Model Cars Magazine Forum

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Does anyone know what modern car kits, that have tires in different widths front to rear? (Pro Street/Touring type of tire.) Trevor
  3. Thanks Ron! I think this would be another kit that would be fun to do a full chassis and engine swap with. The stumbling block will be a finding a chassis to fit. I suspect that it would require a chassis stretch from possibly a '65-'67 Impala? Not sure at this point. Steve
  4. Thanks everyone! This has definitely become one of my favourite builds, and the little personal touches that make it mean something to me are why I prefer kits to diecasts. I have quite a few of the latter too, but I like remembering the concept and process of how I ended up with the completed build in my cabinet.
  5. You all made me vary curious as to the variations. I found this link. http://www.mustangandfords.com/features/1812-1971-1973-mustang-spotters-guide
  6. Super nice Michelle!
  7. Thanks James, all I've got is Hobby Lobby here, and it could be years before they get them(if ever). I guess I'll just pre-order one, and hope it shows up soon.
  8. the resin cast version is way better then the one that comes in the kit.
  9. It was confirmed in that live stream that the problem is the new tool 70.5 Camaro from the 90s isn't actually equilateral when comparing the two front fenders side to side so the new front nose piece didn't fit...at all. This is the reason these "new" kits based on old tooling are so labor intensive and take so long to finish and you see things like the Vegas just getting entirely new bodies done.
  10. Thanks all! One thing I enjoyed was the nostalgia of building something I first did 36 years ago, and using pieces that I still had from back then. A good lesson in not throwing even the poorest kit away!
  11. I can't speak to that particular site, but my LHS got them in on Thursday and there are several vendors selling them on eBay, so they are out there.
  12. This is a very thought provoking thread. My perspective is that "modeling", first and foremost, has to be a passion in order for an individual to reach his or her own personal pinnacle. In this respect, I disagree with Pete. Passion promotes drive. I'm curious about space travel, but that doesn't mean that I want to do it. Regardless of the word we use, whether or not a "pinnacle" can ever be actually reached is probably a moot point. The hobby is a continual life long learning experience, as most things are. Every individual has lengths that they are willing or able to go to, and I guess in that respect, there are parameters that one will set for himself that will dictate the extent to which he will go. For example, I see individuals who will mill entire engines from aluminum, or build frames from brass stock. Very admirable skills, but I know that these are things that I will never do, so I put them out of my mind. But for most things, I try to open my mind and absorb techniques that I see as things that I might try to utilize at some point. There are almost no techniques that I use that I have "invented" myself. Virtually every advancement that I have made in this hobby has been learned from other individuals. It's for this reason that I always keep my eyes and my mind open to new ideas. All too often, we can get "stagnated" in our thinking and are not willing to try a new technique or material, and if we really want to advance, sometimes we have to take the time to learn, and refrain from taking the short cuts. I often see individuals looking for "easy" ways to do this, that or the other thing, and I really think that this is the wrong attitude for advancement. As an example, I increasingly see individuals looking for a solution to finishing chrome trim because "foil is too hard". As with anything in life, we do not emerge from the womb with the ability to complete complex tasks. It may take some time and practice. But if you are not willing to put forth the effort to learn advanced techniques, or use the best materials provided to us, you will not advance to where you wish to be, at least if you're really serious about reaching that pinnacle. I guess my only suggestion would be to watch, listen and learn. It's up to you how far you take it. In the end, you don't have to build the best model in the world, just the best model that you are capable of at the time. Steve
  13. Thanks for the welcome! Didn't get to spend as long as I would have liked looking around on here yesterday, but the flipside of that was that I had a very solid day of working on a couple of kits......
  14. Great looking CHP, my friend!!
  15. I am currently building a diorama for a backdrop. When looking back at photos of my builds, where I took the photo is all over the place. Add in the variations in lighting and the results were hit and miss. Like you I have seen models displayed with nice back drops and like the added touch it brings. It makes viewing the subject more interesting.
  16. Today
  17. I had the pleasure of meeting Bill Gould some time ago when he was moving out of SoCal. I marveled at the telescope that you see in his photo. When he describe what it actually did(it has a clockwork so that during long observations it automatically adjusts for the rotation of the earth) that I felt very , very humbled as a modeler. I agree with the intent of his essay but would contend that passion is not the right word. It is not passion that leads to craftsmanship. Following your passion will not lead to craftsmanship. If you are passionate about '32 Ford coupes, you may get to be very skilled at building them, but there will come a day when you have done as much as you can do and that is the end. No, following your passion will not make you a craftsman. My opinion is that you should forget you passion and follow your curiosity. Curiosity will lead you down many rabbit holes that will broaden you skill levels and give you the ability to think outside the box when figuring out how to do something. Along the path of curiosity somethings may, generate passion others will not, but every thing you learn along the way, will improve the next project. A craftsmen is a person who has access to a mental range of skills that allow them to do things in a way that others can't comprehend. I got back into modeling when I was 38 with a passion for '69 GTO's. I am now 70 and that passion died a long time ago, but I found I was curious about paint, which lead to airbrushing, and other forms of finish. I was building crude plastic parts and was curious about mills and lathes and working aluminum. I now have the ability to replace almost any part on any model. I became curious about using photo-etched and leaned how to solder really tiny parts with a resistance soldering unit. I am currently curious about using first surface mirrors and making aircraft (or rally cars) look like they are airborne without wires or other support, and became skilled at cutting models very precisely. So no, passion is not the road to craftsmanship, being curious about one thing that leads to the next and so on is what fires the craftsman. Some will call it always learning something new, but it is all about keeping your curiosity alive. I wish that I could say that I came to this conclusion on my own, but I didn't. I heard a TED talk(something I listen to on my morning walks) a while back and it just clicked. Here is that talk if you to are curious.
  18. In my case, it has nothing to do with "how many cars are in my display case". I build model cars because I have a passion for cars. For me it's not about passing time. I can go fishing to pass the time. I suppose I could build a car in a week as well if I were just going to assemble what's in the box, but as you stated, a large part of the fun is scratch building and figuring out how to do it. I just feel that effort, and my limited modeling time, is better directed at what I really enjoy doing. As is often the case, modelers find themselves in slumps because they take on projects that they are not particularly interested in. I rarely find myself in a slump because I am always looking forward to the next four wheeled project. Making a background, at least for me, would be a task that I would only undertake for the end result. There would be little enjoyment of the journey for me. Steve
  19. Your way beyond me Mr. Zordlowski. Remember I'm just a hick from flyover land. We're not as slick and as sophisticated you New Yorkers.
  20. Hi, Andrew. I'm kind of sitting back, formulating my plan, and making sure that's the next step, before I proceed.
  21. Thanks guys! Those fender flares had to go 😆 I have another one to build. It'll be 4X4 theme and I'll keep the flares for that build... I like the idea of a JDM/Drifting style Chevy Luv as a build too and the flares (painted black) will work for that build as well. The kit decals stop on the fenders and I thought they should carry onto the hood so I used decals from the snow plow GMC to finish the stripes. Also, I pinned the tailgate so it functions now. I have to finish the paint and get moving to final assembly, it wont be long... 20200606_210123.mp4
  1. Load more activity