Model Cars Magazine Forum

1976 Ventura ALMOST FINISHED 5/11/14

am73grand

I am still waiting on the decals for my 'Cuda. I started working on my next build, a stretched '69 Camaro. I really wasn't happy with the way it was coming out so I dropped it in favor of this. 1976 Pontiac Ventura.

v5-vi.jpg

The hood is actually a Camaro piece but after some trimming it fit pretty well. Then I cut out the hatch:

v4-vi.jpg

I started on the cage:

v1-vi.jpg

I have not decided on motivation yet but you can be assured there will be a blower sticking through that huge hood.

Thanks for looking!

Edited by am73grand

Got some more done on this one. I had to re-do the cage. It didn't leave enough room for the windshield. I learned a valuable lesson and will be building cages like this from now on:

v6-vi.jpg

v7-vi.jpg

Got the engine painted and the blower stretched.

v11-vi.jpg

Next up is painting the cage and floor and starting assembly of the engine.

Thanks for looking!!!!

Deff watching this build throwing a blower on this block has me intrigued. Migh help me save some money on rg motors

what blower are u using :)

I am using the blower off a McDonalds top fuel dragster. I stretched the rear of the case using some Evergreen plastic tubing. The "blanket" is medical tape painted black.

v13-vi.jpg

The blower case is to wide to fit on the intake as it is from the kit so I added material all the way around to make it wide enough:

v12-vi.jpg

I've also started modding the engine plate to remove the water pump and other accessories. I'll post pictures once it is done and in place.

Thanks for looking!

U sould use a RG bigblock much more biger an way more details an since u like the big blowers RG has the superman

Thanks for the suggestion Phil. I've used a couple of the Ross Gibson Motors and to me they are not worth the money. It takes a ton of work to clean them up and then sand the surfaces flat so everything fits. Don't even get me started on the pinholes in the worst possible places. I've found it is a much better value to buy an entire dragster or funny car. I use the engine, wheels, tires, fire bottles, fuel tanks and other small bits. Then I can sell the un-used body to slot car guys.

Thanks for the suggestion Phil. I've used a couple of the Ross Gibson Motors and to me they are not worth the money. It takes a ton of work to clean them up and then sand the surfaces flat so everything fits. Don't even get me started on the pinholes in the worst possible places. I've found it is a much better value to buy an entire dragster or funny car. I use the engine, wheels, tires, fire bottles, fuel tanks and other small bits. Then I can sell the un-used body to slot car guys.

Good idea Ron, and that keeps a good stocked parts box. I had no idea those engines had those problems

• 3 weeks later...

I've been sick the past two weeks so my building was put on hold. Managed to get back to this one yesterday and today. I got the interior almost wrapped up. I need to add pedals and a shifter. Then I'll get to work on the front suspension. Thanks for looking!!!!

v18-vi.jpg

v19-vi.jpg

v20-vi.jpg