

 

This build has been insane how is it you are not working for a model company.

 

Nobody has asked me, mind you I'm not holding my breath either. :mellow: :)

 

Thanks guys.

Cheers

ShawnS


In Topic: Scratch Building an Aussie Ford Falcon **October update**

13 September 2014 - 03:15 PM

One problem that arose from cutting off the bonnet from the resin body shell was that the front 1/4 panels opened up about 1mm which meant that the resin bumper/airdam was too narrow. I remade the front bumper (a bit rounder this time) and managed to work a resin airdam with some boiling water to get it to stretch enough to fit the new wider bumper.
OGSi0m.jpg
siVKk1.jpg
XB81oX.jpg
I have been playing with the bonnet hinges recently and here's where I'm at. Thankfully Ford bonnet hinges were just one single arm on each side that went into the body so I didn't have to mess about with any convoluted design. For strength I chose brass.
qZo81C.jpg
oFYBGJ.jpg
Without any previous experience in making bonnet hinges I managed to get some brass rod and tube to come close to what I needed it to do.
YqPydb.jpg
but unfortunately it sat too high and too far forward.
YT233t.jpg
I tweaked it a little too much now the corners of the bonnet now touch the body and it still sits too far forward.
35mm1N.jpg
but that's where the experimenting ended because- Disaster again.
Ovuhsa.jpg
wNRYl6.jpg
I went to pick up the body to re-fit the bonnet and when I looked down there was a chunk of the engine bay missing. I have no idea how it happened but it did, now I will have to rebuild that whole area because there is no way I can re-glue and reinforce the broken area.

Obviously I'm not pleased with that last set back but it's only a model so it can be rebuilt.

Cheers

ShawnS