Model Cars Magazine Forum

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. I had the pleasure of meeting Bill Gould some time ago when he was moving out of SoCal. I marveled at the telescope that you see in his photo. When he describe what it actually did(it has a clockwork so that during long observations it automatically adjusts for the rotation of the earth) that I felt very , very humbled as a modeler. I agree with the intent of his essay but would contend that passion is not the right word. It is not passion that leads to craftsmanship. Following your passion will not lead to craftsmanship. If you are passionate about '32 Ford coupes, you may get to be very skilled at building them, but there will come a day when you have done as much as you can do and that is the end. No, following your passion will not make you a craftsman. My opinion is that you should forget you passion and follow your curiosity. Curiosity will lead you down many rabbit holes that will broaden you skill levels and give you the ability to think outside the box when figuring out how to do something. Along the path of curiosity somethings may, generate passion others will not, but every thing you learn along the way, will improve the next project. A craftsmen is a person who has access to a mental range of skills that allow them to do things in a way that others can't comprehend. I got back into modeling when I was 38 with a passion for '69 GTO's. I am now 70 and that passion died a long time ago, but I found I was curious about paint, which lead to airbrushing, and other forms of finish. I was building crude plastic parts and was curious about mills and lathes and working aluminum. I now have the ability to replace almost any part on any model. I became curious about using photo-etched and leaned how to solder really tiny parts with a resistance soldering unit. I am currently curious about using first surface mirrors and making aircraft (or rally cars) look like they are airborne without wires or other support, and became skilled at cutting models very precisely. So no, passion is not the road to craftsmanship, being curious about one thing that leads to the next and so on is what fires the craftsman. Some will call it always learning something new, but it is all about keeping your curiosity alive. I wish that I could say that I came to this conclusion on my own, but I didn't. I heard a TED talk(something I listen to on my morning walks) a while back and it just clicked. Here is that talk if you to are curious.
  3. In my case, it has nothing to do with "how many cars are in my display case". I build model cars because I have a passion for cars. For me it's not about passing time. I can go fishing to pass the time. I suppose I could build a car in a week as well if I were just going to assemble what's in the box, but as you stated, a large part of the fun is scratch building and figuring out how to do it. I just feel that effort, and my limited modeling time, is better directed at what I really enjoy doing. As is often the case, modelers find themselves in slumps because they take on projects that they are not particularly interested in. I rarely find myself in a slump because I am always looking forward to the next four wheeled project. Making a background, at least for me, would be a task that I would only undertake for the end result. There would be little enjoyment of the journey for me. Steve
  4. Your way beyond me Mr. Zordlowski. Remember I'm just a hick from flyover land. We're not as slick and as sophisticated you New Yorkers.
  5. Hi, Andrew. I'm kind of sitting back, formulating my plan, and making sure that's the next step, before I proceed.
  6. Thanks guys! Those fender flares had to go πŸ˜† I have another one to build. It'll be 4X4 theme and I'll keep the flares for that build... I like the idea of a JDM/Drifting style Chevy Luv as a build too and the flares (painted black) will work for that build as well. The kit decals stop on the fenders and I thought they should carry onto the hood so I used decals from the snow plow GMC to finish the stripes. Also, I pinned the tailgate so it functions now. I have to finish the paint and get moving to final assembly, it wont be long... 20200606_210123.mp4
  7. One point that inevitably comes up, in these threads, is that which states that, if one is scratchbuilding, and striving for perfection, they can't be having fun. Just because that pursuit isn't your idea of fun doesn't mean it can't be someone else's. I've seen many, many models that were/are superior to mine. Every time, my thought was "I want to do that!" I build a lot of curbside models and slammers. Even so, I try to add in a new technique, or improve a specific aspect of my modeling with each project. Is it always fun? Almost always! But, it is always rewarding. As I've aged, I've grown to enjoy the journey, more, and worry less about the destination.
  8. Now that is an interesting read. Passion is the key. I'm about to read the essay again. Thanks for posting the link.
  9. Read the quote from Dave Van and my reply to understand the context. πŸ™„
  10. Today
  11. Atlantis says the Chopper kit ships in a week......
  12. please let us know if you find some, i could use some also.
  13. I didn't expect just a television test pattern. I don't understand why someone feel a need to post that here.
  14. How much more can you honestly expect from a television test pattern?
  15. I know the feeling, "kitbash two kits to get what I want..."
  16. I was hoping someone would get it!πŸ˜…
  17. So...with the forthcoming Supernatural Impala and 007 Mustang kits due soon how about Round2 get to work on the just as iconic Rockford Files Firebird Esprit? I know the resin bits are available to backdate the β€˜79 but it seems like this would fit right in with Round2’s TV licensing agenda if they could put it all in one box with some retooling. And don’t forget the 853 OKG license plates on the decal sheet.
  18. Ice, Ice, Baby....too kool.... -RRR
  19. You mention that Kevin @ Missing Link has a more correct grille for the '71 - '72 Mustang Mach I. In doing a search on the web I can nothing on it. Do you have any photos showing what it looks like, in case it's need for correcting the front end of the upcoming '71 Bond Mustang?
  1. Load more activity