Model Cars Magazine Forum

24 Hour Build Project....Tim Richmond's '87 Monte Carlo

roadhawg

Folgers-87-22g_zpsce93c1a5.jpg

This is what I chose for the 7th annual 24 Hour Build starting today. I don't build too many Nascars, I much prefer short trackers, but I had this in the stash and I had a set of Powerslide decals, so why not?

To me, this era of Nascar was the best looking cars. They still looked like their factory counterparts, but looked like a racecar too.

IMG_2685_zpsf3b398e1.jpg

Had Tim lived, he would probably have 7 or 8 Championships by now.

I won't be doing any plumbing or wiring, but I will be making a few corrections to the basic kit...IF I get finished at all, lol.

Waiting for the start in 21 minutes.....well, 20 now........hope to be back in a couple hours with updates!

Edited by roadhawg

10:45.....engine is close, just need a few more details. The kit headers aren't right, so I scrounged up some from the parts box. I think they're from a recent Nascar kit.

IMG_2783_zps709017ed.jpg

Used one of my short track seats. Made up some belts from masking tape....

IMG_2782_zpse6267089.jpg

Time for a short break and a bowl of ice cream, lol...

IMG_2779_zps6e702e9c.jpg

Thanks everyone! Well, been rolling right along. It's now 2:30, and this is the last update till morning. Got the tires/wheels ready...

IMG_2789_zpsaf06ff60.jpg

These kits have a double shock setup, but by the 80s everyone was running single shocks. Simply cut one away....

IMG_2786_zpsa0bb187a.jpg

Another thing I like to do is cut away the window net, then glue it to the inside of the roll cage, like it's hanging down. I've never seen a real race car with no one in it and the net up.....

IMG_2785_zpsefdf8cd2.jpg

Heres where I'm currently at......

IMG_2790_zps03c12c71.jpg

Im headed for the sack for a little nap, then start decals in the morning. Thanks for looking!

Lookin awesome so far, question about the window net, shouldnt it be the other way around if it is hanging down? Like the long edge attached to the bottom bar?

Ha ha! Yep, you're right! I got it wrong, thats what trying to hurry will do! Won't have time to tear it apart to fix it, so I guess it'll be our lil' secret! ;)