Model Cars Magazine Forum

So what are your favorite muscle cars of 60's and 70's

Well Tommy, that explains your Avatar doesn't it :lol:

Ed

Lol....I wish. I think the avatar is more the result of ex-wives. ;)

Although this is not a photo of my actual car, it's pretty close. My favorite was my 1966 Chevelle SS 396 Super Sport that I purchased in 1969 in my senior year of high school. Mine was just like this one, Cameo Beige, except mine had the code 6 Beige vinyl top, which was a little darker than the paint. 4 speed Muncie trans, console, bucket seats, same hubcaps...man I loved that car! I later made many mods to this car including transplanting a 427 bored .030 over into it. The new engine had L-88 heads that were worked on by a local guy, a Crane roller cam setup, an Edelbrock tunnel ram with twin Holley 600 center shooters, Hooker Headers into 2 1/2" straight pipes into Corvair Turbo mufflers. Rear gear was 4.11 posi. I made some homemade ladder bars for the rear. What a great car that was and I kick my self in the butt all the time for ever selling it! As they say, Hindsight is 20-20!

1966ChevelleSS-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

I must say that '66 Chevelles have a soft spot in my heart too. My late cousin had a black one, and we spent many nights in that car. It was an SS396, but the 396 wasn't in it....we replaced it with a 350. He only got beat once....by a '65 Falcon that came down from a nearby county just to race him. I built a model of it years ago, but I want to do another one now that my skills have improved a little.

So many to choose from, it's almost impossible to narrow it down.

My top two: 1966/67 Charger and 1967 GTX. And there are a TON more MOPARS I would add to the list, but I'll keep it to the top two. (Actually I would add ANY MOPAR muscle car from about 1963 or so to about 1974 or so). ;)

Am I a MOPAR fan? Oh yeah! :lol:

I fell in love with the 66/67 Chargers when I was a kid. I love fastbacks, and it being a full size hemi car, just gives me all the right vibes. I've built two of the MPC versions in the past, one of the Revell versions with two more waiting in the wings for the right rainy day. For the same reasons I'm also partial to the fastback Barracudas, Torinos and Falcon XB's.

70 chevelle SS. Best looking car of all time in my opinion.(dad has an L-34 70 in the garage so I'm biased)

70 monte Carlo (I have one in my garage so I'm biased )

zl-1 vette

zl-1 camaro

any motion car

409 impala

455 sd firebird

my uncle has 3 dusters. They're not bad looking.

Gm biased but I'd take em all!

Id have to say theres many 60s/70s muscle cars that are my favorite....

70 Plymouth Super bird.

69/70 Pontiac Grand Prix SJ.

70 AMC Rebel.

70,73 GTO.

75 Pontiac Trans Am(had one once).

73 Ford Falcon GTB coupe(Australian muscle car).

70/71 Maverick grabber.

69 Impala SS(had one once).

74 AMX 401.

70 Mercury Cyclone Spoiler.

73 Chevy Laguna S3.

73 Pontiac Grand Am and Can Am.

71 Dodge Demon.

66 Buick Skylark GS.

• 3 years later...

Old thread but i would want to add mine.

87 Buick GNX.

70 Buick GSX Stage 1 (wimbledon white)

64 Buick Wildcat.

67-69 Camaro.

65-66 Chevrolet Impala 396.

67-68 Chevrolet Impala 427.

61-62 Chevrolet 409 (Bubble tops)

66 & 70 Chevrolet Chevelle.

61 Pontiac Catalina 421 Super Duty (Bubble top)

64,66 & 69 Pontiac GTO

70-73 Pontiac Firebird/Trans Am.

63-64 Dodge/Plymouth Max Wedge/Hemi cars.

68-70 Dodge Charger.

70-71 Dodge Challenger.

70-71 Plymouth Cuda/Barracuda.

67-69 Plymouth Barracuda.

70 Chrysler 300 Hurst.

68-69 Dodge Coronet Super Bee.

68-69 Plymouth Roadrunner.

68-74 AMC Javelin.

66 Olds 4-4-2

70 Olds 4-4-2 w30

67-69 Ford Mustang fastback big-block.

68-70 Ford Torino Cobra Jet.

