Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT's Ford F350 pickups

mk11

• 2 weeks later...

Well with amt reissuing this

product.jpg

I think they want to try and compete with this

TOY-SCL2-20011.jpg

We all Know that the moebius will be miles ahead in detail. Im thinking i may have to get one of each, one would be to build a replica of this (my great grandpa's truck) its a 78 F250 2x4 ohio truck all its life no rotting just a little surface rust.545167_450619261634675_298308084_n.jpg

And the other to have for awesomeness. What are your thoughs? think amt is hoping to compete with moebius?

Edited by Platerpants

Here are some of the chrome shot variations in this series...

First pic is from the red '75 'new Ford truck' issue. It contains the optional Thrush sidepipes, five slot 16" mags, chrome air cleaner, basic door mirrors and stock hubcaps.

75amtfrd1 zps25777930

Here's a partial tree from the '75 Star Truk which was the most heavily optioned of all, including the sidepipes, box rails, bumper guards, western mirrors and slot mags. <edit>The Star Truk was also issued in '76 and '77 with no changes to the box art but containing the updated '76/'77 grill and cab(for '77).<thanks Mr Carter> The Mod Ford race team combo kit (75 F350, trailer and 40 Ford modified) had it as well but the other regular '75 and '76 annual trucks had the stripped down style tree shown above.

P5103823 zpsc745c418

P5206548

The blue '77 annual edition featured a shortened chrome shot with only stock wheel covers included. The plastic allotment for the extra chrome pieces was probably used in the included canopy instead.

77f350amta zpsacf317e6

Boonie Boss/Matchbox Ranger chrome shot

c99c16be-2913-4c37-ab23-1864e52bcb79 zps1a3c0857

Here's the Tuff Truk chrome shot with the oddball 4 slot mags (also used in the Red Alert Chevelle and GMC stepside kits, among others) . The custom grill was not chromed in this kit, just the stacked headlights.

77tfftrk

P5243868 zps2778de82

The front bumper supplied in the regular 75-77 truck kits is a pretty good replica of the '64 - '77 item. The boonie boss issue was bulked up and had slots cut in the top for the supplied driving lights along with holes in front for the push bar. It was included in the stones 4x4 kit (without the driving lights) as well as the reissued boonie boss(ranger) by matchbox/lesney in about '81. Neither is accurate for the '78/'79 truck, though, as the upper lip should be flatter and wider; an accurate one can be found in the amt '78 Bronco kit. The accurate factory '64-'79 rear chrome sport bumper was carried through all the incarnations of this kit. A resin caster might want to pick up on those vertical bumper guards included with the Star Truk, as they would be accurate for the '67 - '72 trucks as well, unless Moebius chooses to include them in their kits.

As far as that goes, since all these issues contain about 80-90% similar parts and the best one is due to be reissued soon, maybe the resin casters could look at supplying the '75 and '76/'77 grills too...

mike

Edited by mk11

Hey Mike, glad you posted those pix. I have one 8 lug 5 slot mag wheel in my parts stash that I got in a parts box trade, never knew what kit it originally came from. now that I've seen the trees for the AMT F350s, I see where it was from.

Edited by Longbox55

Some 78-79 minutia. If I recall, from rebuilding mine, the Stones truck would have to be a late 78, not sure of the month, or it could be a 79. Early 78 PU & Broncos had round headlights.

I agree with the 73 grille, and rest through 77 for that matter. Yeah, yeah, yeah keep dreamin'. Really happy to hear a 71 is on the way. Of the 3 pre-cove, insert grille trucks, the 71 looks the best to me. That kit could easily be made into a 70, or 72. If you throw BMF on the 71 don't forget the grille inserts, the center crossbars were a snapped on chrome piece on the 1:1 trucks.

Can you tell? I love these trucks...

Me too :P Good point on the '71 grill.

The headlamp difference in '78 wasn't actually a matter of build date but of trim level. The Custom trim level had the round lights and the Rangers had the square ones. Chev and Dodge had similar styling cues in '79/'80.

mike

That makes sense, volumes could be filled with factory stock arrangements. Now if we can get a PE fret of all those badges. My 70 was a Ranger which had the wide chrome strip, which it appears on the 71 box art. A friend of mine had a 71 which had the narrow chrome strip, and for the life of me I don't remember the badging.

I was doing alright working on a gasser, now I can't stop thinking about Ford pickups:)

Me too :P Good point on the '71 grill.

The headlamp difference in '78 wasn't actually a matter of build date but of trim level. The Custom trim level had the round lights and the Rangers had the square ones. Chev and Dodge had similar styling cues in '79/'80.

mike

Yep, you'd find the round eyes on box trucks and flatbeds, too, though I've seen a few '78 Customs with square eyes. Could have been added by a subsequent owner, though. The Rangers and '79 style always seemed more common to find, so if a guy cracked up the front end of his Custom and went to the salvage yard for replacement stuff, he'd have likely just used a '78 Ranger or '79 setup.

Yep, you'd find the round eyes on box trucks and flatbeds, too, though I've seen a few '78 Customs with square eyes. Could have been added by a subsequent owner, though. The Rangers and '79 style always seemed more common to find, so if a guy cracked up the front end of his Custom and went to the salvage yard for replacement stuff, he'd have likely just used a '78 Ranger or '79 setup.

_57-vi.jpg

c3_3-vi.jpg

Doesn't look all that difficult to change out to the round headlight. I also want to shorten a chassis and do a step side. You can start with the one in the AMT '53 Ford kit, the bed only changed slightly over the years.

I have been wanting -- no , needing -- one of the original 70's issues of the coveted AMT F-350 Annual kits , for in excess of twenty years (!)

Back in the mid-late 1980's , there were gads of the original Big Foot kits around , and usually at blow-them-out prices ( typically , 99c - $1.50 !) .

I bought them only because the two-wheel-drive suspension parts were included ( I had / have no interested in the four-wheel-drive versions ) .

My first experience with one of the original 'annual' issues was the Star Truk [sic] from ca.1976 .

After waiting for what seemed like an eternity for the RTD Bus with my mother and some family friends , the 6V71 Detroit-powered death trap pulled-up the stop at the curb in front of the Whittier Police Department . Thirty-five cents was pulled from my Levi's Cords and carefully dropped-into the bus fare jar . The bus' driver revved-up the noisy Detroit ; its GMC oxidiser spooling-up as plumes of spent fuel went billowing from the bus' 4" exhaust .

We were off !

At the toy store in the Puente Hills Mall had a display of AMT's latest offerings . Among their offerings was the Star Truk ; I had to have it !

$3.25 later , it was all mine !

Given that I was 6 years old , my skills were , shall we say , *mediocre* , and the kit disappeared to the annals of time .

So , here I am , once again , craving another one of these ...

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a pic of the parts included only in the '77 Boonie Boss/Matchbox Ranger 2wd editions from this series....

P6093871 zpsa476dfe3

The blue sprue is from the Matchbox reissue (F350 Ranger) of the Boonie Boss. As mentioned above, the BB and it's reissue also included a modified front bumper with provisions for mounting the push bar and driving lights. No 4wd parts were included in these.

The following are pics of the main unique parts in the Tuff Truk issue. It also had a full width louvered rear window plate and rear dual wheel spacers.

76f350tfftrkgrl

tufftrkfnd_zps790f9e35.jpg

...and a pic of the factory style topper found only in the blue '77 F350 kit

77f350amtcmpr

mike

Edited by mk11

• 2 weeks later...