And i like pretty much any US car made between 1900 and 1973 lol

I've always loved the big stuff. Buick Wildcat, Ford XL, Pontiac 2+2, Chrysler 300 (letter and non letter), Mercury S-55 and Marauder, Impala SS, etc. And the bigger Personal Luxury cars, Thunderbird, Riviera, Toronado, and big (pre '69) Grand Prix. I like comfort, convenience, and luxury with my muscle. May not win many drag races. But, nothing to be ashamed of either.

Scott

This is easy. My favorite muscle car is my 1966 Mercury S55 vert. Blew off a guy yesterday coming back from the store. Nothing but headlights in my rear view mirror. Maybe he didn't see those 428 markers on my lower front fender panels. He wanted to race.

Mine would be :

1965/66 Barracuda( brother and I raced one in 1966)

1966 Chevy II SS L-79 Had one in 1969

Not a muscle car by any means but a 1970 Opel GT

These would be at the TOP of my list of must have cars if I ever came into some serious money...

And I wouldn't have just one of each! :D

I too love the long bodied cars of the 60s through 70s era but also love horse power...for me these would be great...

69-72 Grand Prix

66-70 Bonneville

70-76 Trans Am/Firebird

70-74 GTO

66-70 Cadillac

64-72 Oldsmobile big or small body

71 Mercury Cyclone

65-70 Mercury Parklane,etc.

67-70 AMC Ambassador,Rebel,SST,71-74 AMX,70-74 Hornet

64-70 Chrysler 300,Newport,New Yorker,Imperial

62-70 Buick Skylark,Lesaber,Electra,Wildcat

65-70 Plymouth Monaco,Fury,Cuda,

66-69 Impala,Caprice

69-70 Plymouth Superbird,Daytona,GTX,RR

68-70 Lincoln

67,68 Ford Galaxie

70-72 Torino

65-72 Dodge Polara,Demon

There is just too many to chose from...many big or luxury cars had good performance levels too.

I'd take the two muscle cars that I owned back in a heartbeat. Both were reasonably priced back then! Price them now.

1. '65 GTO - Repainted Goldish-Copper wen I got it, 0.60 over 389 when I got it, 4 Speed, replaced 389 with SD-421.

2. '69 Z/28 Camaro - Datona Blue, White Stripes, DZ 302, 4 Speed, Posi... Fairly high optioned car I was second owner.

Traded the Z/28 and a few bucks for a Non-Muscle Car '64 Corvette, Big Block Convertible Hardtop 4 Speed, wished I'd kept the Camaro. It did have that guttural push you back in the seat feel though, drank gas by the tankful to do so!

Even though it didn't have a HEMI I always loved Dan Gurneys AAR/CUDAS.

Fast in a straight line and could carve curves very well for back in the day. Way ahead of it's time in a go fast package that did it all!

Just my opinion!!! The best factory supplies shifter was the Pistol Grip. The ergonomics and look of that shifter begged you to band gears every time you touched it. "RASS"

Add to my list the '73 Colonnade A-body GM performance cars. The Buick Century GS, Chevrolet Malibu (and ElCamino) SS, GMC Sprint SP, Oldsmobile Cutlass 4-4-2, and Pontiac's LeMans Sport GTO. Two other odd ones I like are the '74 Buick Apollo GSX, and the '74 Pontiac Ventura GTO. I also love Mercury Cyclones, from 1964 through 1972. (Yes there was a Cyclone option package for the 1972 notchback Montegos and Montego MXs for the first half of the model year. But, not for the new Montego GT.) I also like the '72 Gran Torino Sport. Another one, the '71 Hornet SC/360.

So basically, I like the odd ball muscle cars. I even thought the '71 and '72 Comet GT was kind of cool. What can I say? I got strange tastes.

Scott

• 4 months later...

Right now, this is my favorite... mainly because it's Mine! ;):D

10354667_936384309705821_509506297473773

1971 Mach 1 Mustang, 351C-2V Ram Air (pushing an estimated 400hp), AOD, 9-inch w/3.00 "cruising" gears. "Built, not bought"

As far as Muscle Cars go: I'm a fan of pretty much anything with a long hood, short trunk, 2-doors, and a hopped-up V8 with some big, fat tires out back.

Edited by Mister 4x4